Defensive Carry banner

Comparing the HK45 to the FNP 45

23K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  jyo 
#1 ·
Here's a detailed review I posted last night of the HK45 and FNP 45.

Questions and comments are welcome.

#3 ·
Nice video! It is great you post them up here on the forum for all of us to enjoy.

I have a USP 45 and an FN 45 tactical. Big fan of both and find your discussion points right on. I like the FN for many of the same reasons. The number of rounds being a big one. Very smooth shooters. :danceban:

Attachments

#4 ·
Good video of two very good guns. I like the way that you subjectively compare each without the bias that we usually encounter. I have an FNP-9 that is a really sweet shooter and the FNP-45 is one that I am looking at for the future. I think that the FNP-45 actually won the actual military testing but was never funded. Keep up the good reviews!

#5 ·
Good review, a couple of things I'd like to add are that the HKs sights are night sights. They are not tritium and require a light charge to make the green dots glow. If I recall the reason being that tritium is prohibited in Germany. Regarding the safety of the HK45, it can be moved to the right side of the gun for a lefty, there is also an ambidextrous lever available. Also, the trigger variants. The HK can be converted two two different variants of LEM, with or without safety lever, single action with no decocker etc. etc. I really like the versatility. It can even be tailored down even more using different combination of springs.

I do agree on the capacity, I've had 14 shot .45s and they are HEAVY, then again those were alloy framed Paras and not polymers but the polys aren't exactly the lightest there is either. Coming mainly as a 1911 shooter, I'm comfortable with having the 25% increase in capacity found in the HK45. The slimmer grip and lighter weight make for a more carry friendly package for me.

On price there is no doubt that the HK costs more, but with smart shopping it can be negated, I saw on HK45 on clearance for $750 a while back and there are deals to be had when buying used.

Now all that being said, has I not found the package deal on my HK45 I would have had a hard time choosing between the two.

#6 ·
Good vid!

I would concur, insofar as your choice and logig.

HK, hard to beat.

FN, better for all the reasons you stated, price for most being the most significant, 14-15 rounds of .45 in a gunfight would be second, and devastatingly to your advantage.

#7 ·
You can't go wrong with either, so picking one is tough. But given the big price difference and the fact one offers 5 more rounds in the magazine than the other, for a defensive handgun that makes not picking the FNP 45 hard to do. I've found both pistols to be 100% reliable.

One other point I didn't raise in the video is that with the FNP it's safe to shoot lead reloads due to the traditional button rifling in the barrel. With the polygonal barrel of the HK, it's not a practice that's encouraged and many consider shooting lead in them to be unsafe. I can reload .45 ACP for less than $4.00 per 50 using recycled brass I get for free. Lead bullets are significantly less expensive than jacketed. So for me, the FNP 45 just makes more sense... if I could only have one of the two.

#8 ·
Very Good Info...I held an HK45 and abolutely fell in love with it....As mentioned the ergos are great! I simply love, love, love, the narrow, slimmer grip as it fits well into my hands. I was able to get one new for $819, albeit, on layaway. I can't wait to bring it home....

#9 ·
First of all, nice video. Both are great guns, but why compare the FNP 45 to the HK45? The more accurate comparison would be FNP 45 vs. H&K USP 45. The USP is more comparable in terms of price, capacity, and ergos to the FNP. The HK45 is in a league of its own in terms of ergonomics and just feel in the hand regardless of hand size. The FNP is for sheer gorilla mitts nearly on par with a Desert Eagle .50, lol. I love both guns and wish the FN fit me better because I would definitely own one.

Also, when you were running the chrono comparison were you using reloads or factory ammo? I wouldn't put too much stock in those results unless you are a meticulous reloader who removes as many confounding variables much like a competition rifle shooter would.

#15 ·
I shot them both and find them to be excellent weapons. I was looking for a concealed carry weapon and neither really filled a void in my rotation. If I was looking for an open carry weapon, duty weapon, or dedicated home defense gun they would both be my top two on the consideration list. The HK45C is on my short list for new new guns.

#20 ·
First off that is a great video you did on both guns. I own both. They both shoot on par with each other in my opinion. One doesn't shoot better than the other. The HK45 feels better in my hand than the FNP45 but then again I don't have the smallest hands so it doesn't really make a difference. I think the HK45 feels a little lighter in a holster, but I reckon that is because it's 4rds shy of the FNP45. The FNP45 is certainly a man's gun, and the one I prefer. I don't like the fact that it didn't come with night sights like the FNS-9MM does. That would have made the gun more appealing I think. By and large the FNP45 is the best buy out of the 2, price being the biggest factor.

#21 ·
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but will be checking it out tonight. I love my FNP-45 for home defense, truck gun and fun at the range. One of these days I'm going to pony up the cash for a really good IWB holster to try and CCW this beast. I've shot an HK USP 45, M&P 45, Dan Wesson 1911 (not sure what model) and an XD 45 but I shot best with my FNP-45. I haven't touched an HK45 yet but I am interested in shooting one. I seriously doubt I could ever justify that kind of money on one, and my wife would probably use it on me if she found out.

#23 ·
I tend to like anything FN (like my orig 50.00 FAL and several P35s), on the other hand, I've become addicted to more than a few HK pistols---my older USPf 45 shoots like a rifle---I can't seem to miss with it! Very satisfying. I looked at the newer HK45 and also liked it---but I went with the smaller 45C as I already have a couple of full-sized 45 pistols and have been trending towards smaller guns lately. Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.