Buying my first CCW pistol

This is a discussion on Buying my first CCW pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide what to get for my first carry pistol. Ideally I would just buy a few different pistols and sell the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first CCW pistol

I am trying to decide what to get for my first carry pistol. Ideally I would just buy a few different pistols and sell the ones I dont like but being a student that isnt an option right now. As far as caliber I want a .45acp but am leaning toward a .40 s&w for now so that I can afford more practice ammo. The one thing I am not sure on is what size of pistol I can get away with carrying comfortable on a daily basis. I love the feel of the H&K USPc .45 but I just cant stand the trigger. Maybe I could just buy a XD stubby and sell it if I decide I want to try something else? Thanks in advance.

Assistant Administrator
    IMO your ammo costs will be better served by going .45 acp.!

Your dress mode will if examined critically give you some idea of how much you can conceal well - and then it will be a case of budget and personal preference - which really is down to what you can get your hands on to try.

We can suggest a miriad selection of good guns but what works best for you is what will be best most probably.

Others will add too as I will - the chosen gun must reside in a good leather rig and be on a good belt - this can make all the difference for comfort and concealment.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah I have come to the realization that no matter how many hours reading gun reviews and spec sheets the only way I am going to find my "perfect match" is to start trying things.

For the ammo cost comments do you mean even though the ammo is more expensive I am better off starting with the .45 then trying to transition to it later?

I have seen that you 50 and 100 round boxes of Winchester White Box at Wally World is the same price in both 40 and 45. Other practice ammo can vary both ways. And premium defense ammo is about the same. For economy go with 9mm, thats the only round you'll see a difference in.

Yes everyone will suggest their favorite. I personally prefer SIG. I have a 220, which is their full size single stack 45acp. I bought that model because it was too good of a deal. If I didn't have that deal I would have gone with a 226 in 9mm because the one I rented was the most accurate handgun I've evert fired. The Sig 239 might be a good choice, you can buy a 40 cal and get a 357 barrel if you want.

Take a look at anything from Sig, Glock, HK, and SA XDs. If you like the 1911 you have too many options and I can't begin to advise you there. Of course Walthers, CZ, and S&W Autos are also good choices.

Is there a range that rents guns nearby? Thats the only reason I know i probably won't ever buy a HK USP. I've always thought they looked awesome, but when I rented one I realized they were too bulky, controls too awkward and the grip checkering was too sharp for my tastes. And the SIG I rented a few minutes latter felt like they made it for me.

If not ther might be some friendly members that might meet you nearby and let you try their handguns.

I have known 9mm to be the cheapest with .38 special a few cents higher.
    .45 acp 230 gr. ball ammo is a few bucks cheaper than .40
    Buying bulk is the way to go though.... an example is 500 rounds of .45 acp, 230 gr. jacketed ball ammo for $125 plus or minus a few dollars...
    .44 magnum and .45 Long colt bring the most dollars in a 50 round box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumetre
    I am trying to decide what to get for my first carry pistol. Ideally I would just buy a few different pistols and sell the ones I dont like but being a student that isnt an option right now. As far as caliber I want a .45acp but am leaning toward a .40 s&w for now so that I can afford more practice ammo. The one thing I am not sure on is what size of pistol I can get away with carrying comfortable on a daily basis. I love the feel of the H&K USPc .45 but I just cant stand the trigger. Maybe I could just buy a XD stubby and sell it if I decide I want to try something else? Thanks in advance.
    Find a gun store that has a range and rents guns. Try out guns of different calibers to see what you might shoot best. Or if you have a friend with a small gun collection, get him to take you to try different guns. Otherwise, unless you're rich, you could end up going poor trying to find the right gun.

I love .45 guns to death, but honestly, I shoot 9mm waaay better. And my opinion is, whatever you hit the target best with, is what you should use for self defense. I would not go smaller than .32, and preferably, not smaller than .380. Unless it's absolutely necessary. (There can be some reasons to go smaller than .32, physically handicapped comes to mind.)

As some other people have already pointed out, 9mm is about the cheapest for range ammo. You can of course go cheaper if you take to reloading your own. But I wouldn't recommend it, until you talk to someone you might know who does it, and see if you might like it.

IMO you will find WAY more cheaper ammo prices at a 9mm level---you will also benefit from the lighter recoil and high mag capacity. 9mm vs .45 is a debate within itself....but for the beginner I feel that there is no better alternative. Also there are MANY economical guns available in the 9mm platform, both new and used (don't be afraid to buy used). Happy shooting and good luck with the decision.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I have to highly recommend the SIG P229, the Glock 23, or the Springfield XD-40 Service. I own all three, and carry all three. My preference is in the order that I listed. The SIG is heavier, but I shoot better with it. The XD has a longer grip and tends to print more for me, but not by much. The Glock shoots great, but I am not a huge fan of the grip angle. I would not feel bad with either of them on my hip.

I was checking out a Colt Defender today and that would be nice but it only holds 6+1. Does anyone make a double stack compact 1911?

Assistant Administrator
    Does anyone make a double stack compact 1911?
    Pretty sure Para Ordnance has at least one to offer - forget model #.

To really up the capacity tho for .45acp - the Glock 30 (is it? - trouble remembering all the numbers) and the Springer XD-45 - neither of course a 1911.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Check out the ParaOrdinance line for double stacked .45's, not sure how compact they are. I have nearly gone broke trying to find the best guns for CCW, and I've learned that reading the gun mags, although fun and sometimes helpful...can't compare to shooting and carrying them myself. Try to find a range that rents or try a friends guns to see what you like.

What does IMO stand for??
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Im just guessing after sitting here a minute and looking at the context it was used in, that it possibly stands for
    In My Opinion =IMO?

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

yup IMO. We definately need an abreviation sticky. I am still trying to figure out what "BUG" stands for...

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumetre
    yup IMO. We definately need an abreviation sticky. I am still trying to figure out what "BUG" stands for...
    That would be... Back Up Gun
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links