Feeling the itch for a 1911

This is a discussion on Feeling the itch for a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last year about this time I started feeling the urge to buy a 1911. I had it narrowed down to a SA LW Operator or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Feeling the itch for a 1911

Feeling the itch for a 1911

Last year about this time I started feeling the urge to buy a 1911. I had it narrowed down to a SA LW Operator or a Kimber Pro Carry II. I ended up not getting either and instead using my summer overtime money to purchase my AR-15 which has been heaps and loads of fun. Fast forward to yesterday at the range. A buddy of my dads came along and brought his Colt CCO. I ran a few mags through it and decided I had to have something in the same configuration! I really like the Officers frame with the commanders slide. So, here is what I am looking at so far.

1911 C3
    Kimber America | Compact Stainless II

I have ZERO experience with sig 1911's. I am aware of Kimbers some times hit or miss quality and fairly ludicrous break in period but I have also found a lot of tips to help with that.

My requirements are under 1000.00 dollars and under 30 ounces unloaded weight. Also must be a officers frame with a commander slide. Any other suggestions?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

That's a "happy" itch to have!

The Kimber scare story is over-hyped, IMO. While the Kimber manual recommends a break-in of 400-500 rounds of FMJ, don't interpret that as "it's unreliable until broken in." My CDP Pro II (the Kimber version of a Lightweight Commander) had nary a hiccup once I stopped using the lousy OEM mag, and I fed it every round I keep on hand (ball, Hydra Shoks, Silertips, and lead SWC reloads). Maybe mine is the one perfect Kimber that ever left their factory, but with my luck I kinda doubt it.

FWIW, I got mine (new) at a gun show for $950 3 years ago. Prices have gone up since then, but I think you might be able to find one close to your target price. Dan Wesson also offers a CCO, but it's a lot more expensive, around $1500 list price. You might keep an eye open for a Colt CCO on the on-line auction sites, too... you never know what might turn up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'm not scared of Kimber either. If I ever bump into a deal on an Ultra CDP II, I'll be on it like a monkey on a cupcake. Also, as Gasmitty said, you're within striking range of Colts so you may as well consider some of those.

Good luck finding a CCO for under 1K...but I think this would be a great gun.

CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON CCO Bobtail

here is a decent find also...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=227944984
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    feeling the itch??? Go ahead and scratch!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

S&W has a CCO model you can find for under a grand. A buddy of mine has one and has had no issues at all. It shoots well. You might get lucky and find a Kimber Compact CPD.

Product: Model SW1911

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

One second thought this is looking pretty sexy as well...

Kimber America | Ultra Carry II
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II that was flawless. The majority of problems seem to be with 3" barreled models, but it seems to be a problem across all manufacturers. As long as you stay with 4" & 5" barrels, you should be fine. I recently got a used SA Mil-Spec and am extremely happy with it's performance. I've never had trouble concealing the Government-sized guns.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Smaller is not always better when it comes to 1911s. Stick with your initial want................CCO..........Officer lightweight frame with Commander slide. That way your not messing with the timing of the 1911's operation.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I get that urge too, but mine would be solely for range and HD duty. My preference is a stictly GI version--no frills and gagets--just like JMB designed and my seabee daddy carried!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have the itch too. Almost bought an American Classic 1911. If they had it in a smaller size I would have bought it. I want to say it was $639 and all stainless. Nice looking gun. I'm saving for a Kimber 9mm carry gun myself. They are too sexy not to own.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    S&W has a CCO model you can find for under a grand. A buddy of mine has one and has had no issues at all. It shoots well. You might get lucky and find a Kimber Compact CPD.
    My brother-in-law got one of these a few weeks ago, and it is SWEET! I haven't shot it yet, but he has. It's his first 1911, but he's got the bug now, and it won't be his last. I'm looking at the S&W pretty hard now, too, but I think I'm going to end up with a Colt 100th Anniversary edition for my next 1911.

Regards,
    Jim

Look at the new Ruger SR 1911. I know it is new. But it is 100% American made by a company who stands behind their product. They are just hitting the market but you should be able to find one for about 6 bills or so if you are patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    Look at the new Ruger SR 1911. I know it is new. But it is 100% American made by a company who stands behind their product. They are just hitting the market but you should be able to find one for about 6 bills or so if you are patient.
    I don't think the Ruger is a commander slide / officer frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I don't think the Ruger is a commander slide / officer frame.
    Nope. Full 5"+ barrel according to their website.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links