SR9C vs LC9

This is a discussion on SR9C vs LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide on a first carry weapon. I've been waffling between the Ruger SR9C and the Ruger LC9 as my first EDC. Yesterday, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SR9C vs LC9

SR9C vs LC9

I'm trying to decide on a first carry weapon. I've been waffling between the Ruger SR9C and the Ruger LC9 as my first EDC. Yesterday, I visited my local gun shop and he has a SR9C (all black) and will hold for a few days. Today, I visited a gun shop about 60 miles away and he has both. The SR9C is two tone.

There is not sufficient price difference to influence my decision. So, what other factors do I need to consider?

The LC9 appears easier to conceal and carry especially with summer and lighter cloths. As a first carry a pocket holster in shorts seems a good way to begin. I realize the LC9 is not meant to be something one uses to shoot on a regular basis so is that sufficient reason to go with the SR9C?

The SR9C is larger and heaver so for a first carry other than a really good holster what issues will I encounter? The SR9C comes with two magazines and could be shot on a regular basis. Therefore, does that negate my first concern?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

2. Remove Ads

I have both of them. The LC9 IS great for pocket carry. The SR9c is more of an iwb gun or owb. Both have performed well for me. The SR9c has zero malfunctions and the LC9 has only had one. The LC9 is more of a challenge to shoot, but not too hard once you become familiar with the long trigger. I highly recommend both , and I would say your choice should really boil down to how you plan to carry, in the pocket or iwb.

Good luck and report back.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Thank you for your reply, rammerjammer. My sense is for summer pocket carry then IWB in late fall and winter. Perhaps, I should go with the LC9 now and pick up the SR9C in the fall Hardest part will be convincing my wife I need both
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have the SR9c and it is my everyday carry. I am familiar with the LC9 but do not own one. FOR ME (hand size) it was just a little large for pocket carry. If you plan on a lot of range shooting the 9c would be more comfortable. However there is no reason why you can not run as many rounds through the one as the other. They will both handle it.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I was intrigued by the LC9 until I did some research. I don't like the manual safety, or the magazine disconnect. As a result I bought the gun that the LC9 is a copy of, the Kel Tec PF9. It is a DAO only gun and is thinner without the manual safety. I did have an issue that Kel Tec handled with exceptional speed.(1 week) I like Rugers (I have three) but for this instance the Kel Tec won and it was about $100 cheaper. Good luck with your search and be happy with what you purchase.

I own both and the LCP too.
    The LCP is a pocket carry gun! The LC9 could be..... If you have BIG pockets. It works great IWB.
    The SR9c is NOT a pocket carry and is a great and accurate shooting gun.
    I would prefer to have the 9c with me all the time but as the OP noted clothing dictates what he/we can carry
    The LC9 is a compromise between the other two.

I say get all 3!

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Thanks for the post and the photos, Lateck! I'm still weighing the pro's and con's between the two. I've considered purchasing the LC9 now so that I can carry during the summer then get the SR9C in the Fall. Seems like a win win situation!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    You have been given great feed back above, and there is not much I can add to what was already said. But, being the windbag that I am, I will say that is sounds like you've already made up your mind about the LC9, and I think you will be happy with it.

You did not say whether or not you have other handguns that are non-carry, or what your experience is with handguns purse, so I will say that the LC9, for me, is one of the most fun to shoot, but, it may be challenging for a novice. I also have an SR9c and LCP. The SR9c gives you the advantage of 17 shots, with the extended mag provided, and it is one of the most accurate guns I own. IWB the SR9c carries a little better than my Glock 26, which is very comfortable.

If your wife needs to be convinced that you need both, this may help:

You need Both!!!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    You have been given great feed back above,

Yes, I have! The members on this site are fantastic.

and there is not much I can add to what was already said. But, being the windbag that I am, I will say that is sounds like you've already made up your mind about the LC9,

I'm still on the fence but thinking that I will purchase the LC9 now, for summer carry, then get the SR9C in the fall.
    and I think you will be happy with it.

You did not say whether or not you have other handguns that are non-carry,
    I have a Judge 3 inch for home protection and a Sig Mosquito 22 that I am using to learn how to shoot without breaking the bank.

or what your experience is with handguns purse, so I will say that the LC9, for me, is one of the most fun to shoot, but, it may be challenging for a I a novice.

I am a novice so the learning curve will be steep, I imagine!
    I also have an SR9c and LCP. The SR9c gives you the advantage of 17 shots, with the extended mag provided, and it is one of the most accurate guns I own. IWB the SR9c carries a little better than my Glock 26, which is very comfortable.

If your wife needs to be convinced that you need both, this may help:

You need Both!!!
    Thanks, I need all the help I can get!

I like what Thunder Ranch's Clint Smith says about concealed carry. Whichever you choose learn how to fight with it and know its limitations.

You can't go wrong with either. I personally would get the LC9 because I feel it is the perfect balance in size to carry everyday. I has a manual safety but you do not have to engage it if you don't feel comfortable doing so. My first carry gun was a Glock 19 which is considered a light weight compact gun. With the right holster and a decent gun belt, you shouldn't have a problem carry a gun such as the Glock 19 or the SRC9 which is a bit smaller.

The Glock 19 carried comfortably but there were times when I just didn't feel like carrying it. I eventually bought a Jframe Smith and Wesson. I LOVE the size and weight of it. It goes with me everywhere. Now the Glocks and the 1911s typically sit in the safe and the snubbie goes where I go.

So if you can rent them or try them both, I would go with the one that feels better. If you can't try them or they both feel great, I would go with the smaller one. You will thank me if you go this route.

depends on u, i started with a g26, roughly the same size as the SR9C but then i wanted something light weight so i got the LCR (about half the weight of the g26 and half the fire power)

well as we all know, as the summer time rolls around, people's guns get smaller, well i decided to go back to the g26 for more fire power because the summer, alot of crimes happen, so im the oposite when it comes to carry, summer bigger guns, winter smaller guns = good for me.

so if u ask me, i'd say both =]

Thanks folks for your thoughts. Still waffling between the two

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others here have said, the SR9c really isn't a pocket-gun.

I got my SR9c specifically as a backup to my true-EDC XDm9 3.8 Compact and my main HD and "class/range" gun, a full-sized XDm9, should either of those ever need to be down for an extended period of time. As a "Compact" with the ability to take the full-sized magazines of its larger cousin, the SR9c fit that role perfectly.

But like the XDm9 3.8 Compact, it's definitely not pocket-friendy...unless you've got some really big pockets, and have a belt/suspenders that will help carry the weight. :)

And that's really the reason why I bought a Kahr PM9, and am now thinking about going even smaller, dropping down to the .380-Auto cartridge. With the PM9, I also cross-shopped the Ruger LC9 - ending up with the PM9 due to more personal-preference type reasons.

Oh, and you'll want a good pocket-holster for your pocket carry, too. That not only keeps you (and others) safe, but also greatly aids draw and presentation. And remember, just because something is small enough and light enough to be carried in a pocket doesn't mean that it has to be that way: a smaller pistol carried in the "traditional" IWB/OWB manner all but completely disappears, and may be easier to draw, especially with the off hand.

Yep, you do have a tough decision. Of course, get both....right? As previous posters have mentioned, it all depends on your need and particular situations.

I own a SR9c and a LCP. I also own a Taurus 709 slim. My 9c is the stainless model and it is a great pistol. I have put over 1500 rounds downrange with it, and NO hiccups. I would recommend that pistol to anyone. The LCP is what it is.... a BUG. I have about 300 rounds downrange. It was a little finicky about type of ammo initially, but seems to have finally broken in. The long trigger, which I understand is similar to the LC9, does take some getting used to. Through practice, and another forum members' advice, I have become accustomed to using the finger pad on my index finger for best results with the long trigger. The LC9 is a relatively new pistol, released in February 2011. I have read in other forums about folks having issues with their new LC9s. Issues that seem all too common with newly released models of pistols these days. For that reason, I would hold off picking up an LC9 until all of the issues are ironed out. Additionally, my 709, which is similar in size to the LC9, has turned out to be a real reliable pistol. Initially, it had some severe FTE issues (not uncommon with new pistol models). I sent it back for warranty work. It came back from Taurus with a new ejector. (Incidentally, I had great service from Taurus.) Since that time, I have put 300 rounds through the 709 without any problems. It is now a great CCW.

As a consequence, I would recommend waiting awhile before getting a LC9, let the "new model" issues get resolved. If I already didn't have the 709, I would consider getting a LC9 in the fall. Get a SR9c now, and wait until later to get a LC9.

boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links