Do you know "stuff" about S & W production runs > meaning

This is a discussion on Do you know "stuff" about S & W production runs > meaning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For example i saw what i'd call a special issue of a Model 642 revolver,of course, on what is probably the most popular web gunshop. ...

For example i saw what i'd call a special issue of a Model 642 revolver,of course, on what is probably the most popular web gunshop.
    I couldn't tell you if it was ever on S&W's site but it ain't there now and it is out of stock, plus not available on the "radar" wish-list from this popular website; hence not available and most likely gone for quite some time if not forever.

That being said since i'm fairly close, i hope, to buying something i can carry and shoot, i somewhat like S&W's 2.5" barrel model 638 AND i say somewhat cuz i'd like the 438 better but S&W forgot to manufacture 'em

If i settle on this 638 then they will start mfg'n model 438, right!
    What patterns/habits/etc have you noticed about S&W's production quirks? IF you catch me drift

S&W's production runs and marketing are no different than, say, an auto manufacturer offering an "Indy 500 Pace Car" edition. Over the past few years, with input from guys like Clint Smith and American Handgunner editor Roy Huntington, S&W came out with some limited runs of classic revolvers. Notable examples are the .44 Special and .45 ACP "Thunder Ranch" models, the Model 40 Centennial snub with the grip safety, and currently some carbon steel Model 29s. To the best of my knowledge, S&W sold every single one of these they made - which says that they read the market correctly. Contrast that with the former S&W management that eliminated all (or nearly all) blued-steel revolvers from the lineup several years ago.

I'm not sure if I catch the nudge-nudge wink-wink drift... but I'd say S&W is pretty market-savvy these days. Are you suggesting something other than staying on top of the market is at work here? They maintain consumer interest and keep demand high by limiting production of certain models. It hurts some of us in the pocketbook, but it also keeps a lot of us eagerly awaiting their next offerings.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thnx for the on target post
    Makes me wonder IF S&W ever gives notice like promoting/advertising on these special edition types prior to becoimg available?

Links