Trade the Kahr?

Trade the Kahr?

This is a discussion on Trade the Kahr? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking lately, my MK40 is too heavy for pocket carry. I forced myself to pocket carry for a year now. I still primarily ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade the Kahr?

Trade the Kahr?

I've been thinking lately, my MK40 is too heavy for pocket carry. I forced myself to pocket carry for a year now. I still primarily carry my G30 everywhere. But for the days I don't want to, or to and from work, I pocket carry my Mk40. Well, I can't take it. It's too bulky and heavy. I love that it's a .40 and small. .40 is a great round, but I'm not fond of it, at least in this frame. It's very snappy. It makes my .45's feel like a .22LR. I shoot it well enough to make consistent hits at 7 yards. Problem is, under stress, that group will grow. Grow enough that only 50% may only hit the target, if that.

Otherwise, the Kahr is great. It's been reliable, it looks great, and again, it's a powerful caliber in a small package, which is impressive.

My bro-in-law brough over his new Beretta Tomcat today. Wow, that thing is awesome! but it's .32ACP I'd like something in at least 9mm, but I may settle for .380. I don't think I'm going to find a pocket 9mm for the price of trading in my Kahr. so I may have to go .380. I know with modern ammo, .380 doesn't do so bad in stopping power, but still, 9mm is preferred.

There is a Ruger LCP in OD green that's been sitting in the BassPro for as long as I can remember. It's tempting.

I know .380 isn't a preferred caliber, but is it really that bad as an up close an personal weapon? I know I'd prefer not to be shot by it

What to do! And respond quick, this may be going down tomorrow afternoon after I finish watching the F1 race! Also depends on what the shops are willing to give me on a trade for my Kahr. Does BassPro take trades?

I'd look for a comfortable holster option to handle the Glock-30...your BEST option, so stick with it.OMO

There is certainly nothing wrong with the .380 IMHO, I sometimes carry the KelTec P-3AT with me for short trips to the local store...but nothing can replace the comfort I feel when I carry my normal EDC...my Glock-36.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The G30 is going nowhere. It's my first and favorite gun of ALL my guns. I do have a nice holster for it, but I like pocket carry for when deep concealment is needed. I shouldn't have really said "But for the days I don't want to...". But there are times I want to leave the house in sweatpants or gym shorts, the G30 isn't going to work.

But the Kahr, ehh, it's just not quite doing it for me.

I agree 100% with your last statement. Exactly why I'm looking at a .380 (or small 9mm). The Kahr doesn't fit the bill.

Administrator
    You should be able to trade an MK for a PM9.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ... or a new CM9 at least. Same design, same magazine, but you lose half a pound of gun over the MK9.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Now that is a very good idea . The PM9 is a very good firearm, and if you can shoot a MK40 you will master the PM9 without problems . It weights only 15.9 oz with empty mag and it is a 9mm (better than a .380).
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

So if you like the Kahr name and 380 is where you think you may go. Then why not a Kahr .380? They are outstanding and easy to pocket or IWB conceal. Great shooter, great trigger and built like tank with an excellent Walther barrell. They also have a great safety system built in that will not allow them to fire unless you pull the trigger. I would not buy anything without giving it a good once over.

Good luck on the trade. Might go to a dedicated gun store as they may work a better trade if you also buy from them. Find they are more willing to work with customers than big box places. JMO
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

The PM9 was definitely a candidate. The problem is size. It's the same size as the Mk40, actually slightly longer than the Mk40, according to their website.

When I bought the Mk40, I bought it as a back-up/pocket gun. Realizing it's JUST a touch too big and heavy. The PM9 will only solve the the problem of weight, but not size. Seeing as though 9mm (the cartridge itself) is hardly any physically larger than .380, I don't understand why 9mm pistols are always much larger. Are they larger for recoil management? I'd love to find a 9mm the same size as the LCP. The new LC9 looks too big. Even bigger than the PM9.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up with an LCP or a S&W Bodyguard. I have to remember I'm buying this as a small back-up/pocket gun, not a primary. I'm concerned with the performance in .380 because I usually carry .45, but really I don't think there is a problem with .380, it's just choosing the right ammo.

Consider a S&W 442 or other variation of Airweight snubnosed .38 revolver. Mine is my go-to pocket gun. Dress pants, shorts, loungewear, jacket (can be fired from within a jacket pocket). Very versatile, very light, very easy to carry in any manner. Just something else to consider.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    The PM9 was definitely a candidate. The problem is size. It's the same size as the Mk40, actually slightly longer than the Mk40, according to their website.

When I bought the Mk40, I bought it as a back-up/pocket gun. Realizing it's JUST a touch too big and heavy. The PM9 will only solve the the problem of weight, but not size. Seeing as though 9mm (the cartridge itself) is hardly any physically larger than .380, I don't understand why 9mm pistols are always much larger. Are they larger for recoil management? I'd love to find a 9mm the same size as the LCP. The new LC9 looks too big. Even bigger than the PM9.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up with an LCP or a S&W Bodyguard. I have to remember I'm buying this as a small back-up/pocket gun, not a primary. I'm concerned with the performance in .380 because I usually carry .45, but really I don't think there is a problem with .380, it's just choosing the right ammo.
    Yes, the PM9 is going to be a little big for pocket carry in a lot of pants. But, it is the smallest and lightest common 9mm out there. You do have some more options for the pocket if you go 380, but none of those are a really perfect option either. I keep beating the J frame drum for pocket carry. I bought a 442 a few years ago with the intent on it having a very limited role. The little gun surprised me so much, its now the gun I carry most. So, don't short change the mighty J's.
    Heck, if you sell your MK yourself, you should have enough to buy a 442 or 642 plus plenty of cash for some holsters and ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have the Kahr MK9, PM9 and P380. I don't find the 9's to be comfortable pocket carries due to their size, but the P380 is perfect for pocket carry. I also have a S&W 638, but I'm not a fan of the way it prints in my pocket. Try a few out at your local gun store and see which one works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Consider a S&W 442 or other variation of Airweight snubnosed .38 revolver. Mine is my go-to pocket gun. Dress pants, shorts, loungewear, jacket (can be fired from within a jacket pocket). Very versatile, very light, very easy to carry in any manner. Just something else to consider.
    +1 on the 442 or 642. I don't have one, but from the looks of it, they are a favorite pocket gun for many on here.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

For reliability, my preference would be for a revolver over a small auto, but...for me...the revolvers don't work for pocket carry (too big - I have thick thighs).

I have two LCPs, and a PM9 for that role (flatter profile). The LCP will always work in a pocket, the PM9 usually works, but is heavier - due to the 9mm being a much higher pressure cartridge compared to the .380 (so the guns need to be stronger). I usually carry the PM9 with the LCP in the opposite pocket.

Which to choose will depend on what works better for you. If the LCP (or similar) works better, then go for it and don't worry too much about caliber. I use FMJ ammo in my LCPs (FBI desired penetration is 15 inches, .380 FMJ gets 16-17, the best JHPs in .380 only get 13).

I would certainly consider the CM9 - for the cost of a PM9, you can just about get two LCPs.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I've thought about revolvers, but they just seem like they'd be a tad thick. I was looking into the Ruger LCR, until I saw one in person. Much bigger than I thought. I like the idea of simplicity and reliability, but I just don't see how they'd be much better than an Mk40 in my pocket. A gun store certainly won't let me walk around the store for a while with it in my pocket to test it out :)

The attraction to the LCP in price. Even if I traded my Mk40 and they low-ball me, it'll still most likely cover the price of an LCP. I don't think Basspro does trades, but they have had an OD green LCP there forever I keep looking at. The OD green is cool.

I'll be paying much more for another Kahr. I'd probably go for the P380 if it wasn't for price. Plus, I've never seen one IN a store. Even a dedicated gun store.

My other (not the one with the Tomcat) bro-in-law has offered to buy my Kahr from me as his first pistol. I don't want to sell it to him because I don't think he'd like it in the long run. I don't want to sell him something he may not end up liking, even though he'd give me more money than a gun store on a trade. I'd rather him get something he really wants.

If you can carry the LCP comfortably, I'd say .380 is better than nothing. I have a Diamondback 380, but it has a spotty record, and I'm still evaluating mine, so I can't recommend it at this time.

Diamondback should be shipping their DB9 pretty soon. It's only a teeny bit bigger than the 380 (the DB380 is basically the same size as an LCP). The factory tests sound promising, but I'll have to see. If it works, though, I will definitely snap it up. I won't have to compromise with my pocket gun caliber.

I think a lot of people were disappointed with the LC9, in that it wasn't a 9mm LCP. I think the DB9 will be the closest to achieving that dream. Nothing else comes close... so if it works, I think ti'll dominate the market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links