Looking for a lightweight revolver for CCW but low recoil

This is a discussion on Looking for a lightweight revolver for CCW but low recoil within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the somewhat near future, I want to buy a revolver for my wife to carry. I want a revolver because of its ease of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a lightweight revolver for CCW but low recoil

Looking for a lightweight revolver for CCW but low recoil

In the somewhat near future, I want to buy a revolver for my wife to carry. I want a revolver because of its ease of use and because they are usually really reliable. I own a Dick special and a S&W 642. Both kick too much for her. She shoots great with my Ruger MkII 22lr. This is obviously too big to carry and not enough power (I know shot placement is key but 22lr imo shouldn't be used as a EDC weapon).

It needs to be lightweight, low recoil, more stopping power than a 22lr, and ammo has to be equal to or less than the price of 38 special.

Any suggestions on make, model, and caliber?

Light weight and low recoil generally don't go together. I would look at a Ruger LCR in .357 or a Ruger SP-101 and just shoot .38's out of them. The 101 will recoil less but it's also about 6 ounces heavier then the lCR.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Have you considered a reduced recoil .38 ammo?
    Charter Arms makes revolvers in several calibers. .327 magnum, .32 H&R magnum. .22wmr

ruger LCR in .357 format 17 oz and handles recoil like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Light weight and low recoil generally don't go together. I would look at a Ruger LCR in .357 or a Ruger SP-101 and just shoot .38's out of them. The 101 will recoil less but it's also about 6 ounces heavier then the lCR.
    I was thinking about the Ruger Sp-101. I wonder how recoil is compared to a 4" GP100 shooting 38s (have one of those currently).

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Have you considered a reduced recoil .38 ammo?
    Charter Arms makes revolvers in several calibers. .327 magnum, .32 H&R magnum. .22wmr
    I am not sure if I would buy a Charter Arms. I read mixed reviews on them in general. Isn't wadcutters and cowboy loads reduced recoil ammo?
    I never shot a .327 mag. How is the recoil compared to a 38 special?
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    ruger LCR in .357 format 17 oz and handles recoil like a champ.
    Does the Ruger LCR in .357 have less recoil than the LCR in 38 special since it is maybe 6 ounces heavier?

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I was thinking about the Ruger Sp-101. I wonder how recoil is compared to a 4" GP100 shooting 38s (have one of those currently).

I am not sure if I would buy a Charter Arms. I read mixed reviews on them in general. Isn't wadcutters and cowboy loads reduced recoil ammo?
    I never shot a .327 mag. How is the recoil compared to a 38 special?

Does the Ruger LCR in .357 have less recoil than the LCR in 38 special since it is maybe 6 ounces heavier?
    The GP100 is quite a bit heavier then the SP101 so recoil is going to be quite a bit less.

Yes, the LCR in .357 will recoil less then the .38 version because of the weight difference.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Ex Member
    The 642 is 15 ounces. Before you get another weapon try a box of 146 gr wadcutters.If that is still to harsh you can go to the 20 ounce model 60, or even the 25 ounce 649.

joepa150: You might try the Ruger SP101 in the .327 magnum. It has a pretty good recoil. I added the Hogue grips and shoot .32 H&R magnums through it and they are easy compared to the 327 loads. I think the H&R's are probably even lighter recoil than the 38 + P ammo, but I'm not an expert-- just trying to remember what I've read on the subject. Plus you can also shoot 32 S&W shorts and 32 S&W longs: quite a variety and, as many others have attested to, the Ruger will outlast you! Good shooting!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    joepa150: You might try the Ruger SP101 in the .327 magnum. It has a pretty good recoil. I added the Hogue grips and shoot .32 H&R magnums through it and they are easy compared to the 327 loads. I think the H&R's are probably even lighter recoil than the 38 + P ammo, but I'm not an expert-- just trying to remember what I've read on the subject. Plus you can also shoot 32 S&W shorts and 32 S&W longs: quite a variety and, as many others have attested to, the Ruger will outlast you! Good shooting!
    Taurus Matte Stainless 327 Federal Mag w/2" Barrel/Concealed $290.00 SHIPS FREE

Taurus makes a hammerless snubbie in .327FEDMAG.

Ever since I realized they made this, I've thought about picking one up. On the fence about trying a taurus product though

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Taurus Matte Stainless 327 Federal Mag w/2" Barrel/Concealed $290.00 SHIPS FREE

Taurus makes a hammerless snubbie in .327FEDMAG.

Ever since I realized they made this, I've thought about picking one up. On the fence about trying a taurus product though
    I have been screwed a few times by Taurus auto's but have never owned a revolver. I have heard they are more reliable but at the end of the day the triggers are pretty horrible (I dry fired some at the local store) and when it comes to a defensive revolver that's going to be fired DA a decent trigger is first and foremost on my mind. You only have 5 rounds and a good trigger is important for putting them where they need to go to get the job done.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I have been screwed a few times by Taurus auto's but have never owned a revolver. I have heard they are more reliable but at the end of the day the triggers are pretty horrible (I dry fired some at the local store) and when it comes to a defensive revolver that's going to be fired DA a decent trigger is first and foremost on my mind. You only have 5 rounds and a good trigger is important for putting them where they need to go to get the job done.
    I like that this is a 6 shot "Jframe" basically... and to my knowledge S&W (or charter?) doesn't make a .327FEDMAG snubbie yet? And for the OP it will shoot .32, which would be lower recoil. (Like Philly Boy already pointed out.)

My other carry weapon is a P3at, not known for a "smooth trigger" either, but I'm not exactly concerned with trigger comfort in a SD situation, its not like we're talking plinkers.

My biggest holdback from Taurus is their CS reputation, if it doesn't prove reliable I heard they are have horrible turnaround for warrenty repairs.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post

My biggest holdback from Taurus is their CS reputation, if it doesn't prove reliable I heard they are have horrible turnaround for warrenty repairs.
    My PT709 took 6 weeks. My PT145 took 8 weeks for a new mag.

My PT709 took 6 weeks. My PT145 took 8 weeks for a new mag.
    Wow that is a long time. Springfield Armory repaired my 1911 and it took about days total including shipping booth ways (they paid for the shipping too).

Whatever brand you get, I would advise getting a .357 Magnum and then shooting .38s out of it for lower recoil. There are lots of lighter shooting .38s on the market. The SP101 will be heavier, but shoot very soft. The all steel S&W snubbies (i.e. the model 49) will be heavier than their Airweight counterparts, but lighter and amaller than the SP101 and handle .38s better than the airweights. Small, light, and low recoil is like the Holy Grail of CCWs...not easy to get them all in one package.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Ruger LCR in 357.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links