Home from the range with CW45

This is a discussion on Home from the range with CW45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a Kahn CW from Bud's 2 weeks ago. It arrived last Monday and today was the first opportunity I had to shoot it. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Home from the range with CW45

VIP Member

Thumbs up Home from the range with CW45

I ordered a Kahn CW from Bud's 2 weeks ago. It arrived last Monday and today was the first opportunity I had to shoot it. Took it to the range along with an assortment of ammo. All of the ammo used was 230Gr ammo. 100 rounds of Federal Champion, 100 rounds of Tula steel case and 100 rounds of Remington. I also took along 50 rounds of Federal HST +P and 25 rounds of Winchester Supreme Elite.

General impression of the gun. Trigger is decent. Smooth, crisp and not too long of a pull on it. The bar/dot sights took some getting used to (my problem, used to conventional 3 dot), but once I did had no problem with sight picture. Recoil was manageable for a gun this size. Definitely more than my 1911, but I expected that.

Started with the Federal rounds. Gun fed them flawlessly. No FTE or FTF with it. Ran 50 rounds through it. Everything within a 6" circle.

Moved on the the Remington. Again, the gun ate them without a hiccup. Ran 50 rounds of it. Results were within the same area.

Then I moved to the Tula. That was a mistake! While my 1911 will chew them up and spit them out without a hitch, this gun does not like them. Loaded up the first magazine. First round fired and ejected, but nothing when you went to pull the trigger again. While the gun appeared to have gone into battery, it apparently didn't. Tried to eject the round and the slide would not move more than a 1/4 inch. Checked the magazine and verified I had a live round in the chamber. After fighting with the slide for several minutes, I managed to get it to come back and eject the round. Checking the casing, it appears the extractor had not grabbed hold of the case. You could see marks where it looked like I finally forced the extractor over the casing. Thinking that maybe it was just that 1 round, I reloaded it and fired. Same thing happened again. Cleared the gun and put the Tula back in the bag.

Switched back to the Federal. Again it functioned perfectly. After another box of Federal, I went back to the Remington. Again the gun functioned flawlessly. Guess the Tula will stay in the safe until I take the 1911 out again.

Switched to defensive loads. Started out with the Winchester Elite. Gun handled them with no problems. Recoil was not bad. Fired the full box without a hitch.

Moved to the Federal HST +P. The gun likes them fine. Again no problems with them at all. While the gun liked them, I did not care for the recoil. +P in a gun this size is VERY stout. Granted I would not be shooting a lot of them out of it, I would prefer the recoil that the Winchester Elite gave me. If I could find the HST in a non +P, I would probably get them for carrying purposes.

Overall it was a pleasant day shooting. As soon as I find a holster for it, it will become my carry gun for back and forth to work, and doing quick runs to the store. No way will it replace my DW 1911, but I have no problems relying on it if needed.
    ripley16 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Great review. Yea, that Tulammo stuff is tough in some guns.

I have a question, I was looking at the CW9 for my wife as a carry gun, but could not get over the fact it has NO safety of any kind. Your thoughts about this please.

VIP Member
    Personally I have no problem with it not having a safety. As long as the gun is in a holster that covers the trigger, and when unholster the finger is kept off of the trigger, it is not going to fire. My wife has the CW9 for her carry gun. She carrys it in her purse in a pocket holster. the trigger is covered until she pulls it from the holster.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

All Kahr pistols have a unique can system with there triggers. This caming system much like a DAO revlover cocks the gun as you pull the trigger. As the trigger comes back the 1st cam will pull the striker back then allowing the 2nd cam to push up on the fireing pin block. They do have a rather long trigger pull like most DAO revolvers. As long as, like Archer51 stated, you keep the trigger gaurd free and clean of anything including your finger you should have no issues with this firearm.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    archer51, Nice report, thanks. Some folks, (me included) resort to grip sleeves or sanding paper to make the grip less rough. What is your opinion of the aggressive grip surface?

I tied Hornady TAP +P and found it much less pleasant to shoot than standard range ammo. For practice...no, for carry...yes.

los
    Very nice report, archer.

Looks like your Piece likes quality ammo. I'd spoil her, If I were you. ..

Congrats.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ripley16 If i may say sir the aggressive grip surface is not really that bad. I have a CW9 and have shot the CW45. It only looks aggressive but in actuall feel it is not to bad at all.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    archer51, Nice report, thanks. Some folks, (me included) resort to grip sleeves or sanding paper to make the grip less rough. What is your opinion of the aggressive grip surface?
    I Have a P45 that I put an A-Grip on - now its perfect.

Congratulations on your new gun!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post

I tied Hornady TAP +P and found it much less pleasant to shoot than standard range ammo. For practice...no, for carry...yes.
    I actually installed a Hogue Jr. slip on grip sleeve when I picked it up. Just personal preference, but prefer the feel of the rubber grip sleeve to textured poly grip. Shot my wifes CW9 without the sleeve without any problems.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links