Need to get something out of my head RIGHT NOW!

This is a discussion on Need to get something out of my head RIGHT NOW! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been slowly saving for another gun and I'm stuck between a more subcompact-ish 9mm or a second 1911. (I also have an HK USPc ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need to get something out of my head RIGHT NOW!

Need to get something out of my head RIGHT NOW!

I've been slowly saving for another gun and I'm stuck between a more subcompact-ish 9mm or a second 1911. (I also have an HK USPc .40 which conceals pretty well with a CBST but something smaller and lighter might be nice) It took me almost year to save for my last 1911 and wound up with a nice Colt Series 70 which was my first love and I really like the classic lines. It doesn't bite me either and shoots great. Now I'm wanting another 1911 with a more contemporary or custom look. I'm thinking a skeleton hammer and beavertail along with a good dehorn job may be a little easier to IWB carry too. I've thought of a Colt Combat Elite but was surfing one of those "other" forums dealing with 1911s I started oogleing over the Dan Wesson Valor or Les Baer TRS. If my wife knew the money involved even with a Combat Elite she would probably shoot me! Looking at the DW or Les Baer or getting another Colt and sending it off for custom work got me thinking about how to make it happen and how long... MUST...RESIST... Get those ideas out of my head NOW!

Heres a couple pics of my Series 70.

edit - If you wish me marital strife and financial hardship feel free to post your 1911 pics!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sweet Colt bud! By the way, where do you shoot? I see you are in my neck of the woods. PM me if you don't want to pass the details on line.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    coco-bolo rules. and the gun supports the grips nicely

i vote that it needs a friend
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thanks! I'm south of Seattle and usually go to Bullseye indoor range or further south to the Tacoma Sportsmans club when its nice outside.

The one you have is my idea of a perfect 1911, and it would be all I needed...but I understand the bug. BFWIW, I don't think you can really improve on the basic 1911 Colt.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but those ideas are not going anywhere. Buy that next gun so that those thoughts will rest, for a few weeks anyway.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 7th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but those ideas are not going anywhere. By that next gun so that those thoughts will rest for a few weeks, anyway.
    This is so true. After 25 years of gun ownership I still find " There is just one more I need." Note the key word-need.

here are a few to look at. No marital strife intended. The hardship..can't promise.
    Attached Images
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

GM
    DW’s are very nice firearms. If you want a DW that is easier to carry than your Colt you might want to look at the V-Bob Commander.

I should also consider a DW Commander Classic Bobtail (CBOB). They are not very easy to find because they were discontinued 2010, but they are awesome 1911’s and you get a lot of firearm for the money.

I love Colt’s and I love the retro look, and your Series 70 is a beauty . Have you seen the blued Colt Commander 1991 Series? It is soooo sweet and the price is not that bad ... and it is a Colt , Colt 1991 Series

I should not worry so much about the hammer or the beavertail, you can always change them.
    Last edited by GM; May 7th, 2011 at 05:02 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

What about combining your ideas and getting a 9mm SA EMP?

If you want classic and custom combine check-out the fusion lineup, you can get a complete gun or kit any way you want it! Made by the past president of Dan Wesson, Bob Serva. Also comes out cheaper in the long run, with choice of calibers.
    Last edited by Harleycolt; May 7th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.

May want to take a look at the Citadel Compact 1911 if you are looking for a more budget minded carry 1911. For the most part, they get good reviews and at $450-$500 they won't cost you your marriage. With some custom grips they look quite nice. Also has the beaver tail and skeleton hammer and trigger reliefs cut in for a more modern look. Sights ain't fancy, but good for a CCW IMO.

I'm basically thinking between a couple very different categories for my next pistol. Either I get a small 9mm for easier carry or a fullsize 1911. My HK USP compact carries pretty well and I already have a fullsize 1911 so I don't really desperately need a DIFFERENT style pistol I guess. I'm just looking for a slightly different flavor. I'm not really trying to combine them either. I really prefer the fullsize 1911 for shooting and while a commander or officer size 1911 would be nice its not really on the radar but a light, cheap(er) plastic gun might be. Maybe an M&P compact in 9mm or .40 or a HK P2000SK. I've even thought of a glock 19 to just beat around with and take advantage of cheaper ammo to plink with. If I ever get my wife to shoot having a 9mm or .22 pistol to start out with is also a consideration. I'd like to eventually get her to come around and be ready to defend herself when I'm not around.

What I'm starting to think hard about is a more modern or custom featured 1911 like a Colt Combat Elite or even higher level like a Les Baer, Dan Wesson, ed brown etc. I've made up my mind I'll wait until my credit card is paid off before any more guns and I'll pay cash so the financial hardship part is more or less a joke but I'd have to work hard, save hard, and wait longer. There is some definite satisfaction in doing it that way. I waited a year and paid cash for the series 70 I pictured above and I"m proud of that fact. The tough part is to justify not only to my wife but also myself about spending up to 2K on a 1911 where that money may be better spent in other areas like getting ahead on the car loan or having additional savings or retirement squirreled away. The other argument is that If I wasn't working hard for something I really want or saving for a gun I may just waste it on eating out or in other areas instead. I still put small amounts each month into a savings account and a simple IRA. I'm 30 with a new house and we're really trying to start a family so different priorities are coming to light and long term planning is important. Once kids come into the picture additional fun savings may be out of the question anyway. I have plenty of years to save for guns and I already have some nice rifles and a shotgun that have already been passed down to me in addition to the 2 pistols i own so life is good.

My downfall is that I have some expensive tastes and a real appreciation for fine craftsmanship. I enjoy working with my hands and tinkering with anything mechanical so I take pride in owning something I know is built by a truly skilled person. I guess thats why I am drawn to my stupidly expensive watch (I'm also a cargo pilot - just justifying here) and 1911 handguns. I guess the good thing is that I'll take spending that kind of money seriously and not without considering other things and the consequences.

I've got to admit, I'm really drawn to the clean lines of the Dan Wesson Valor!

Kimber alternative

I'm wanting another 1911 with a more contemporary or custom look. I'm thinking a skeleton hammer and beavertail along with a good dehorn job may be a little easier to IWB carry too.
    Have you considered a Kimber Pro CDP? They are designed for carry and come from the factory with a "melt" or dehorn job that makes them more contoured than a typical Colt with its sharp edges. The CDP has a 4 inch barrel, night sights, front strap checkering and a beavertail. I modified mine to make it even thinner with slim grip panels and a single side thumb safety to replace the standard ambi safety. The gun has been completely reliable for me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but those ideas are not going anywhere. Buy that next gun so that those thoughts will rest, for a few weeks anyway.

^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Go buy whatever you want.
    Women are a dime a dozen.

They are just like the bus.

Wait on the corner, and another one will be by in 5-10 minutes!!!

Teasing/joking rant OFF!!

Nice pics.
    I too know the fine line of presenting the idea of bringing another firearm into the house.
    When I do, my wife usually throws me a catalog of caskets and says pick one.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links