"Thinking" About Kimber Solo

This is a discussion on "Thinking" About Kimber Solo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have have 3 pistols (G19, G26 and HK USP Compact ) I am starting to appreciate concealed carry and how tough it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: "Thinking" About Kimber Solo

"Thinking" About Kimber Solo

So I have have 3 pistols (G19, G26 and HK USP Compact ) I am starting to appreciate concealed carry and how tough it is to do well. My current HK I paid $600 about 6 months ago. One of my two favorite dealers will give me $525, I suspect the other a bit more.

I have had my eye on the Kimber Solo, for about $720 (I know I can get it a bit cheaper online but like to support my local dealers).

So, with the G19 and 26, and wanting a "pocket" 9mm, am I crazy to trade even an older HK USP for the Kimber Solo?

I know I could easily save but I think 3 is a good number for me. Probably will add a HD shotgun soon.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

I was looking for a smaller 9mm too since I was tired of carrying the Glock 26 in the summer. I had gun lust after seeing a stainless Solo at my local shop. If it wasn't their display model I would have picked it up right then and there. Glad I didn't after doing some research and seeing the problems people have been having with them. I decided to get a Kahr PM9 instead and I'm glad I did. It's not as pretty as the Solo, but I have already run over 300 rounds through it without a single issue. Kimber makes great guns, so once they get the bugs worked out and it's more reliable, I'll pick one up and give the wife the "hand-me down" PM9.

I would check out the reviews first. There seems to be quite a few problems with them. I don't know it personally, only referring to what I have read.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

GM
    I like Kimbers, but I would never get a Solo; not yet. It is a way too new product and it still might have many bugs. If I wanted a sub-compact 9mm I should get the PM9 or the MK9
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Ruger LC9 or Keltec PF9. I would avoid kimber like the plague.

I've worked in technology for 15 years and I apply the same rule to guns that I apply to technology... Never buy ANYTHING first gen.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I hear you all loud and clear, thank you. That little gun does feel great in my hand. Will have to wait a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I've worked in technology for 15 years and I apply the same rule to guns that I apply to technology... Never buy ANYTHING first gen.
    I own first gen glocks, first gen LCR, first gen LC9, first gen p3at, first gen xd's.... problems not found

Many had hoped the Solo would mark a new chapter in Kimber out-of-the-box reliability (overall), and initial quality. So far, that unfortunately does not seem to be the case. It's disappointing; the Solo really seemed like the near-perfect pocket rocket 9. I would not recommend it at this time.

VIP Member
    It's a shame a company like Kimber, who puts a premium price on their products, can't put a premium quality product out.

Have read too many horror stories about their reliability out of the box. I'll pass on them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I have had my eye on the Kimber Solo, for about $720
    You'll be able to keep your eye on it for a while.
    Kimber has ceased production on the Solo.
    I guess they (wisely) want to work out the feeding problems.

I hope they do, because it sure is a beauty.

Guns and more - Can you divulge the source of your information that Kimber has ceased production of the Solo?

I have a Solo at Kimber CS now for a month....They called me after a complaint letter I had written. I asked point blank, "Have you ceased production on the Solo?" Was told, absolutely not. They said, a lot of false info on the gun boards.

I loved the gun....fired well...sent it back for mag release being hard to press. Getting very impatient with their CS. Goin to give them another week then ratchet up my demands.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Just received my Solo back from Kimber CS. It had been returned for peening of the locking lugs, both on the barrel and the slide. Service ticket says they concur with the peening, and replaced both slide and barrel. I think that either the barrel or slide, or both, might have undergone a design revision. I used to have to articulate the barrel CW or CCW to remove it from the slide, same technique was required for re-assembly. This is no longer required. Upon inspection I can not determine what might have been changed, and I don't have the old parts for comparison. Maybe I'm just feeling a different tolerance stackup. Anyway I'm glad to have it back. I had put around 400 rounds through it before the service, and I'll tell you now that was enough to make me fall in love with the little fella. It shoots great. I didn't really appreciate how easy it is to carry until I started carrying my G27 again while the Solo was in the shop. The G27 didn't seem to be that fat before I got the Solo, but it sure seems that way now. I shall resist the urge to make any comparisons involving spouses.

Good to lurk and see who is reliable. Thanks DC.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links