Concealed weapon for a recoil sensitive person?

This is a discussion on Concealed weapon for a recoil sensitive person? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by js I own and plan to carry a Kahr pm9. My wife who owns a 22 LR and she cannot handle the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed weapon for a recoil sensitive person?

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js
    I own and plan to carry a Kahr pm9. My wife who owns a 22 LR and she cannot handle the recoil of the Kahr 9mm. She really wants something small and light but more than a 22. 380? 38?

js
    My wife weighs 110 lbs dripping wet and carries a S&W 642 (.38 Special) revolver everywhere. She can handle the recoil just fine even with +P loads.

Oh BTW Welcome to the forum.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

I just got a Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry. Wonderful gun. 2 boxes through and perfect so far. No recoil for me but I'm a big fella. It is my pocket BU gun.

VIP Member
    Hi js,

Your PM9, being a punchy little gun (I had a K40!) and rather small-framed and of lightweight polymer, may have contributed to her recoil problem. A heavier, steel framed gun in the same caliber would eliminate a lot of the recoil, and she may be able to enjoy the caliber.

If she is healthy with no hand/wrist problems, I honestly do not see why 9mm would be big problem for her, if she is willing to take the time to consistently practice with her gun, which she should be doing, anyway, if she is serious about self-defense.

Take her to a rental range and get her to shoot many different kinds and calibers of guns, semiauto and revolver. She may find she's not as "wimpy" as she thinks she is. Hopefully when she realizes there's a lot of small women out there who do enjoy and are good with larger calibers, it'll encourage her to shoot more and experiment. (And there's nothing like the thought of a 250 pound rapist coming at you to want you to shoot a bigger gun!)

Some things you just need to acclimate to. I'm not saying she needs to risk injury and end up a flinch-o-matic, but with all of us, there's a certain amount of compensation we have to do to carry our guns to protect ourselves (like a change of wardrobe to conceal a gun).

Most .380s I've handled have a punch to them, and many 9mms are "softer shooters" than a .380. I've always liked the Sig 232 in .380, so she may give that a try. My only .380 I have now is my Colt Mustang, which can be hard to find and expensive, but a pleasure to shoot and it's very small and concealable. In 9mm, she can try a CZ Rami or 75c. There's also any number of steel-framed .38 Spl. revolvers that would also work.

In the summertime I carry a S&W 640 (.357) and in the cooler months when I can conceal a bigger gun, I carry my USPc in .45. I'll also carry my CZ 75c.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

My Kel-Tec P3AT has more "felt" recoil than my Glock 19 9mm. The size of the P3AT is not enough to absorb much of the recoil. My wife carries a Kel-Tec P-32. It has much less recoil and loaded with the right ammo ("Gold Dots") can do some damage.

It you don't need something that is as concealable as the P-32, then I agree with the folks who recommended the Bursa Thunder. It has a lot less recoil than the P3AT. If you want a little more punch, then check out the Glock 19 it is a very simple pistol to use.

Betty has the right idea. Go to a rental range and check out some of the different guns. It might be a good idea to make a list of the ones people mentioned in this thread that you want to check out and call ahead to see how many they have on hand.

Good Luck!

many thanks to all for the advice, its given us more options to consider. We are going to the range in the next week and try some of the various guns they have available.

JS

I'm trying to get my wife to go a range with rentals for just this reason. She likes the Taurus M85 .38Sp'l. She hates my PA-63 (Alum. frame Walther PP clone) in 9x18Mak. She says it's too snappy and she's afraid of slide-bite. She's afraid to shoot my XD40sc for reasons she hasn't articulated and she can't hold up my 1911.

She has a few things on her wish list, but the Bersa Thunder .380 is the only one with a metal frame. So...here's hoping that when (if) I get her to a range and shooting some other types/models/calibers that she'll find a steel framed semi that she can hold up and fire. Yes, she wants a semi that doesn't have a square slide...it needs to be rounded to be aesthetically pleasing. ( ???????????? )

Yes, Betty, I'd love to get her to fire a CZ compact. I think a steel framed 75c in 9x19 would be a perfect blend of weight and recoil. Hopefully the range will have some CZ-75 variant available. Of course, if she would try an XD9sc, that might do the trick, too.

I guess it just goes to show that every shooter has unique requirements...and some of them have nothing to do with function.

JS, here's hoping your trip is successful.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I would agree with some of the above in that a P-3AT is not for the recoil shy. It has some high recoil velocity "snap" to it.

In fact,I bought mine from a lady that got it as a present from her husband,and the recoil was more than she could manage.

A firearm,weather to be used for hunting or self defense,is the one thing that should be taken for a "test drive" before purchase.

Also,with a firearm for hunting or CC,there is a give and take. We all want the very most in power,but the very least in recoil. This will never be. The best we can do is a compromise.

This is why I tell some of the ladies that I train,"carry what you can shoot well,whatever that may be". Most will settle on a .32 and up. -------

Consider this:

Smith&Wesson 431PD(shown) or 432PD (DAO) 13.4oz.
    6 rounds of .32 H&R magnum with soft recoil and 38spl power (Much more powerful than .32ACP)

I took my GF to the range about 1 month ago. She had NEVER shot any type of firearm ever. We started with a .380 bersa semi, then 9mm Kahr, .40 Glock, then a .45 HK Usp. (all semi) She did not want to shoot the .40 or .45's but I requested that she shoot all of the guns to find which she shot the best, and knowing she would not choose the big bores, also mentioned that if she "Shot the largest pistols she would not be afraid of smaller size pistols" (which I knew she would choose). She reluctantly shot the .40 and .45.. not just once. She emptied the mag in each weapon. When we arrived at the shop to rent all these pistols i requested for everyone (myself, my brother, and her) a SEPERATE target for each pistol caliber so I could gauge what she shot the best from about 15-20ft. In the end she shot the 9mm more accurately than any other weapon. I did the best with the .40..... 2 weeks ago I bought a Glock27 .40, and I believe she is going to get the G26 9mm next week. She is about 5'4" tall, and weighs about 118lbs. She has never shot a revolver, but seems hell bent on a 9mm semi. Im still going to convince her to at LEAST shoot some revolvers prior to purchasing, because she DID stovepipe two of the rounds in the middle of the mag when she shot the 9mm. I believe if she still gets the semi, that she will get better with it in due time.

Good luck with whatever you and your wife choose.

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

What about an MK9?

It weighs about 23 oz (same as my S&W640). I don't really notice much difference in carrying the 640 than carrying my Taurus 85 Ultra light (12oz).

But the difference in recoil is substantial.

Shot placement is the most important element in stopping the threat IMO. But, I still would have to agree with the other members in that I would not carry less than a 9mm or .38 for a primary carry weapon.

The PM9 is a very light 9mm that is why it has such sharp recoil. Have her try a Glock 19. It is fairly easy to conceal and the recoil is not bad at all. If that is too big than try a Glock 26, smaller than the 19 but recoil is still not bad. It will definately be easier than the PM9 because it is a heavier weapon.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

We purchased an S&W 642 for her and returned it. The trigger pull was just too much for her to shoot accurately. In the end she went with a Glock 26 because of ease of operation. This is our first Glock and I have to say it’s the best shooting gun out of the box I have ever had. So far I am very impressed. I know Glock has great reputation. My wife is really enjoying the Glock as compared to the Kahr or S&W and she is shooting well with it at 15 yards putting 8 of 10 rounds in the black on a standard pistol target. She feels there is a big difference in recoil as compared to my Kahr. I have to say that I'm a little jealous of her new Glock.... is there such thing as gun envy? LoL.

J.S.

i'd have to say yes there is such thing.....everytime i hear someone on her got a new gun makes me wanna buy a new one!.....lol. like a kid in a candy shop when im at the gun shop

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    There IS such a thing as gun envy, no doubt.

My wife had problems with my 9mm P226 shooting Winchester White Box FMJ. She is a special case, reconstructive wrist surgery with pins and such several years ago.

She likes the look of the Walther .22, but due to the reliability problem I'm pushing for a revolver in .22 MAG or .32 H&R Mag.

This would mostly be a fun-gun, she doesn't see herself capable of shooting someone at this point. I'm werkin' on it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

erh

Lightbulb Naa G.380...

Quote Originally Posted by js
    any opinions on the NAA 380 guardian?
    I have a couple "One is a NIB "Full Custom" w/ night sights and everything else as well...
    I like them, but they are quite heavy for a small(ish) pistol...

Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links