Comparing the HK45 to the FNP 45

This is a discussion on Comparing the HK45 to the FNP 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a detailed review I posted last night of the HK45 and FNP 45. Questions and comments are welcome....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Comparing the HK45 to the FNP 45

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Comparing the HK45 to the FNP 45

Here's a detailed review I posted last night of the HK45 and FNP 45.

Questions and comments are welcome.
    1911 Lover, HotGuns and Ranger45 like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Very good video! Thanks for sharing
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Nice video! It is great you post them up here on the forum for all of us to enjoy.

I have a USP 45 and an FN 45 tactical. Big fan of both and find your discussion points right on. I like the FN for many of the same reasons. The number of rounds being a big one. Very smooth shooters.
    Attached Images
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Good video of two very good guns. I like the way that you subjectively compare each without the bias that we usually encounter. I have an FNP-9 that is a really sweet shooter and the FNP-45 is one that I am looking at for the future. I think that the FNP-45 actually won the actual military testing but was never funded. Keep up the good reviews!

JD
    Administrator
    Good review, a couple of things I'd like to add are that the HKs sights are night sights. They are not tritium and require a light charge to make the green dots glow. If I recall the reason being that tritium is prohibited in Germany. Regarding the safety of the HK45, it can be moved to the right side of the gun for a lefty, there is also an ambidextrous lever available. Also, the trigger variants. The HK can be converted two two different variants of LEM, with or without safety lever, single action with no decocker etc. etc. I really like the versatility. It can even be tailored down even more using different combination of springs.

I do agree on the capacity, I've had 14 shot .45s and they are HEAVY, then again those were alloy framed Paras and not polymers but the polys aren't exactly the lightest there is either. Coming mainly as a 1911 shooter, I'm comfortable with having the 25% increase in capacity found in the HK45. The slimmer grip and lighter weight make for a more carry friendly package for me.

On price there is no doubt that the HK costs more, but with smart shopping it can be negated, I saw on HK45 on clearance for $750 a while back and there are deals to be had when buying used.

Now all that being said, has I not found the package deal on my HK45 I would have had a hard time choosing between the two.

VIP Member
    Good vid!

I would concur, insofar as your choice and logig.

HK, hard to beat.

FN, better for all the reasons you stated, price for most being the most significant, 14-15 rounds of .45 in a gunfight would be second, and devastatingly to your advantage.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with either, so picking one is tough. But given the big price difference and the fact one offers 5 more rounds in the magazine than the other, for a defensive handgun that makes not picking the FNP 45 hard to do. I've found both pistols to be 100% reliable.

One other point I didn't raise in the video is that with the FNP it's safe to shoot lead reloads due to the traditional button rifling in the barrel. With the polygonal barrel of the HK, it's not a practice that's encouraged and many consider shooting lead in them to be unsafe. I can reload .45 ACP for less than $4.00 per 50 using recycled brass I get for free. Lead bullets are significantly less expensive than jacketed. So for me, the FNP 45 just makes more sense... if I could only have one of the two.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Very Good Info...I held an HK45 and abolutely fell in love with it....As mentioned the ergos are great! I simply love, love, love, the narrow, slimmer grip as it fits well into my hands. I was able to get one new for $819, albeit, on layaway. I can't wait to bring it home....
    Weteva* Works!

First of all, nice video. Both are great guns, but why compare the FNP 45 to the HK45? The more accurate comparison would be FNP 45 vs. H&K USP 45. The USP is more comparable in terms of price, capacity, and ergos to the FNP. The HK45 is in a league of its own in terms of ergonomics and just feel in the hand regardless of hand size. The FNP is for sheer gorilla mitts nearly on par with a Desert Eagle .50, lol. I love both guns and wish the FN fit me better because I would definitely own one.

Also, when you were running the chrono comparison were you using reloads or factory ammo? I wouldn't put too much stock in those results unless you are a meticulous reloader who removes as many confounding variables much like a competition rifle shooter would.

Great video. I've held both and it is a really hard decision for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    Great review. I enjoyed it. I've shot both, I have both the USP and the compact. I do like the FN and can see one in my future.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Why was I htinking that the normal capacity for the HK45 was 12 rounds?
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

JD
    Administrator
    USP45 holds 12, as does the MK23 IIRC, they slimmed down the mag tube on the HK45to make the grip what it is.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Senior Moderator
    I find that my HK45 10 round magazines easily accommodate 11 rounds, and I am quite comfortable with that capability (when I'm carrying the H&K).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I shot them both and find them to be excellent weapons. I was looking for a concealed carry weapon and neither really filled a void in my rotation. If I was looking for an open carry weapon, duty weapon, or dedicated home defense gun they would both be my top two on the consideration list. The HK45C is on my short list for new new guns.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links