Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one? - Page 4

Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one?

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dragman YEP coke and pepsi S&W is coke and ruger is pepsi. Did you know the #1 rated soft drink in the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    YEP coke and pepsi S&W is coke and ruger is pepsi. Did you know the #1 rated soft drink in the USA is Coke, the #2 is Diet coke, and in 3rd is pepsi. haha just saying.
    Mountain Dew is the #1 rated soft drink in the USA 12 years straight.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Mountain Dew is the #1 rated soft drink in the USA 12 years straight.
    it's off topic and I could be wrong but this is the artical
    Diet Coke and Coke Now Top Pepsi - Coke now makes top 2 sodas in US
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

It's funny. I wanted a GP100 for years. I went into my LGS a couple months ago to buy a GP100 4" that I had asked about on the phone. It was $465 used in excellent condition. When I got there, right next to it was a S&W 686 4" for $495. For the $30 difference it was a no brainer. I still plan to get a GP100 in the future as I want both. As far as I'm concerned, it basically comes down to how much do you want to spend when you compare the two. They are both excellent guns.

6863.jpg 6861.jpg 6862.jpg
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    It's funny. I wanted a GP100 for years. I went into my LGS a couple months ago to buy a GP100 4" that I had asked about on the phone. It was $465 used in excellent condition. When I got there, right next to it was a S&W 686 4" for $495. For the $30 difference it was a no brainer. I still plan to get a GP100 in the future as I want both. As far as I'm concerned, it basically comes down to how much do you want to spend when you compare the two. They are both excellent guns.

6863.jpg 6861.jpg 6862.jpg
    I agree it was a no brainer. I just returned from the range this AM where I fired both my 686 and my GP100 with this very discussion thread in mind. I reaffirmed what I already knew. The 686 is way out ahead of the GP100. It's in the trigger and in the feel and pointability of the 686 which for me results in more accuracy. For those who insist the Ruger is more durable I still doubt it but both guns are durable enough for me.
    brylow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I agree it was a no brainer. I just returned from the range this AM where I fired both my 686 and my GP100 with this very discussion thread in mind. I reaffirmed what I already knew. The 686 is way out ahead of the GP100. It's in the trigger and in the feel and pointability of the 686 which for me results in more accuracy. For those who insist the Ruger is more durable I still doubt it but both guns are durable enough for me.
    Thank for your comparison of both, the 686 is a fine looking pistol, I had a chance to hold a 627 at the LGS, the 8 shot pro center model, Wow what a trigger, it is on my list of the next gun to have.

VIP Member
    Anyone who has seen me post on DC will know my choice. S&W baby!

This is a fairly simple answer, all you have to do is pick up and shoot each gun. As far as the Ruger being a tank, well my S&W is damn tough and will be around long after me. How much tougher do you need to be? Now that we got the Ruger's one selling point out of the way, lets move on to the trigger, accuracy, fit and finish.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Thank for your comparison of both, the 686 is a fine looking pistol, I had a chance to hold a 627 at the LGS, the 8 shot pro center model, Wow what a trigger, it is on my list of the next gun to have.
    Now you are talking in a different league from these guns. Frankly a different universe from the Ruger. My performance center S&W is truly amazing.

The trigger, the finish, the way it shoots... Hmmm, sounds like a 686. I always kinda laugh at the "Built like a Tank" I doubt if you will load 357's to the highest pressure you can, they aren't that fun to shoot, I guess the Ruger (which I do think is a fine gun) is better suited if you use the "dip to fill" method when reloading! I think the both of them have their place, I'd like to vote (since it's your money we're spending here, GET BOTH.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Now you are talking in a different league from these guns. Frankly a different universe from the Ruger. My performance center S&W is truly amazing.

Wow that is a beautiful gun, I would like to know the difference between your gun and a 627 do you know?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Wow that is a beautiful gun, I would like to know the difference between your gun and a 627 do you know?
    They are similar in many ways. Both are 8-shots, have a gold bead front sight, chambered in .357, and chamfered for moon clips. They both have trigger jobs from S&W also. Where much of the difference comes in is that the TRR8 has rails that can be added to the top and bottom, and the TRR8 is Scandium which makes it pretty light for the size. Both are fantastic, but have great qualities depending on what you want. I would love to have both!

From everything Ive heard you cant go wrong either way. I want a GP-100 as that is in my price range now and when Im slightly more affluent I will buy the 686.

BigJon

Using factory loads, I much prefer the S&W. Bet6ter trigger, etc. etc.

Using heavy reloads - the Ruger. REASON - The bolt notch in the S&W is over the thinest part of the chamber. The Ruger [as I seem to remember] has the bolt notch offset for more strenght [and yes I HAVE seen the s&w "blow out" at the bolt notch - several times].

What do I own? S&W 686 in 2 1/2, 4, and 6. I shoot factory or factory equiv, reloads.

My .o2

Doc

I debated and debated .... between the two ... GP100 vs 686. I tended to like the 686's.

Then a guy had a GP100 for sale, and that was that ..... I loved the one he had, and still do . Besides the quality, etc. ... another reason I went with the GP100, is look at the way they break down in comparison for cleaning or maintenance, etc. The GP100 requires no tools, and is much easier and simpler. They thought out the design well. Even the sights are easy to change out if you want to.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Both are top notch guns as far as I'm concerned. I think most people go with what they know so to speak. I have 3 Ruger revolvers and never owned a S&W (revolver) so naturally I would tend to go with the Ruger GP-100.

But I would likely give the Smith a good look only because of the reputation Smith has with their wheel guns. The only S&W I ever owned was a 9mm model 459 and I never really warmed up to it.

By the same token, I've never owned a Ruger semi-auto pistol either.

What does all this mean? Not a heck of a lot. Just rambling here. But I do like Ruger revolvers and say what you want about their triggers... It's never really affected the accuracy on any of the three I own. Rapid fire, slow fire, one handed, off handed or two hands, I shoot them pretty well because I've worked with them.

I am looking hard at those TRR8's. Seen a couple YouTube reviews and am really liking what I see. Nutnfancy has run one pretty hard in some run-n-gun videos and I'm impressed.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Well to tell you the truth I have shot loose a S&W 686 and a S&W 586 so bad that they would spit lead out the cylinder.I have never done this with any of my GP100's. Don't get me wrong as I love S&W's but I don't think they are as tough as the GP100.
    Im not a fan of the half lug, but that is a sweet looking gun! That hammer job is spectacular!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links