Got rid of my Taurus 709

This is a discussion on Got rid of my Taurus 709 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a friend of mine initiate a trade last night that concluded today. He is fairly new to concealed carry and had bought a Beretta ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Got rid of my Taurus 709

Got rid of my Taurus 709

Had a friend of mine initiate a trade last night that concluded today. He is fairly new to concealed carry and had bought a Beretta M9 (yeah I know). Yesterday he out of the blue asked me if I'd trade him my Taurus 709 Slim and the four magazines I have for it (roughly 2k round count) for his Beretta M9 and four magazines for it (two 15 rd. two 17 rd., appx. round count less than 3 boxes) trade guns and I give him $250.00. I thought about it over night, and wanted to give him time to think about it as well, as I said he is a friend. I called him this morning and said OK if he still wanted to trade, he did. I now own an almost new, it does look new, no blemishes at all Beretta M9. I doubt I will miss the Taurus, while it never once malfunctioned I have a G26 and G36 and honestly didn't need it. I can't say I needed a Beretta M9 either, but after I thought about it I wanted one.

Hope to get in some quality time with it this week. It may become the bump in the night gun.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like you got a good deal, and your both happy, so what more can you ask for.

I personally am not a fan of the M9. I first shot it when the military converted over to it. Being AF we were using S&W .38 special revolvers back then, IIRC 4" model 15's. While I'm sure there have been many improvements in the M9 in the last 25 years, it just hasn't ever grabbed me as a gun I wanted or needed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I had a 92FS which is about the same as the M9. For some unknown reason I shot the Beretta better than any of the other DA/SA 9mm autos, I'd ever shot. It was very comfortable in my hand. Hope you have some fun with it.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    Had a friend of mine initiate a trade last night that concluded today. He is fairly new to concealed carry and had bought a Beretta M9 (yeah I know). Yesterday he out of the blue asked me if I'd trade him my Taurus 709 Slim and the four magazines I have for it (roughly 2k round count) for his Beretta M9 and four magazines for it (two 15 rd. two 17 rd., appx. round count less than 3 boxes) trade guns and I give him $250.00. I thought about it over night, and wanted to give him time to think about it as well, as I said he is a friend. I called him this morning and said OK if he still wanted to trade, he did. I now own an almost new, it does look new, no blemishes at all Beretta M9. I doubt I will miss the Taurus, while it never once malfunctioned I have a G26 and G36 and honestly didn't need it. I can't say I needed a Beretta M9 either, but after I thought about it I wanted one.

Hope to get in some quality time with it this week. It may become the bump in the night gun.
    Good trade for you! Don't worry that Taurus would have gave you the horns sooner or latter. Just think, you get a nice Beretta and get to teach your friend a lesson all at the same time! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Taurus for Beretta?? Oh yea, Id make that trade any day of the week.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

A good trade is when you both walk away feeling good about it. I rarely carry my 709 anymore (or any 9mm actually), but it's just darn fun to shoot. Hope you enjoy your new acquisition.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Good trade for you! Don't worry that Taurus would have gave you the horns sooner or latter. Just think, you get a nice Beretta and get to teach your friend a lesson all at the same time! LOL
    WHAT???????
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    WHAT???????
    Ever heard "Buy The Bull And Get The Horns?"

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Ever heard "Buy The Bull And Get The Horns?"
    I've never heard that, no. But I don't hear much anyway; I'm deaf.

However, I've never read that anywhere, either. Don't know what it means.
    ksholder likes this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Administrator

Its a phrase coined by yours truly a couple of years ago.

to the OP, Polite golf clap.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It means if any other brand of firearm has an issue, the replies you will get will range from "it's a good firearm, they'll fix it", "its ok, they'll take care of it and it will be fine", etc. but if a Taurus with 3,000 flawless rounds has ONE failure of any kind, the responses will be "I can't believe you bought a Taurus", "I could never trust my life to a firearm that failed even once", "You must burn it at the stake and undergo an exorcism for buying a Taurus to rid yourself of the bad mojo."

If you think I'm being facetious, do a search through all of the threads on issues with Gen 4 Glocks, Sigs, S&W M&Ps, Kahrs, etc. and then read the ones involving a Taurus.
    ksholder likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    It actually means their customer service sucks and they don't truly stand behind their products... but that's enough of that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool

Is that like "getting it stuck to ya"? Good trade on the OP's part.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It actually means their customer service sucks and they don't truly stand behind their products... but that's enough of that.
    That is exactly what it means!

I'm not a Beretta fan, but I have shot them and they were OK guns, if a bit large. I have owned three Tauruses over the years. I had a 24/7 c 45 that was flawless for about 800 rounds. It was light, small, easy to carry and accurate within reason. I also had a PT745 and PT145, both of which were not reliable, and Taurus never fixed them, although they had two chances. I didn't have either long. I recently sold the 100% 24/7 simply because I had this nagging doubt about the pistol because of the other two. I would have made the trade!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links