Patience and Prayer Pay Off. Men- read this story please

This is a discussion on Patience and Prayer Pay Off. Men- read this story please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so here's my story, I will try to keep it short. I've loved guns for my whole life. I shot my first gun at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Patience and Prayer Pay Off. Men- read this story please

Patience and Prayer Pay Off. Men- read this story please

Ok, so here's my story, I will try to keep it short.

I've loved guns for my whole life. I shot my first gun at age 6. I've been married for 16 years. Shortly after my wedding, I told my wife I wanted a gun. My wife told me "My old boyfriend once hold a gun point-blank to my forehead and I am terrified of guns, I don't want any in the house". I let it go for a while, then asked her if I got a gun and kept it in a small safe while at home was it ok, she said yes, but even if I came home I had to put it in the safe before giving her a kiss or doing anything else. We agreed. I carried my Sig for about 5 years then.

I stopped carrying when my MS progressed. Then about a year ago I got interested again. I asked her the same question, we had since sold my little 1"x1" safe in a move. She said the same thing. I then asked if I could please try to teach her that gun's aren't bad, people can be. She walked out of the room, I took that as "not now".

8 months ago Constitutional Carry passed in AZ. I REALLY got the fever then. Through discussion, my prayers and knowing my marriage and wife were ultimately more important than guns, I helped her understand them. She still wouldn't touch one or even want me to show one to her. I got a Beautiful Pro Carry II for Christmas and she asked that I keep it on the top shelf of the closet when I'm home. I did. It's WAY better than the old days. I don't have to run to the safe when I get home, I can take my time, I can now even keep it on the bedside table. I also have a 1962 six shooter from my dad. That I keep on the shelf int he coset. Fast forward to last weekend (been busy this week to post this) and we go to the grand opening of my range/LGS's new location opening and she is looking at the guns, and see's little girls as young as 10 signing up to shoot balloons int he range. I sign up to shoot and she says "can I go in with you"? YES!!!!!! I go in, load my 6" .38 revolver my dad gave me a few weeks ago. she looks at it with eyes wide open. Then it happened...

"Do you think I can shoot it"? WOW, WHAT A CHANGE! I said sure, I took the time to teach her the rules. I then helped her learn to hold it, then she shot. Quite well actually, she shot an evil gun 18 times. I am SO proud of her.

The moral of the story is I had patience with her. I took the time, I prayed about it. I taught her that her boyfriend instilled a fear in her that was un-teachable.

On the other hand, this could end up biting me in the behind. today she said "when can we go back to the range? can I shoot your .45 next"? I feel confident that I will be buying her her own little pink .38 or .380 by Christmas.

Please respect your wives men. Never pull the macho "I'm the mad of the house" crap. it's not the 1950's. Respect and faith pay off in the end.

P.S. I now want an AR-15, she still thinks those are "scary looking". Next hurdle in view.

2. Remove Ads

I've seen pink AR-15s, if that helps at all.

If you let her shoot your .45, she'll probably want that, so don't waste your time with .380s, etc.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Congrats! She'll be wanting one of her own soon!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Excellent. I love reading stories like this. Your loving patience really paid off here.

It's a nice change from the "leave her" and "just declare it as the man of the house" type posts I see.

However, I'm also aware that some wives still won't come around, even after many years of loving patience. I feel for those guys. I don't know how they go on, but I raise an e-beer to them.

Great story! One more added to the nation of gun lovers.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Great story. I'm in a similar situation.

My wife has recently asked to "go shooting" at the range.

Definately, an exciting Turning Point.

Thats a good story man. In the end if you push to hard people just push back. Sounds like you did great. Also sounds like your wife and mine have something in common... They can shoot just about as good as us on their first/second time shooting. I help my wife with proper holding and teach her to aim.... she blows a hole through the middle of the target with only one or two strays...

Anyhow Good luck man. Congrats

Glad to hear things turned around. A little warning to the wise; buy 2 AR-15s, my wife took my first one and I had to get another. Hey, there are worse problems in life , right? But seriously, woman seem to love the "macho" guns.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Good to hear that she's coming around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    Thats a good story man. In the end if you push to hard people just push back. Sounds like you did great. Also sounds like your wife and mine have something in common... They can shoot just about as good as us on their first/second time shooting. I help my wife with proper holding and teach her to aim.... she blows a hole through the middle of the target with only one or two strays...

Anyhow Good luck man. Congrats
    I've heard that women are naturally better shooters because they don't pick up bad habits from playing with toy guns like anticipating recoil and slapping the trigger.

Well done sir. That's a strong lady you are married to. Not easy to trust after that experience with the old boyfriend.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Excellent. I love reading stories like this. Your loving patience really paid off here.

It's a nice change from the "leave her" and "just declare it as the man of the house" type posts I see.

However, I'm also aware that some wives still won't come around, even after many years of loving patience. I feel for those guys. I don't know how they go on, but I raise an e-beer to them.
    I'm one of those guys and yes I keep praying about it.

OD*
    Excellent indeed.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Little kids, and little girls in particular are the best salespeople for things of this nature.

Women see them around firearms, and shooting them, AND doing it safely, and unafraid and they {the women} seem to lose the stigmatisms surounding the "evils of guns".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Great story. I am glad for you and your wife.

" If you ask anything in my name it shall be done of my father which is in heaven".
    VBVAGUY and AZDaven like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

los
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.!

Make sure to post photos and a range report on your "scary looking" rifle, .. when you get it..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links