Browning high power

This is a discussion on Browning high power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of buying a Browning high power 9mm what do you think of them, and the hungarian clone?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Browning high power

Browning high power

I am thinking of buying a Browning high power 9mm what do you think of them, and the hungarian clone?

2. Remove Ads

GM
    The BHP is an awesome pistol!!! IMO, along with the 1911, the BHP is one of the best firearms ever manufactured. I should not get a clone; I do not see any reason why I should want to do it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    If you going to go for a Hi Power, go for the original. If your willing to go for something other than a BHP, I'd highly recommend the CZ75.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Gallery of Guns is running the 75th anniversary black High Power with fixed sights and plastic grips for $754.00 out the door, to my lowest cost dealer within 25 miles. If I were in the market I'd be all over that. Grips can always be replaced. On sale through the end of May.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Cool

If your going to get a Hi-Power get a Browning. JMHO I was without one for several years until I found a 1964 T-Series . I have never had a pistol fit my hand as well as the P-35.

photo.jpg

Henie Lo Pro sights
    C&S Extended safety
    Hogue Coco Bolo grips
    Kerby likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I highly recommend it. I have had mine for 18 years with no...not one...problem. It has been completely reliable out of the box with a wide range of ammo. If you get the Mark III, you will not have any of the reported problems with feeding JHPs or 147 gr bullets of earlier models. With today's choices and quality ammo, the 9mm is a very effective SD round. It is very accurate, probably more accurate than most people are capable of shooting. Even though it is 7.75" long, the slide is very slim and is very comfortable when worn in and IWB holster. There is a reason it was the most popular military and police handgun in the world.

Stick with the original.
    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."

I'm fortunate enough to own one of the rare alloy-framed HiPowers:

This is an ex-Austrian police gun. Browning made a small number of these, which is a shame - the alloy frame is such an improvement over the steel HiPowers that I believe they could have sold as many as they produced. The pistol weighs about the same as a Glock 23!

You might have noticed the unusual slide release. The gun is equipped with the Safe Fast Shooting (SFS) System for hammer-down carry on a loaded chamber. Activating the safety lever cocks the hammer and allows the gun to fire. I really like it, and the stock trigger is terrific, even with the magazine disconnect still installed. I'll agree with the comments about the superior ergonomics the HiPower offers - it points naturally and the grip feels better than any other pistol I've tried, including the 1911.

If you get a chance, buy one! You won't regret it.
    Kerby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPastor View Post
    I am thinking of buying a Browning high power 9mm what do you think of them, and the hungarian clone?
    I can't speak about the clone, but I had a BHP 9mm over 20 years ago, it was/is a great weapon however it may be too large for EDC.

I want one.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

One of the greatest pistols ever, do not go with a clone; however the FN is the same FN HP or BHP made in the same factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    If your going to get a Hi-Power get a Browning. JMHO I was without one for several years until I found a 1964 T-Series . I have never had a pistol fit my hand as well as the P-35.

photo.jpg

Henie Lo Pro sights
    C&S Extended safety
    Hogue Coco Bolo grips
    Everytime I see your avatar I envoy you....
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I have two Hi-Power pistols. I bought a Charles Daly version of the Hi-Power because of the price as a way to try the Hi-Power without the $700 or $800 dollar price. It was the best 9mm pistol I have shot. However I have had minor problems with the sights. Later I bought a Browning MK III Hi-Power. This pistol has been completely trouble free. It may be in my mind, but the Browning balance and weight in my hand feels better. So my short answer is buy the Browning MK III. This is one pistol you will never sell or have regret that you bought.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I bought a used FEG Hi-Power for my Dad awhile ago. It had been sitting in the glass case at Knob creek for awhile and I was buying a 1911 and he had been looking at it previously. Cost me $250 and I have to say its well worth it. It shoots straight and hasn't had a problem feeding anything. He's very happy with it and I wish I had bought it for myself. I would say though if you can afford a new browning get it, but I would still recommend the FEG HI- Powers if you needed to save a little bit of money.

VIP Member
    The BHP was John Moses Browning's best design... Get one you'll love it...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've got a FN Herstal; It's my second-favorite 9mm.

Before I got a FEG clone, though, I'd look for an Argy FM.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links