Advice/experience requested on 3 firearms

This is a discussion on Advice/experience requested on 3 firearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm looking for ccw pistol. I've narrowed it down to 3. These are the 3 that I've had the opportunity to handle, but not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advice/experience requested on 3 firearms

OK, I'm looking for ccw pistol. I've narrowed it down to 3. These are the 3 that I've had the opportunity to handle, but not shoot. All are in .40.

Walther PPS
    Sig P239
    HK USP Compact.

This will be a ccw pistol. I really don't have a preference, they all felt really nice in my hand. And I could conceal each easily enough. I'm looking for opinions from members who have carried/shot these pistols. Please keep info to these 3 pistols. Thanks for your time.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have a P239 in .40 S&W and can say that if you have no problem with 7+1 in a compact (definately not sub-compact) handgun, it is as good as you will find.

surv

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    another vote for the sig p239/40.

one of the best examples of balancing power, capacity, weight and size. very accurate and tops in the field of reliability.
    even more fun if you can get (EFKFiredragen use to make) 9mm conversion bbls. the 40 will also fit the easier to find 357SIG bbls.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

The PPS will hide the best, the Sig is a great gun, but id a little heavy and big for no more capacity than it offers. The USP is a great offering from HK but probably a little bulky also. Al woudl be great shooters and conceal just fine witha proper holster and decent belt. I would probably go with the Sig first, then the HK then the Walther.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Have two of them...

I have the USP40c and the Sig P239 in 9mm. Both are excellent guns and I can't fault either one. From a carry standpoint I tend to favor the P239 because it seems to conceal a little better. If capacity is important to you, however, the USP40c gives you 12+1 rounds compared to the 7+1 of the Sig in .40. The 9mm P239 gives you 8+1 rounds, which is enough for my purposes.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    cough! Glock! cough!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I conceal carry an HK USP Compact in .40 S&W and a Walther PPS in 9mm. Both conceal very well, but obviously the Walther PPS conceals better since it is lighter, shorter and thinner than the HK. Both are great guns, I've had zero malfunctions, they are tough, accurate and have awesome ergonomics. If I had to buy only one for concealed carry, I would get the Walther PPS. Why? Because it is so easy to conceal that I would be able to carry 24/7 in a very comfortable manner.

I have no experience with any Sig Sauer pistols other than a Sig DAO P250 that I shot during a tactical course.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    cough! Glock! cough!
    GunGeezer--I have owned 3 Glocks, 33, 27 and 23. I had NO problems of any kind. I just can't shoot one worth a crap! The 3 pistols I listed in the first post, IMO, felt and handle better than the Glocks I owned. Maybe I didn't give the Glocks enough time? I've had the opportunity to shoot other compact pistols and can do rather well with them at self-defens distances. Heck, I have a brother-in-law who loves Glocks and can shoot the hell out of them! I just can't get used to the grip.

Thanks to all for the info. Anyone else?

Of course I'm concerned about reliability, so anyone have any positive or negative about the 3 pistols listed?

VIP Member
    I have the PPS and Sig you mentioned, both are great guns though a bit different. Do you like the mag latch on the PPS, I hate it but carry it anyway. The PPS is probably lighter and more comfortable to carry and IMHO has a great trigger. The Sig is hard to beat, I don't think you mentioned whether you'd prefer DA/SA or DAK?

I can't help you on the HK. I think you have it narrowed down to some good choices, but from here most of the emphasis should be on your personal preferences, likes/dislikes, price, etc
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    This will be a ccw pistol. I really don't have a preference, they all felt
    really nice in my hand. And I could conceal each easily enough. I'm looking for
    opinions from members who have carried/shot these pistols. Please keep info to
    these 3 pistols.
    I have a 239 and a HK Compact. I have shot several hundred rounds through the Walther.

All are reliable and accurate. Any would be an excellent choice, I dont think you could go wrong with any of them. With that being said, since you like them all and they all feel good in the hand, the next thing to think about is capacity.

I do believe that the HK wins that category.
    That is what I would go with. Although you may never need that capacity,the world continues to get crazier by the day and it could be a good thing to have.
    oneshot likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The SIG P239/.40 is one of my faves...no problems with whatsoever...it comes down to personal preference.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    I'd choose the 239 with the HK close behind. However, the 239 in 9mm is a fantastic shooter. I'd urge you to consider the 9mm.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd choose the 239 with the HK close behind. However, the 239 in 9mm is a fantastic shooter. I'd urge you to consider the 9mm.

^^^^^^^^No Doubt^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the simple fact on price of ammo alone.
    Went turkey hunting last weekend, and on the way home, stopped @ Gander Mt. in Saginaw.

They had UMC 250 pks;

9mm____$59.95
    .40 ______$99.95 YIKESSSSS!!!!!!!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

So far, and with some input here, I'm leaning toward the P239 in .40. No problems with 9mm, but I have a lot of $$ in .40 ammo already. What really burns me a little is that the PPS and Sig only come with 1 mag! Haven't priced the mags for these, but I'd guess they aren't cheap. The HK isn't out. Still doing some research, etc.

Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links