Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one? - Page 2

Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one?

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ladder13 Some say buy the Ruger because it's built like a tank. I say the Smith is Bo Derek with sleek lines, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
    Some say buy the Ruger because it's built like a tank. I say the Smith is Bo Derek with sleek lines, and the Ruger is Rosie O'donnel, built like a tank.
    This must be the only time you will ever encounter the names "Bo Derek" and "Rosie O'donnel" in the same sentance. I'm now going to have to poke out my mind's eye.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Now, seriously, either one will be GREAT. You'll know which one is for you when you hold them in your hand and look down the sights.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I had the same dilemma over 20 years ago, own the Smith. See you have a Smith in your avatar, why did you buy it over a competitive Ruger?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

The Ruger is a much stronger revolver.I would choose it over the S&W.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I would chose the Ruger because I have a couple Smith's and like them. I held a 3" GP 100 today and it felt great with the Hogue grips and no locks on the Rugers.
    SCGunLover1

NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Ruger. Not that I have anything against a Smith&W., but I woke up the other day and realized that after all this time thinking I was a Glock man, it seems a small collection of Rugers have snuck up me.

Both are guns worth having. My policy is; When in doubt buy 'em both. I love them both but having done a fair amount of shooting with both guns the 686+ gets the nod for trigger, fit and feel. Someone upthread stated that the GP100 is a much stronger gun. I don't know how he knows that but I tend to doubt it.
    Attached Images

I had and sold a 4" gp100, something I really regret. But recently at the gunshop, got to do a side-by-side comparison of a 686 and a gp 100, both 4 inch. Smith has the trigger, for sure. But for my small hands, the slightly trimmer grips on the smith felt much better.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    the ruger and rosie have alot in common, both built like tanks, both not very visually appealing in my mind. Im a smith guy, however like rosie o donnell the ruger will eat anything you feed it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I couldn't decide either so I bought both. I still want a 6" 686.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    come on Ruger has to lose points for haning a 50 word warning across the barrel!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Me personally I would pick the Ruger hands down.

The way I look at it, S&W is like a Cadillac, Ruger is like a built 4x4. Both have there place but I prefer a lifted jeep that can take abuse opposed to a luxury car with leather seats.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Me personally I would pick the Ruger hands down.

The way I look at it, S&W is like a Cadillac, Ruger is like a built 4x4. Both have there place but I prefer a lifted jeep that can take abuse opposed to a luxury car with leather seats.
    I have an escalade and it has both. lol
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Someone upthread stated that the GP100 is a much stronger gun. I don't know how he knows that but I tend to doubt it.
    The "strength" of Ruger revolvers is one of those Internet axioms that is repeated so often that it becomes a standard comment on gun blogs. I always figured that it resulted from the heavy, somewhat clunky appearance of Rugers compared to S&W revolvers - it looks like the Rugers have more steel in them, and thicker components. But whether that makes Rugers "stronger" than Smiths would probably have to be determined by some destructive testing of both brands of guns, using heavy ammo loads. What I do know is that I have never broken a S&W revolver, and I own 12 of them. I think that S&W revolvers are strong enough for any practical use I can think of.
    bmcgilvray and glockman10mm like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links