Possible big change in my carry gun(s) coming......

This is a discussion on Possible big change in my carry gun(s) coming...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 23 EDC. I have for years. I love that G23. But recently, I bought a CW9 on GunBroker and I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Possible big change in my carry gun(s) coming......

I carry a Glock 23 EDC. I have for years. I love that G23. But recently, I bought a CW9 on GunBroker and I have to tell you, I love this gun. I've never been a big single stack guy, in fact I only own one other single stack gun, but I love the way this CW9 fits my hand.

before the CW9 joined the family, I thought the Glock fit me OK. Not great, but OK. The grip angle wasn't perfect for me but I shoot it well, and the grip was big and bulky, the classic "like holding a 2X4" thing, but I got used to it and hadn't noticed it for a long time. Now the CW9 is here and the more I hold it, the more I notice how the Glock doesn't really fit my hand.

Another gun that I have held a lot recently and fired a good bit in the past is the Ruger SR9 and SR40. I have to say, they fit my hand MUCH better than the Glock.

Here's the possible big change, I am thinking of switching over to an SR9c for EDC (at least until the SR40c comes out). I'm not getting rid of the Glock, I won't do that. I hate selling a gun to be honest. Can't help it, feels like I am selling one of my kids. And I have never sold a gun that I didn't regret getting rid of sooner or later. So the Glock will always live at our house. But I am seriously considering this.

I'm not asking opinions because I know there will be Glock diehards that tell me not to do it and Ruger fans who tell me that I am finally coming to my senses. I was just posting this as a way to run the thought process completely through in my head. The more I think about it the more sense it makes to me. I have always told anyone that I have helped into the shooting and carrying life to always get a gun that really fits your hand and is comfortable. And I now realize that I have not fully followed my own advice.

Just my ramblings....comment as you want.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

What about the Glock doesn't fit your hand? I HATED the way a 3rd gen Glock felt in my hand but a 4th gen with no back strap was a lot better. Still not great but better. However the SR series does seem to have better ergo's then the Glock. Out of curiosity have you ever held a M&P? As far as I am concerned they are the pinnacle of ergonomic. Glock is like a bench, ruger is a like a chair, M&P is like a lazy boy on a sunny beach with a endless supply of ice cold Miller High life being delivered by Megan Fox.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I understand your concern. I love my 23, I think it feels bulky in the grip then I hold my 228 and I realize the Glock isnt that bad. The Ruger seems to be a decent gun overall , but I really do not like the sights Ruger I think makes their sights a s ugly and different as possible just to be different. Overall, the SR line seems to be a gooc choice so far. Have you consider the TP Series in the Kahr line since you like the CW so well?

If the Ruger had different sights I would probably not mind having one myself. I really like the OD frame ones.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

We all have to work our own way through our carry choices based on our individual needs, wants, and likes. Those will differ from others and may even change for ourselves over time. I say congrats to you for finding what best suits you regardless of what it is.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'll add that I had shot my buddy's G23 a lot before I bought a .40 and I recall the conversation going back and forth like,

me: "you know, the grip angle feels strange to me"
    him: "you'll get used to it"
    me: "and the grip seems bulky for my hand"
    me: "and I can't stand that U sight on the back"
    me: "and the trigger is aweful"

..........and so forth and so on.

I went to a gun show intending on buying a G23 and thought, "you know, there's 200,000 guns here...why don't I look around and handle some of the others before I buy." You know what I quickly figured out? I don't have to get used to a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't suit me. I can buy a gun that suits me just the way I am with all of my other guns. That's what I did. The XD40sc was what I chose and I couldn't be happier. Like it was built to suit me.
    Lewis128 and WHEC724 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Mike, I just picked up my CW45 on Monday. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the feel is great. Don't really notice a difference in width, and the difference in length (about 1/4 inch) is no problem. Same great feeling trigger as the CW9. Can't wait to get it to the range this weekend and put it through the paces.

PS- I can handle giving up 1 round for the difference in caliber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Remember...carry the biggest pistol you can conceal easily, so why not go all out and get the Ruger SR40?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Administrator
    I think we've been through this before, havent we? We'll see you when you get back.
    jwhite75 and RETSUPT99 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I understand your concern. I love my 23, I think it feels bulky in the grip then I hold my 228 and I realize the Glock isnt that bad. The Ruger seems to be a decent gun overall , but I really do not like the sights Ruger I think makes their sights a s ugly and different as possible just to be different. Overall, the SR line seems to be a gooc choice so far. Have you consider the TP Series in the Kahr line since you like the CW so well?

If the Ruger had different sights I would probably not mind having one myself. I really like the OD frame ones.
    The grip is too bulky, the angle isn't quite right for me and the trigger reach is a tad too long for me. Simple as that.

And Yes, I have handled and shot the M&P series and I have considered them. The SR series just works better for my hand geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think we've been through this before, havent we? We'll see you when you get back.
    I have had these thoughts before yes, which only goes to show that there is something to it. If there wasn't some real concerns, I would not be revisiting the issue. Don't worry, once the switch starts, it will be full steam a head.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Have you held a Gen 4 Glock? My Gen3 23 always was just OK in my hand. Then I held a Gen 4 22 and it just melted in my palm. I laid down the cash and its been on my side ever since. Im curious as to how the Gen 4 22 grip compares to the SR40.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

TN, have you seen the new Ruger 1911?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Glocks don't fit me right either. Nothing wrong with them, I shoot them well, just not for me. Wife likes hers and that is fine by me.

The SR9 and SR9c are good guns from what experience I have with them. The CW9 is good from all accounts I have heard. I have handled but never shot one, but they seem like a pretty nice package.

Being in the same boat as you, in that I don't sell guns once I get one, even if you switch to the SR series and put the Glock back in the safe, it will always be there if you decide to carry it again later. Nothing lost, other than the price of the new gun and the holster you get to carry it in.

I am of the mind that if one can afford it, having multiple carry options is definately not a bad thing. I recently added a 4" XD 45 to my rotation, it fits me much better than the comparable Glock. With this latest add, I have 7 or so carry options available depending on what the day calls for.

So, nothing wrong with expanding your carry options. The SR9c might end up being the best thing for you. If not fall back on the CW9 or Glock if need be. Enjoy your new gun if it makes it home with you.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I hate selling a gun to be honest. Can't help it, feels like I am selling one of my kids. And I have never sold a gun that I didn't regret getting rid of sooner or later.
    Hear I thought you really had it together, but no your just like me.
    What is scarey though is I'm M&P your Glock. But My M&P is now my Home Defense and My EDC is an SR9c.
    Happy shopping.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The XD40sc was what I chose and I couldn't be happier. Like it was built to suit me.
    Excellent advice! I love my Glock 26, and will be getting another Glock at some point. But I know not everyone likes them, and I don't knock their judgement. Except for the guy at work who bought a Hi Point just because of price

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Have you held a Gen 4 Glock? My Gen3 23 always was just OK in my hand. Then I held a Gen 4 22 and it just melted in my palm. I laid down the cash and its been on my side ever since. Im curious as to how the Gen 4 22 grip compares to the SR40.
    Short answer, YES, i have held a Gen4. I don't like it as much as i like my Gen3.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    TN, have you seen the new Ruger 1911?
    Yes I have but, and I know this is sacrilege to some so please forgive me but, I am not a 1911 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Glocks don't fit me right either. Nothing wrong with them, I shoot them well, just not for me. Wife likes hers and that is fine by me.

The SR9 and SR9c are good guns from what experience I have with them. The CW9 is good from all accounts I have heard. I have handled but never shot one, but they seem like a pretty nice package.

Being in the same boat as you, in that I don't sell guns once I get one, even if you switch to the SR series and put the Glock back in the safe, it will always be there if you decide to carry it again later. Nothing lost, other than the price of the new gun and the holster you get to carry it in.

I am of the mind that if one can afford it, having multiple carry options is definately not a bad thing. I recently added a 4" XD 45 to my rotation, it fits me much better than the comparable Glock. With this latest add, I have 7 or so carry options available depending on what the day calls for.

So, nothing wrong with expanding your carry options. The SR9c might end up being the best thing for you. If not fall back on the CW9 or Glock if need be. Enjoy your new gun if it makes it home with you.
    Thanks. I agree with all that you said.

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    I hate selling a gun to be honest. Can't help it, feels like I am selling one of my kids. And I have never sold a gun that I didn't regret getting rid of sooner or later.
    Hear I thought you really had it together, but no your just like me.
    What is scarey though is I'm M&P your Glock. But My M&P is now my Home Defense and My EDC is an SR9c.
    Happy shopping.
    Yep, we are very similar in that respect. I have looked at the M&P as well. Thought about it too. it's on the list of possible guns to switch to. But the Ruger still seems to fit my hand better.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links