Tangle's pick of the week...

This is a discussion on Tangle's pick of the week... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that know me, you'll probably realize I like too many guns and continuously test, evaluate and rotate through several guns, hence, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock

Thread: Tangle's pick of the week...

Senior Moderator

Tangle's pick of the week...

For those of you that know me, you'll probably realize I like too many guns and continuously test, evaluate and rotate through several guns, hence, my 'pick-of-the-week' is just about that - the last gun I shot - well, I should enhance that with the last gun I shot well.

I've carried some form of a Sig P250 for the past 3 months or so - that's probably a record for me, but that's not my pick of the week. I decided to take a Sig P229R DAK, a Sig P229R E2 SRT (the real E2), and a G17 to the range and do some 'side-by-sides', as if I hadn't done that this month.

It was interesting for me, because I had some 'expectations'. I have long maintained that what we want to be, i.e. our preferred outcome, would have a significant impact on the outcome of side-by-sides.

I shot the G17 first, with excited expectation I might add, hint, hint, the E2 next and the DAK last. I decided to shoot 25 shots per gun, five shots at 3, 5, 7, 10, & 15 yards and shoot for off-hand accuracy. I've been working up nerve to to a timed version of this, but so far, the nerve hasn't been quite ready yet . My concept was that 25 rounds would be plenty per gun without tiring out i.e. degradation of mental focus, by the time I shot the last 25 rounds. Performance proved that to be an accurate concept.

The target:
    I typically shoot reverse B-27s; there's a reason for that, but for brevity’s sake, I'll not get into that. I started with a clean target for each gun. I like b-27s because they have areas that are quite conducive to grading. There's a central 10 ring (with an X ring inside the 10 ring), followed by a 9 ring, 8 ring and 7 ring. Of course other type targets have rings too, but I like the b-27s. Since I was shooting 25 rounds from each gun, the maximum score would be 250.

The G17:
    All my Glocks have Ghost Rocket connectors in them as does this particular G17. As expected, I shot the Glock well. I shot a wee be faster than I intended to but still got a 248 out of the possible 250. I barely missed the 10 ring with two shots that were touching each other. Glocks are fun to shoot!

The P229R E2 SRT:
    Well, I had expectations in mind for this gun too, after all, after the first long, unnecessarily heavy DA shot, the trigger reverts to a short reset, short stroke, much lighter SA trigger. In keeping with the concept of the DA/SA, I fired the first shot of the five shot strings in DA; I figure if it's a DA/SA, one should shoot from the DA mode.

To my surprise, this was a miserable disappointment. Five shots were fired DA, 20 SA and I had a score of 244. That means I missed the 10 ring 6 times. I can't believe I'd even admit that.

I am by no means saying this is the fault of the gun or trigger per se, I just didn't shoot it well, and was quite surprised.

The P229R DAK:
    First 25 rounds - 250! Second 25 rounds firing significantly faster - 249! Well, hmmm, maybe the trigger type has more of a bearing, at least with me, than I expected. For me, the P229R DAK is an absolute dream to shoot. It may have an advantage because I've been shooting the P250 DAO so much lately; I've got 1900 rounds through P250s in one variation or another so far for the year.

Anyway the P229R DAK is my pick of the week and maybe longer - it just depends on how long I resist wanting to carry something else.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Newbie info ~ reverse B-27 target.
    jwhite75 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Yep - there are a couple of variations. One, the one I used, is just black circles on white. Another is of course the one you pictured, and another is one with the area between the 10 ring and X ring 'blacked' in. I don't like the blacked in one much; I do like that red center though.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Good post. Thank you both for the quick education on the reverse B27 targets. I was about to google it up.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Interesting, one of my son's who is with MLB and can afford anything he wants chooses the Sig 229 DAK for daily carry.

VIP Member
    Interesting report, thanks for posting.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Interesting, one of my son's who is with MLB and can afford anything he wants chooses the Sig 229 DAK for daily carry.
    If he was with the NFL he would carry a Glock....
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links