Do you ever buy used?

This is a discussion on Do you ever buy used? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a poor college student, I've only been able to afford used guns. I purchased my Glock 23 used, and received my SIG P228 used ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Do you ever buy used?

Do you ever buy used?

Being a poor college student, I've only been able to afford used guns. I purchased my Glock 23 used, and received my SIG P228 used from my uncle as a gift. I test fired the Glock and carefully inspected to make sure it was in working order before buying it.

So far, no issues - the finish still looks new and it shoots fine.

The way I see it, if it shoots fine and looks to be in good condition, why not get one used for $100 cheaper (plus it came with 4 magazines)?

Am I wrong in my thinking? Do any of you guys buy some of your guns used?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, I do, I own multiple rifles that are old military rifles, and have been used in the past.

Some of the best deals I have stumbled onto are police trade-in handguns. These are always quality make and model handguns, that a lot of time seem to of been carried a lot (so they have some finish wear), but usually show signs of not being shot too much. And they tend to be significantly cheaper than buying used. I'm always on the look out for police trade in's, as some holster finish doesn't bother me.

The biggest warning, is to look out for firearms that someone tried to "gunsmith" themselves, as there is no telling what they messed up, and it usually voids the warranty. But if everything appears to be as it should be, then I won't pass up a good deal just because someone else shot a gun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Never. I buy all my toys new. OTOH, I did just look at a used 1911 for a friend. Didn't buy as it was heavily shadetree gunsmithed with a questionable history. Might buy my girlfriend a used 9mm if I can find a good enough deal. I just don't like used for myself. I prefer that 'one owner' connection. Now if only I could afford to do that with cars.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    The way I see it, if it shoots fine and looks to be in good condition, why not get one used for $100 cheaper (plus it came with 4 magazines)?

Am I wrong in my thinking? Do any of you guys buy some of your guns used?
    Well, you just need to be a careful shopper. If the seller actually lets you shoot the gun to test it, then that is a big plus for sure. The gun should be field stripped and inspected carefully at the very least.

One needs to size up the seller, and the story that he has for selling the gun. If the person seems a bit shady, or the history of the gun a bit implausible, then I would pass on the gun. Certainly if you buy a gun from a relative or friend, you can generally be assured that the person is not being dishonest with you in any way at all.

There are some folks who do try to unload problematic guns onto others, so one does need to be vigilant.

If you buy a used gun from a local dealer or online from a remote dealer, only buy the handgun if the dealer offers a grace period for inspection. Immediately take the gun to the range and test it within the grace period, and verify that it has no problems.

If the dealer doesn't offer any such guarantee, then I would not buy the handgun from them.

P.S. -- Are you not a native of our state? The correct spelling for our state is this:

ORYGUN

Ab-so-fricken-lutely! You can find some great deals that way. And it's the ONLY way to find discontinued models.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Never. I buy all my toys new. OTOH, I did just look at a used 1911 for a friend. Didn't buy as it was heavily shadetree gunsmithed with a questionable history. Might buy my girlfriend a used 9mm if I can find a good enough deal. I just don't like used for myself. I prefer that 'one owner' connection. Now if only I could afford to do that with cars.
    I hope for your sake she doesn't read this.

I have, do and will.

I only buy used guns.

I prefer new, but I have bought some used weapons without ever having a problem.
    A used Glock? Never buy a used Glock if it's had over 50 million rounds through it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Depends on the make and model. Different manufacturers have different warranties and reputations.
    I bought a wonderful West German Sig p228 that was barely used...one of the best deals I've ever made.
    I also bought a lightly used Springfield 1911 from a reputable dealer.
    Since both the dealer and Springfield stand behind their products I had little to risk.
    No regrets at all.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Absolutely. Just make sure you know what to look for or have someone with you with knowledge of the weapon you are buying.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Prefer new but agree with Brass63. Some guns are built like tanks and can be found slightly used and they are great deals. I bought a used Sig 226 and had years of great shooting, then sold it and the guy who bought it shoots it a ton. Still not a single issue. But it is a Sig.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

VIP Member
    It took me a long time before I trusted my firearms knowledge to know what to look for.

I've never regretted buying new, but yes I do buy used now too.

Well there is used and previously owned. My dad bought a used Glock 22 and it was USED. I'm talking flat worn out with the trigger guard and backstrap drilled for an old laser system that had been removed and filled with black silicon, pitting in the slide around the hole for the firing pin.....I personally would not have bought this gun for the money he paid, but then he didn't know any better. He is an impulse buyer. Not that its a bad gun, but I had to do a lot of cleanup and replace the mags and springs before it would reliably feed. It was so dirty, the 3rd time I cleaned it after range issues, I just submerged it in a bowl of soapy water and went to town on it. A beach formed in the bottom of the bowl. So you definitely have to be careful.

Now, my S&W 686 .357 4" was previously owned and slightly used meaning it was obviously well taken care of. Minor surface wear and the barrel looked spotless. I had no problem buying it used, especially for $495 at my LGS. These are pictures I took right after buying it.

6863.jpg 6861.jpg 6862.jpg
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    I have, do and will.
    Yup. I've never had a problem. Plus I don't worry about getting any dings in them either.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Only 20% of mine are guns I bought new.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links