FNH 5.7.....anyone have experience?

This is a discussion on FNH 5.7.....anyone have experience? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Funny, I can't seem to find a post on the FNH Five-SeveN, and I'm intrigued by the pistol and cartridge. OK, one of their ads ...

Thread: FNH 5.7.....anyone have experience?

FNH 5.7.....anyone have experience?

Funny, I can't seem to find a post on the FNH Five-SeveN, and I'm intrigued by the pistol and cartridge. OK, one of their ads got to me...high capacity, low recoil, effective cartridge...perfect for the wife.

Seems pricey, though, and was wondering wha this group's opinion is?

2. Remove Ads

Large grip, large weapon. - not easy for most women to operate or carry.
    Light recoil...absolutely - good accuracy too.
    High capacity, but not a significantly more than similarly sized handguns.
    Not an optimal defensive cartridge. In commercially available loads, it's not the hot armor piercing round you may have read about. Not much more than a very hot 22 magnum. Better of with conventional pistols.

I Will preface my post by stating that I do own a Fiveseven

It is a blast to shoot. It is a full sized service pistol. It is extremely lightweight. Has a large capacity. Shoots very flat, with very little recoil.

What it is not is a hot .22 mag. To compare it to one is disingenuous at best. While it is true that the factory loads are a little anemic, custom ammo from the likes of elite ammunition turn the Fiveseven into a real head turner.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I just plugged "5.7" into the search box and got..... nothing. ??????

I also have the pistol and concur; "It is a blast to shoot."

The operation of the gun is very easy. Young or old people will find the gun user friendly.

Ammo is plentiful and easy to find. Even at the height of the shotage, 5.7 was still easy to find.

The round has some balistic and penetration characteristics that make it very suitable as a home defence weapon.

It is a very high quality, well made firearm. I bought mine used and at a substancially lower price than MSRP. At the price I paid, I consider it a good deal, at full price... maybe not.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I watched 2 folks with them at the last MAG 40 in Sierra Vista, they performed well, have virtually no recoil.

All of this no recoil talk has me thinking that simple physics would have a tiny bullet impacting with little power. According to my reloading book 5.7 and 22 mag are about identical. As a matter of fact i think keltek is coming out with a 20 +1 capacity 22 mag to compete with the 5.7. Maybe there's a reason you haven't heard much about it.

Thanks for the feedback, doesn't appear to be a popular weapon and I think it comes down to ballistics. My wife can handle a .38, so I'm probably better off looking at a high capacity 9 mm to upgrade her from S&W 442. 5 rounds ain't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    I Will preface my post by stating that I do own a Fiveseven

It is a blast to shoot. It is a full sized service pistol. It is extremely lightweight. Has a large capacity. Shoots very flat, with very little recoil.

What it is not is a hot .22 mag. To compare it to one is disingenuous at best. While it is true that the factory loads are a little anemic, custom ammo from the likes of elite ammunition turn the Fiveseven into a real head turner.
    I have no desire for a 5.7x28 handgun, but I plan to buy a PS90! Granted they are overpriced in my
    opinion, but sooner or later I will get a deal and buy one.

Stock ammo doesn't thrill me other than using for practice, but I will second that Elite Ammunition has
    some rocking stuff...but your gonna pay.

Also, while many knock the 5.7x28 stock ammo (even myself in above), the Ft Hood guy killed a lot people with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    All of this no recoil talk has me thinking that simple physics would have a tiny bullet impacting with little power. According to my reloading book 5.7 and 22 mag are about identical. As a matter of fact i think keltek is coming out with a 20 +1 capacity 22 mag to compete with the 5.7. Maybe there's a reason you haven't heard much about it.

I have the Keltec PMR30. It is similar to the 5.7 but is not like the 5.7. From my understanding and I am no expert so someone please correct me if I am wrong, the .22WMR has a velocity of approx. 1200+ft/sec out of the Keltec PMR30. The 5.7x28mm round comes out of the FN 5.7 depending on the round used 1700-2200+ft/sec. So there is a very big difference in my opinion. I hope this helps. Again I am no expert nor do I play one on TV. God Bless

As I stated before the comparison tor a 5.7 to a 22mag is apples to oranges. Almost all the performance numbers that put the two on equal grounds are the 5.7 from a pistol, but the 22mag from a rifle.

The 5.7 is a relatively light round 30-50gr IIRC. It makes up for it with ridiculous speed for a handgun, and the use of fragmenting full metal jacket rounds.

As noted the stuff from elite ammo can get 12" of penetration in gel with cavitation, but relatively small permanent cavities. You then can pick your horse in the hydrostatic shock race.

I also own a ps-90 and it's even more fun than the Fiveseven. I actually intend to SBR it and check out the performance.

Videos on the 5.7 and the newest offering from elite ammo can be seen here about 2/3 of the way down the page.

FiveseveNForum.com • View topic - T-6 5.7 AMMO

Links