XS Big Dot- at night

This is a discussion on XS Big Dot- at night within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT If you are too lazy to learn them and want to accept other people's limitations - sure. Look. I know this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: XS Big Dot- at night

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    If you are too lazy to learn them and want to accept other people's limitations - sure.

Look. I know this is a difficult concept, but the sights are not the limitation you believe they are.

Are they a sight oriented for low light, close in defensive shooting? Yes.
    Are they limited to that? No.
    Can you make them work for long distance shots with proper trigger control and practice? Yes.

Are you willing to do the work?

You tell me...
    To lazy? Hmmm dont quite understand this. I shoot several days a week. Learning a new sight, no problem.

I believe XS sights are a limitation? Hmmm...wouldnt know Ive never laid eyes on them before, much less shot them.

Am I willing to the work? Hmmm...I guess. I aint bashing XS sights. I like the sight picture so I thought I would try them. I dont really care for 3 dot sights and the stock Glock sights are fair. So I turned to the fine folks on DC forum for some advise. Ive got some XS on the way, so I hope Im "up to it."
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

Cool

Don't know how well you can see it from this photo but Big Dot front sights on a revolver like my SP-101 with a pinned front sight are a great addition.

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I prefer the standard dot, I find the big dot is minute of milk jug for me even at 7 yards.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Don't know how well you can see it from this photo but Big Dot front sights on a revolver like my SP-101 with a pinned front sight are a great addition.
    Yup. I put a big dot on my 640 last week and took it to the range. It was grouping in the 1.25" range at 7 yards rapid fire. Clearly not Camp Perry accuracy, but I sure as heck would hate to be on the other end of this thing with that accuracy. Having the contrast on the sight, instead of just the black blade sight, took 0.25" off my groups all by itself. I assume that in low light, the benefit will be even greater in both accuracy and time to acquire the sight.

I have night sights on 3 of my carry guns (the 642 being the lone exception). I have nothing bad to say about the big dot. If you take the time to learn how it aims, you can hit what you are aiming at pretty well.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I prefer the standard dot, I find the big dot is minute of milk jug for me even at 7 yards.
    Good grief, SamRudolph, you sound like a grumpy old deer hunter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links