Lcr .38 vs. .357 ??

This is a discussion on Lcr .38 vs. .357 ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there very much difference if one shoots .38's out of the .357 or is it the same, virtually, using the .38 version as far ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lcr .38 vs. .357 ??

Lcr .38 vs. .357 ??

Is there very much difference if one shoots .38's out of the .357 or is it the same, virtually, using the .38 version as far as recoil is concerned. Less recoil would be the main reason I'g go for the .357 over the .38. Thanks for your input, Fellow ( & Gal) Gunners.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

the .357 is 3 ounces heavier than the .38 version due to the frame being upgraded to steel from the .38's aluminum frame. the extra three ounces do reduce recoil, but i don't know how much (never fired the .38 LCR). also, there's a youtube video of a guy with the .38 showing flame-cutting on the aluminum frame just behind the barrel. maybe i'm just strange that way, but i'd expect steel to hold up better than aluminum.

I have fired both and did notice a bit less felt recoil with .38's out of the .357 model then I did out of the .38 model. Not a ton my any stretch of the imagination, just a bit. If your not going for the lightest gun you can get I suggest going with t he .357 model. It gives you more options and options are good.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES (2) SO FAR! :wave
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    'Not a fan of the LCR, but of the two (as Rollo stated) options are a good thing. Go .357.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    FWIW, I have the .38 LCR but I wish I had the .357 for the reasons already mentioned.

Shooting a .38 out of a .357 revolver will supply far less recoil for two reasons, one being the .357 revolver is heaver platform than the .38. Second the .357 ammo is larger with more powder and more recoil. I have both and have shot both for many years.

I would opt for the .357 model. It will handle .38s just a little better and give you the option of .357 as you become more proficient. I like options you can grow into.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks, BigDude, and all the other responders. I kind of thought what you would tell me, but it's good to hear it from those who know more than I do about revolvers. This is a great place to get good info. and I appreciate it!:yup

with my j-frames my .357 has a longer ejector rod than my .38 which makes extractions more positive. also in my .357 i use gold dot short barrel .357 mag 135grn. ammo. not as hot as regular magnum loads but hotter than a +p .38, the recoil is not bad at all.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I just bought the .357 LCR and haven't been to the range yet. Loaded, it's noticeably heavier than my Smith 342 Ti. so I am rethinking pocket carry because I don't want a swinging bulge screaming "gun". I've ordered a Don Hume IWB holster but I'm not being overly optimistic. Whatever the outcome, it's has a great feel and will certainly become part of my rotation.

The primary advantage to a snubbie .357 shooting .38 has been mentioned; the longer ejector rod.

The advantages stated are also correct; strength and longevity being primary.

The is one caveat (there always is) if you shoot a steady diet of .38 out of a .357 you will get a carbon ring in the cylinders. It's not a problem, just accept it will happen and won't restrict your use of .38 in any way.

However, if you try to shoot a .357 with the ring build up, it will be difficult to fully insert the round and very difficult to extract the fired case.

BUT WAIT! There's more! To "fix" the carbon ring, you just need a chamber brush (it's bigger than a bore brush) and some elbow grease. Scrub each charge hole in the cylinder until the ring is gone. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, it's just something to remember if you switch back and forth from .38 to .357.

Good Luck and have fun!
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

The Charter Off Duty is only 1 oz lighter than the .38 LCR. I pick up the .357 LCR first thing in the morning so come heck or high water, you'll have a preliminary range report.
    Admittedly, a Charter is not a Ruger. I'm merely comparing the two because both are DAO models, and I don't have the money to buy both versions of LCR.

tracker1--- Great tip. Thanks!

crabbys44--- Would not have known about that. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links