Porting of ruger sp101, .327 mag.

This is a discussion on Porting of ruger sp101, .327 mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I've decided to keep my 101, I'm considering having it ported by Gemini Customs or some other place of good repute and would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Porting of ruger sp101, .327 mag.

Now that I've decided to keep my 101, I'm considering having it ported by Gemini Customs or some other place of good repute and would like to hear from others who have had this done to their piece; especially those with SP101's and most especially if any have had their .327 ported. Any and all pros and cons would be very helpful in my considerations and I thank all responders in advance. I'd really like to know much the recoil is diminished with porting, etc... Thanks again!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Administrator
    I'd really like to know much the recoil is diminished with porting, etc...

There is some felt recoil reduction.

If I was going to have a handgun ported I would only go with Mag-Na-Port because of the directional way the hot combustion gasses are expelled.

Click Here For Mag-Na-Port

If this is your HD gun, be careful the porting will have a bigger flash in low light.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

The effectiveness of the porting is directly related to your ammo. I didn't think the .327 would need porting, but having said that, my S&W .44 Mag has been Magna Ported. It greatly reduces muzzle climb, and the recoil is straight back instead of up and back.

There is more blast, I can clear the lanes on either side of me (I only shoot 240 gr) and the walls tend to shake a bit. My only issue is that the little plastic insert in my front sight melted a little bit and I can't clean the discoloration from around the ports to my satisfaction. YMMV

Shoot it in low light and you will definitely see an interesting flash, but hopefully you are so focused on the front sight, you only see it in your peripheral vision.

Good luck and stay safe.
    Courage is endurance for one moment moreÖ

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Shoot it from a retention position (gun held at your hip) and it will not be pleasant at all.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

GM
    IMO porting a self-defense firearm is not a good idea at all .
    First Sgt likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

THANKS for the responses. Looks like the minuses have it! Would still like to hear from someone who has ported a .327 Ruger- or whatever!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    I think the felt recoil reduction of a Hogue monogrip is a better answer to the .327's recoil.
    wmhawth likes this.

Porting will increase the muzzle flash, vent the blast to the sides and increase the noise level. None of these are good for a carry gun.

VIP Member
    Having ported a .40, I instantly regretted it. I was really new at this stuff when I did that, and I did what the manufacturer's service rep. suggested because I complained of muzzle tilt.

Duh, I should have just sold the gun.

The funny thing, my dealer tells me if I want to trade it out the porting will increase its value. Selling point for the naive, I suppose.

sass20485: What if the ports are on the top of the barrel and the flash goes up instead of side
    ways? Will this make any difference as to performance? According to some videos, the recoil is drastically reduced. Any comments?

I had my GP100 ported by Gemini Customs. This is a CCW for me and, despite the nay-saysers...it works great! The .357 mag loses about 100 fps which is nothing since I use hot loads. Also...my muzzle flip has decreased by 70%. I use Corbon DPX low flash powder and this 3 inch barrel .357 magnum rocks! It is loud. So what?

I can fire five rounds in five seconds and keep the target hits within five inches of POA...a test for a defensive weapon by a far smarter guy than me.

Oh...all those people who talk about debris and particles flying up...boulder-dash. They have no idea what they are talking about. The plume does go straight up...instead of straight out in front of you. So what? Technically, it only sounds louder because the blast becomes omni-directional instead of projection down range. The decibel range does not increase...just a perceived louder sound.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't have experience but I have purchased a ported/extended barrel for my K9. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet so I can't say how much recoil it'll be.

I have a hunch it's not the best idea to permanently alter a carry gun this way because there's no going back. In my case I can sell the ported barrel and recover nearly all of my cost so I get to try it with less risk.

On the other hand I think the negatives are over emphasized with a lot of people who haven't necessarily owned or shot a ported gun repeating te mantra.

Mind you I have no personal experience yet but I think muzzle flip will blow a second shot and that could be important in a defensive situation but let's face it. In most cases it'll be a point and shoot at very close range without using the sights so I don't think the flash is a problem.

People love to say "shoot it from retention" and you won't like it stuff. Probably won't but in that situation I somehow think that's not your worst problem. With the kahr ported barrel the gases are not directed straight up but rather out in front at an angle. If you're close enough to that to get a direct burn you're so dangerously close to the muzzle that you're in it real deep and perhaps, shouldn't have pulled the trigger at all.

When I get my ported barrel I want to design an experiement to have something hold toilet paper stretched out and then test shooting underneath to see where it really starts to get you.

Anyway, I think an SP101 that's been worked on by Gemini with a bead blast finish is about one of the best looking guns around. I'd also highly recommend the XS big dot front sight (standard size).

If I was in your shoe's I'd leave it un-ported and send it to Gemini for the rest. I'm fortunate that I can play and then swap out the barrels.

Gideon

Changed my mind

Gideon: Guess what? I just sent in my SP101 to Gemini yesterday to get the SS pkg. MINUS the porting. Marc suggested this since I've been up in the air re. the porting part, but I still might have it done in the future. I can't wait to get it back: his web-site has some great looking guns that he's worked on. Appreciate your remarks. P.S. Decided to go ahead with the porting after reading your post!
    Last edited by Philly Boy; May 6th, 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Changed mind re. porting

dawgfvr: Great looking job. My SP101 should be at Gemini Customs right now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links