PF-9 info?

This is a discussion on PF-9 info? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone know anything about the PF-9 from Kel-Tec? Link I see some reviews about the gun that are great, some that are lousy. Reading a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PF-9 info?

PF-9 info?

Anyone know anything about the PF-9 from Kel-Tec?
    Link

I see some reviews about the gun that are great, some that are lousy. Reading a professional review says that the first generation was lousy, but the problems were quickly resolved.

I would like a pocket gun for when I try to get into smaller pants, I will be wearing a tucked shirt regularly soon, and my IWB holster (a M-Tac) won't work with some of my tighter (from before I got fat ) slacks.

Most of the pocket guns out there are .380s, and I really would feel more comfortable with a 9mm or bigger. After digging around, this is probably the lightest and slimmest pocket 9mm out there.

I'll still be carrying my XD-40 with me off body, but I'm just not interested in exclusive off-body carry.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There are a bunch of threads if you search on it.

In a nutshell, I'm pleased with my PF-9, but in comparison with the PM9, I believe the Kahr is worth the extra $$. Both are reliable and accurate.

The PF-9 has a very rough grip and a lot of sharp edges that find a way to snag inside the pocket. The PM9 is smooth as a bar of soap.
    Attached Images

I searched, didn't find any other threads here. . . I wonder if the search bar isn't working right or something.

I've seen a few comparisons, and the Kel-Tec seems to win most of the time. Do you have one of each?

I really don't have a lot of cash to spend on this, and the price point for the PF-9 sure is . . . encouraging.

I've got one and I like it but for me its a little too big for pocket carry.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    I've got one and I like it but for me its a little too big for pocket carry.
    This will be for pocket carry in slacks or khakis. . . if I'm wearing jeans I'll be carrying IWB. Do you think it will work for that purpose?

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I added some pics above. If cash is tight, I think you'll be pleased with the PF-9.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I do not own a PF9, but I do own a Ruger LC9 which is just about dimensionally exact. If you are thinking of buying it exclusively as a pocket gun you may be disappointed, especially if you are wearing tight pants and a tucked shirt as you mentioned. It will definitely print. It will be difficult to carry that method because the PF9 though small and thin, it is not a tiny gun. If pocket carry is what you have in mind, I'd suggest one of the currently abundant pocket guns.

Ruger LCP
    Kel Tec p3AT
    Kahr CM9

Just to mention the most popular. You might even get away with an airweight snubby at only 15 oz. for pocket carry.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I had a PF9 that worked perfectly. I sold it simply because I was not a very good shot with it. According to my targets, the BG would have been dead but I was n.eover able to be consistant with it. The fellow who bought it was extremely pleased with it and had zero complaints. They ARE good pistols and DO fit a nitche but it just was not for me. Proof again that no single pistol or revolver is perfect for every individual.

My best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I added some pics above. If cash is tight, I think you'll be pleased with the PF-9.
    Great pictures, that helps a lot. Even in the 'comparison' reviews I've found, there aren't many pictures of them side-by-side like that.

Which one has the shorter trigger pull? I hear the Kel-Tec is a lighter pull, but how long is it? My normal carry is an XD, and it's got an almost SA trigger, so a longer DA trigger will take some getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I do not own a PF9, but I do own a Ruger LC9 which is almost dimensionally exact. If you are thinking of buying it exclusively as a pocket gun you may be disappointed, especially if you are wearing tight pants and a tucked shirt. That will make it difficult to carry that method because it is not a tiny gun. If pocket carry is what you have in mind, I'd suggest one of the currently abundant pocket guns.

Ruger LCP
    Kel Tec p3AT
    Kahr CM9 Just to mention the most popular.

The LC9 is quite a bit heavier, isn't it? Also wider, IIRC. I'm not a fan of the .380 pocket guns, since most of them are too small to let the .380 cartridge perform very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I had a PF9 that worked perfectly. I sold it simply because I was not a very good shot with it. According to my targets, the BG would have been dead but I was n.eover able to be consistant with it. The fellow who bought it was extremely pleased with it and had zero complaints. They ARE good pistols and DO fit a nitche but it just was not for me. Proof again that no single pistol or revolver is perfect for every individual.

My best!
    I have bigger than average hands, I'm wondering how that will affect my accuracy with it. . . I can't hid the broad side of a barn with my friend's LCP.

VIP Member
    PM9 has a way better trigger (much smoother and maybe shorter), but it only takes me a magazine to get used to the PF-9 trigger and then start drilling with it. It is a long DAO pull, but if you take some time with it, you should have no problem becoming proficient.

I have a PF9 and like it. I do pocket carry but probably will have a hard time with jeans. It fits but I am not sure about the print. My trigger is long but it is only 5 to 6 pounds. Much less pull than my Smith revolver. I bought this to up size from an LCP. I like no safety, no magazine disconnect, and no loaded chamber indicator. It is also lighter than the new Ruger LC9.

Love mine, no issues and its my primary carry gun. Price is right works great for pocket carry. Here is a hint though, if you get one dont replace the guiderod with a steel one. The plastic one looks cheesy but it doesn't bear any load and the flexibility is supposed to be there. I hear people that put the steal one in have reliablity issuess and put the plastic one back in. I've had no issues with mine bone stock, if anyone has conflicting data conscerning the steel guide rod please correct me as this is mostly internet hearsay. Anyway no malfunctions with mine through a few hundred rounds.

My PF9 has been good to me these many months I have been pocket carrying it. The trigger leaves you wanting a better one(I'm trying to be nice) but it'll get the job done. If the CM9 was out when I purchased my PF9, I wouldnt have a PF9. Just saying.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I have the Keltec PF9 also and what makes it very attractive is that there is now a .22LR kit for it. So now you can practice with less expensive .22LR !!! I have one of the kits on my PF9 and so far have shot 300 rounds through it without any problems. I hope this helps. God Bless

Twisted Industries, Inc.

Great input guys. I'm glad to see this, as I am considering all of these pistols. The only comparison I've heard between the PM9 and CM9 is that:
    "with a P series is a rollmark slide vs. engraved, a contoured slide top (fluted corners), dovetail FS, extra mag. and of course a match polygonal barrel rather than conventional rifling"

Functionally, what difference do these changes make? I really don't care about the looks, so if there isn't any functional difference, that makes my decision easier.

The PF9 was leading my search, mainly due to price point (since I haven't had my hands on any of them yet) but I have heard a lot more negatives about the Kel-tec than the Kahrs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links