Simple inexpensive mod, like a new gun

This is a discussion on Simple inexpensive mod, like a new gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying my XD40sc lately rather than my revolvers and it has always been one of the guns I shoot very well. It just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Simple inexpensive mod, like a new gun

I've been carrying my XD40sc lately rather than my revolvers and it has always been one of the guns I shoot very well. It just didn't feel as good in hand as my Bersa 9mm but I much prefer .40 to 9. I figured out the difference between the two: GRIP EXTENSIONS!!!

So I ordered 4 Pearce grip extensions (none increase capacity) for some of my short 9 round mags and installed them this evening and IT FITS LIKE A GLOVE. Man, I could not believe the difference in the feel in hand. Something this simple, this inexpensive, and it makes all the difference in the world. I should have thought of this sooner. I've never liked the looks of the pinky extensions, but I have quickly gotten over that. This also leaves me one short mag with the standard flat base plate if I ever feel the need.

Anyway, for sub-compacts, the Pearce grip extensions are worth a look. It's like a whole new gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sounds Good...

bigdog44 likes this.

OK...I deserve the "this thread is worthless without pics." So, here's the visual of the difference:
    Attached Images

Hey Bug, what did they cost?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I got them on eBay for $9.50 ea ($38 total) and free shipping. I might could have looked around a bit and found them for a tad less, but none of my local shops had any for the XDs and with gas at $4 a gallon it wasn't worth going all over tarnation looking for them when they were delivered right to the house within a couple days.

GM
    It looks very nice. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I found the same results for my XDSC9. I went to the range a long while back and tried each of the magazine configurations (flush, Pearce Extension +0, and Springfield Grip Xtension for the full size mag). I found I shot the best with the Pearce Extensions so that's what I use exclusively.

What's odd is the Springfield extension is supposed to mimic the full size grip of the Service and Tactical models but I don't shoot as well using the SC and that Extension. However I shoot IDPA with my full size XD9 tactical (5") and I shoot very well with it.

They made a world of difference an my G26. The guy at a Gander Mtn. told me to just get used to the small grip. After all, I wanted a smaller gun. I put them on anyway and really like them.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I got them on eBay for $9.50 ea ($38 total) and free shipping. I might could have looked around a bit and found them for a tad less, but none of my local shops had any for the XDs and with gas at $4 a gallon it wasn't worth going all over tarnation looking for them when they were delivered right to the house within a couple days.
    Thanks, I'll look into some of these!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    They made a world of difference an my G26. The guy at a Gander Mtn. told me to just get used to the small grip. After all, I wanted a smaller gun. I put them on anyway and really like them.
    Yup. That was my biggest complaint with my G26. My big ol' Sasquatch hands needed more surface space to get a decent grip.

I love these on my xd9sc. It doesn't increase the butt profile all that much, because the back of the gun butt is still about the same size.

They print less than the full size mags, but way more than no extension. I bought a subby for the short grip. No extension for me please. I would just use the full size mag and gain capacity, and not just more grip and print of the peirce.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I ran into the same thing with my M&P compact, without the finger extension on the mag I hated the feel, but with the extension...aaahhhhh, like night and day. Smith and Wesson mailed me an extra for my spare mag at no charge.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I also have one full size mag with the boot grip extension, but I really don't like it. It makes it look like a cordless power tool. It also throws the balance of the weapon off and adds weight to carry. These extensions seem to be the perfect solution for me. I never had an issue shooting it without them, but I like it MUCH better with them.
    Attached Images

Glad they worked out for you. I am one of those lucky ones that don't mind my pinkie being up under the mag. I shoot real well that way too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links