Disappointed and Confused

This is a discussion on Disappointed and Confused within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I've said previously, I recently bought a new Colt Defender. I took it to the range and fired about 75 rounds with an instructor ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Disappointed and Confused

Disappointed and Confused

As I've said previously, I recently bought a new Colt Defender. I took it to the range and fired about 75 rounds with an instructor present. I am left handed, so I wanted an ambi safety installed. The local gun range guy couldn't touch it for 10 weeks! So, I went to the GS I bought it from and they recommended a local guy who is supposedly nationally recognized for his work on Colts. I took my gun in, he seems to know what he's about so, I left it for him to work on. He recommended in addition to the safety, a reliability service, polishing the feed ramp etc. I picked the gun up, and was cycling the slide, and noticed that it would not go back into battery every time. I was told, it's new the spring is tight, the slide is tight, give it a few rounds. He also told me that to ensure that it would go back into battery, to hold the gun muzzle pointed up. Every time I did that it worked, point it down, nope!

So tonite, I finally get to the range, I brought the wife, so I could show off uh I mean teach her. Much to my chagrin and embarrassment, I could not get more than one or 2 shots at a time before the gun would not go back into battery. The slide would stop about a 1/4 inch from closed, I was using both factory magazines, as well as several Wilson magazines that I have used before in my 5" 1911. I also tried 3 different kinds of ammo. The JHP rounds fed the best, I got 3 rounds off before it failed. All were 230 grain FMJ and JHP rounds. Also, the safety feels... gritty? It has 2 clicks when engaging or disengaging the safety. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tom

2. Remove Ads

Point the muzzle up for it to work? Toro Feces...take it back to the 'smith' and get him to make it right.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That doesn't sound right. Sounds like you might have some headaches ahead of you as you try to convince the guy that something is wrong. Good luck.

Administrator
    See if you can get him to fix it. I'm really hoping you misunderstood about the pointing in up, down or whatever hoeky pokey business he said. If no luck, consider posting his name. I'm sure somebody here will know if he's any good or not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Pointing the gun up to make it go into battery is about the oddest thing I've ever heard. This guy took a functioning pistol and turned it into a paperweight! I'd be on the phone to him or in his shop ASAP... if he's a reliable guy, he'll make it right.

In the Phx area we're blessed with some fine pistol smiths. If your guy can't or won't make it right, PM me and I'll give you names of two guys who can (one on the east side, one on the west side).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Point the muzzle up for it to work? Toro Feces...take it back to the 'smith' and get him to make it right.OMOYMV
    Agreed a 1911 should feed and function no matter which position it is in. I would take it back and ask to have it made right.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks, guys! I'll be at his door first thing in the morning!
    Smitty, will do!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Seems to me that this gunsmith is incompetent, if that is what he meant to say to you. You may well have to take the gun elsewhere to get it working right.

Good gunsmiths generally stay busy. Those who are not working on anything when you contact them may be suspect. Just because someone says that they are a gunsmith does not mean that they really have a going business.

Some well known 1911 gunsmiths in the Phoenix area include Don Williams at Actionworks:

Home

Nelson Ford at the gunsmith:

The Gunsmith, Inc.

Ed Cameron at 1-623-780-2708

Robar Guns is in Phoenix too:

Robar's Home Page

However, I sent my 1911 to Robar the end of January, and I'm finally supposed to get it back this Thursday. Don Williams is popular, and may have a backlog of a month or two as well.

The gunsmith in question is on your list... More to follow in the morning after I speak with him.
    Good night all!

GM
    So sad when things like that happen. I hope you can make him realize that it was his fault. I agree with SIXTO, if he refuses to make it right I should consider posting his name, but first give him a chance to fix it; everybody can make mistakes.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    keep us posted hopefully the GS makes it right.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Point the gun up and down to make it work? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard come from a gunsmith, and I've heard a lot. He's covering for a screw up he knows he made. A 1911 in working order should cycle rightside up, upside down, underwater, in zero gravity, and even in England. Go to a real 'smith, and have whatever's messed up fixed, then present your receipt to the original "gunsmith" and demand a refund.

My father has a Colt Officer's model. He had trouble with jamming, and a 'smith quoted him a price of about $200, to replace the recoil spring, polish the feed ramp, and a bunch of other work. I changed the magazine springs, and the problem was solved for $20.

Stop accepting excuses regarding your weapons, and buy weapons that don't require gunsmithing.
    Lewis128 and jp3276 like this.

Administrator
    That is a bucket full of total Blue Chute. Are you sure that he didn't say that he was going to give you an unreliability job?

Tell him to undo everything that he did including the ambi safety because he obviously didn't install and/or fit that correctly either.
    And (if anything) a stronger recoil spring should cause the slide to go into battery easier if everything else is correct.

Did he install a longer barrel link?
    He obviously also over-tightened your slide.

Tell him to make it right or sue him in small claims court.

Administrator
    He originally just wanted to have an ambidextrious safety installed because he is left-handed.
    A properly installed aftermarket ambi thumb-safety would not have resulted in ANY other function related issues. Just FYI.
    His reliable firearm did not need to be gun-smithed until now...that a half-assed gunsmith went ahead and smithed it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Stop accepting excuses regarding your weapons, and buy weapons that don't require gunsmithing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links