1911 Virgin (i'm not a chick)

This is a discussion on 1911 Virgin (i'm not a chick) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to buy my 1st 1911 I'm 5'10" 160lbs and would like to cc if possible. I really like the Para PDA in 45, a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1911 Virgin (i'm not a chick)

Looking to buy my 1st 1911

I'm 5'10" 160lbs and would like to cc if possible.

I really like the Para PDA in 45, a few clones and a couple of the Kimbers, but I feel the need to stay with a true 1911 for nostalgia and just for the sake of owning a real 1911. Perhaps a Colt.

Please chime in on your experience as I have none in this area.
    I know the best will be the one I shoot best however that's not a factor because I've only shot a couple in my life and I have no time to go to the range and test numerous 1911's.

One more thing, I have small hands, just FYI

I currently carry Springfield XD 40 subcompact, KelTec P3AT and now a polymer Public Defender by Taurus.

Thanks in advance everyone.

A bit off topic as i dont have experience with a 1911, shot a friends colt once and put better groupings then he did I think a 1911 is an awesome platform an very interrested on what responses you get, I live in a place where i am only own one firearm for now so i went with a p229 in 9mm

Thats a good choice if you're limited to one option IMO.
    Thanks for the input and I also look forward to the responses as well

VIP Member
    Any of the 1911s you mention would be a good start. If your desire is one that looks like the original 1911 a Springfield GI model is a good start, for a lower cost look into the RIAs good guns and great customer service. I have small hands also and the flat mainspring housing works best for me.
    Snider likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I know that they are new and new models sometimes have issues. However, the Ruger SR 1911 is a stainless model that is 100% built in the US with US made parts. It looks like it should be about 6 bills if you look hard enogh for it. It is listed with a retail price of $799.00. I have seen one guy advertise $587.00 but that would probably include another $50.00 for shipping and transfer fee. Good Luck!! The 1911 is a great platform!

IMO SA and RIA are some of the best out there for the money. The SA would be my first choice of those two in a "Loaded" package.
    dsee11789 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I carry a 5" SA Loaded Combat in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I have been looking at bobbed Comander (4.25") guns. I think they are the ultimate carry 1911. This is my $0.02 and you are sure to get lots of opinions on this topic.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

While some people bad mouth Kimbers, I've had one for several years and that is what I have been carrying just about every day since I got my CHL a bit over 2 years ago. I've used it in my CHL class, a couple of advanced classes, put a couple thousand plus rounds down range with it, and NEVER had a problem. Just my .02. There are a lot of good 1911s out there.
    AZDaven likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    A Colt Government model would be the true original 1911. IMO... They are pricey, but a Colt Series 70 or 1991 would be a great basic 1911. I have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, they are reasonably priced and offer three dot sights and polished feed ramp. The Mil-Spec would be my choice for a starting point in a 1911 today.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    IMO SA and RIA are some of the best out there for the money. The SA would be my first choice of those two in a "Loaded" package.
    SA Loaded in the micro... VERY VERY NICE
    3" looks good

My dad helped me "buy" my first 1911 when I was 14 or 15, a Para Ord with a barrel that was in bad shape. I swapped it for a brand new Colt barrel for $50 and owned it for ten years until it was stolen. Fired untold thousands of rounds with it, slept with it, loved it.

Replaced it with a brand new Springfield (GI?), feels exactly the same, looks the same, performs the same as my old used Para Ord. Wouldn't even consider owning anything else, of any flavor, as my go-to primary handgun.

Edit; I am a taller, bigger guy, but my wife can handle the 1911 without flinching (5'7" 135lbs). I intend to cc with it once my new Woolfe rig arrives!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paratus View Post
    SA Loaded in the micro... VERY VERY NICE
    3" looks good
    You might want to start out with a full-size. The short barrels can be a little finicky, and require some tuning. I love my 3", but I woulda been bummed if I thought it was gonna run right out of the box.

How much "tuning" was required to have it be sufficient?
    How many rounds?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paratus View Post
    How much "tuning" was required to have it be sufficient?
    How many rounds?
    It really depends. Too many variables on makes and models, and even then some work great right out of the box. However, my point was to save the 3" 1911 until you've really enjoyed your first full-size. You'll be much more likely to get off to a good start.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links