Kahr trade be ateb

Kahr trade be ateb

This is a discussion on Kahr trade be ateb within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I posted the Kimber Solo thread a few days back. It seemed to fit my bill with all except reliability. Now trade my HK ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kahr trade be ateb

Kahr trade be ateb

Guys, I posted the Kimber Solo thread a few days back. It seemed to fit my bill with all except reliability.

Now trade my HK usp 9mm for the 1) Kahr P380 OR Kahr pM9.

So, so which is best for pocket carry and will go along a G 26.

Thanks!

IMO Kahr PM9 is too big for pocket carry. Some people can, but choosing between the two, the P380 would be my choice for pocket carry.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have a PM9 and it is to big for me to pocket carry, except for cargo pants or shorts. I really like the PM9 very reliable and accurate.

VIP Member
    380 will indisputably be easier to pocket (although I prefer an LCP). However, I can carry the PM9 in the front pocket of dress slacks or shorts, no problem - jeans not so much. I believe the PM9 still to be the best 'pocket nine' on the market.

Sitting here typing this with a Kahr 380 in my jeans pocket right now. I love the 380 as it is small, accurate and built like a tank. I have an LCP but do not like the trigger near as well nor does it have the quality of sights, and I just think the Kahr is a phenomenal little gun. IMO
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    +1 on the P380. Has a better grip, trigger, sights etc. that the other pocket guns and is accruate and reliable. I don't like .380 much as a caliber as I think it's on the small side of small but for a dedicated pocket gun I don't think you can beat it. the PM9 is a great gun but a tad big for dedicated pocket carry. If you're going to carry it on the waist then it makes sense to step up to a P9 or CW9 to get the extra round.

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The Kahr 380 will undoubtedly be easier to pocket carry, and previous posters have correctly noted that the PM9 is a bit bulky for the pocket. But I bought a PM9 over a P380 just because the gun fit and felt better in my hand.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

That p380 is tiny...and something to be said for it if you are using as a BUG, but the PM9 would be good because of common ammo. Really depends on how you will carry it and in what pants.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I went to my dealer today with jeans on (normally wear scrubs) and put both the PM9 and P380 in pocket holsters and walked around the store. The PM9 did fit front jeans pocket but I and the owner could seen decent printing and the top of the grip poking out of my pocket as I walked. I actually preferred the feel and calibre better but my goal was total pocket concealment- so 380 was the choice.

Debated between the Kahr P380, the SIG, SW Bodyguard, LCP and micro-Desert Eagle. Based on feel in my hand, the Kahr was the choice. Good news, they made an even trade for my 9 year old (police trade in) HK USP, with tax about $594. I paid $600 for the HK last year. I am pleased so far, now time to break it in. Suggestions on SD ammo for this particular gun?
    bigdog44 likes this.

Administrator
    I prefer the PM9 myself, possibly the perfect carry gun. However, since your goal is a pocket rocket, the P380 was the logical choice...and a very nice one at that. I'd use Speer Gold Dot #23606 if it were my gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not much to add that already hasn't been said. I own both the PM9 and P380 and find the P380 to be a much more comfortable pocket gun. Add some Buffalo Bore +P .380ACP ammunition and it will be quite the pocket rocket.
    bigdog44 likes this.

SD ammo suggestions in .380...

The FBI standard is 12 inches of penetration minimum, with 15 inches preferred. I've never seen a .380 JHP that will go 15 inches. Some will reach 12 inches, barely. Thus, in my .380 LCP, I use FMJ. As a bonus, you do NOT need super powerful Buffalo Bore (or other) "+P" ammo (for which there is no SAAMI standard) in order to get good penetration with FMJ. No need to beat up your gun with this ammo - it will not turn the .380 into something it is not.

Some gel testing:

GoldenLoki.com

Note - I checked the BB web site, and while they make much of their velocities, I did not see any penetration data with their hot .380 JHPs. Bear in mind that pushing JHPs at a higher-than-designed velocity sometimes results in over-expansion, and under-penetration (!). Sometimes, the bullets fragment and penetrate very poorly.

If anyone has some data that shows .380 JHPs meeting 15 inches when fired from these short barrels...I'd love to see it. In the meanwhile...use FMJ, IMHO.

Edit - regarding P380 vs PM9 as a pocket gun...the OP has made his decision, but for those who might be pondering a similar dilemma:

I own two LCPs, and a PM9. The PM9 is slightly larger, but significantly heavier (12 oz loaded vs 20 oz). The best way I can explain the difference is that I forget I'm carrying the LCP, while the heavier PM9 reminds me that it's there. I either wear business attire or cargo pants/shorts, and I've not had any issues with the PM9 fitting in those pockets. Jeans might be different, but I don't wear jeans much anymore.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

From what Golden Loki shows in their gel test...i think Sixto's recommendation makes sense, that Gold Dot looks to be a solid performer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

GM
    I do not have experience with the P380, but I agree that even though the PM9 is a very good firearm it can sometimes be a little too big for pocket carry.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Someone once said " Bring enough gun!" and "Bring enough bullets!" The choice is yours but a 9mm trumps a .380 in my opinion. It's your life - learn to dress around the issues.
    Don't leave anything to chance when your life depends on it! Get the best and hope for luck. Luck has a lot to do with it - The harder I work, The harder I train, The more facts I get, the better the equipment, The luckier I get.
    Last edited by paul45; May 7th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links