Concealed weapon for a recoil sensitive person?

This is a discussion on Concealed weapon for a recoil sensitive person? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own and plan to carry a Kahr pm9. My wife who owns a 22 LR and she cannot handle the recoil of the Kahr ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed weapon for a recoil sensitive person?

Concealed weapon for a recoil sensitive person?

I own and plan to carry a Kahr pm9. My wife who owns a 22 LR and she cannot handle the recoil of the Kahr 9mm. She really wants something small and light but more than a 22. 380? 38?

js

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I'll suggest she try if possible a Bersa Thunder .380. My wife who finds a snubby rather hard going has done very well with my (now hers!) Thunder.

I have bought my step daughter the same gun and also got one organized for a lady friend of ours - and they all find recoil well manageable - whereas for now at least, 9mm seems a tad more than they want (I am working on it!).

I do think over time as technique and practice improve matters that a move up to a 9mm will be quite easy but - in the shorter term am more satisfied if they can handle well and shoot well the smaller cal.

Oh and - near forgot -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

There are enough 9mm loads out there you can find one for her to handle. I don't recommend anything less than 9mm/ 38Spl. I wouldn't carry anything less.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

thanks for the suggestion and the welcome. I am enjoying the site
    js

I don't carry anything less than a 38 and that's only for secondary use. BUT, if someone doesn't like the recoil of a 9 million meter, there's nothing wrong with down-sizing, caliber wise that is. I've heard nothing but good about Bersa 380s and with the right ammo, it's nothing to be sneezed at.

+1 to the Bersa. Though I like the Sig 232. The All black model has an alloy frame to make it quite lite.

Hi JS and welcome !
    Give some attention to the .32 magnum.

As my recent instructor said (and I love to keep quoting) if your weapon is at least a .380 or bigger, that should be enough.

You said your wife if recoil sensitive, is she weight sensitive too? And I do mean the weight of the weapon.

If not, find a heavy .38 or .357 magnum revolver and load it up with some light target loads in .38 special. Recoil should be almost nil then.

Light is nice, but too light, and recoil will be excessive. Stay away from Titanium guns. They will be too light and consequently, recoil will be too much.

Maybe a short barreled Ruger revolver in .38 Special or .357 magnum, with the afore mentioned light loads.

As far as size matters, I was told recently that no concealable handgun is going to be a one-shot stopper, unless you knock out the nervous system with your first shot.

FYI, between 1995 and 2004, 396 officers were killed with handguns. Of that number, 278 were killed with handguns ranging in caliber from .22 up to .357 magnum, including 9mm. Of all the handgun calibers, 9mm had the single largest number of kills at 116. The next largest was .38 caliber at 48 kills, followed by .40 caliber at 44, and .45 caliber with 43 kills.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2004/table34.htm
    Last edited by Al Lowe; July 26th, 2006 at 01:30 AM.

It is all about what the individual can shoot and carry comfortably....if they have a 9 and are frightened of the recoil---then they will hesitate to practice regularly with it---I have said it before and will say it again, "Practice = Performance"

Good suggestions would be:

bersa .380
    walther .380
    Taurus .32 or .380 DAO

A side note that proper loads in a quality 9mm should not seem overbearing to novice shooter. A Kahr K9 or even P9 will add slightly larger weight and size that will soak up much of the recoil (as compared to the formentioned pm9). Good luck and safe shooting!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

any opinions on the NAA 380 guardian?

Heavy gun with light loaded ammo

Felt recoil is simply the momentum of the gun pushing your hand back after firing. The momentum of the bullet leaving the muzzle (bullet mass times bullet velocity) roughly equals the momentum of the gun in your hand (gun mass times gun velocity). In order to decrease the gun velocity, use a heavier gun and lighter ammunition.

If you are recommending handguns and ammo to a recoil sensitive person, you might start with an all steel .38 special loaded with standard pressure hollowpoint ammunition (no plus P's). A S&W model 19, 65 or 66 with barrel in the 2.5 to 4.0 inch range will weigh about 32 to 34 ounces and will not recoil very much with this type of ammo. Rubber grips also help in softening the recoil.

Yesterday the wife and I were at the range. She was shooting her Taurus 85 ultra lite (38 2 inch) and I had my KEL-TEC (380) P3-AT. I got her to try my P3-AT and she liked it. Thought that it had less "felt" recoil than her Taurus. She decided she would like to carry it because of recoil, size and weight.

Now the PROBLEM: After a couple of rounds she started "limp wristing" the P3-AT. Needless to say, it starting stove piping and jamming. Once she corrected the limp wrist she had no problem. I have about 450 rounds through the pistol and NEVER had a problem. So I would say it was her initial fear of the pistol being so small.

If your wife is recoil sensitive be careful; giving her a small pistol versus a revolver, due the problems that might arise. I'm going to make sure my wife has more range time with the KEL-TEC before I give it to her carry. PRACTICE PRACTICE
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Administrator

Post One Suggestion:

Remember that the smaller and more compact the .380 pistol - the greater the felt recoil is going to be for her.
    A TINY .380 is going to have about the same felt recoil as a larger .9mm but, with less pistol to hold on to.

One pistol that you should absolutely take a look at for her would be the Beretta Cheeta in .380 -
    It's a medium sized frame that should nearly perfect for her to carry.

It's extremely reliable (fits the female hand Real Nice) and is very accurate & yet not super compact.

Depending on her hand size she can go with either the 84FS or the 85FS one has a staggered 13 round magazine and the other one has a straight line 8 round magazine.

She should try them both out & see which one feels best to her. You'll probably need to find a large gun store in your area that carries both.

Here are the "specs" on it.

Cheetahs with the Bite of a Lion.
    These medium frame pistols deliver .380 (9mm short) and .32 ACP (7.65 mm) power in a personal-size package and maintain the reliability, safety and performance features of Beretta’s legendary 92FS.

The Cheetah pistols feature an open slide design that increases the reliability of the firearm. The frame is made from an aluminum alloy that delivers the strength and durability of steel – but with 65% less weight.

The automatic firing pin block (FS models) prevents the gun from firing in case of inadvertent drops or strikes against hard surfaces.
    Features such as these, and the built-in reliability and quality, make the Cheetah a natural for personal defense and an ideal back-up pistol for law enforcement professionals.

1) Barrel. High-strength nickel-chromium-molybdenum steel with hard chromed bore for longer life.

2) Open Slide Design. Open top slide virtually eliminates jamming and stovepiping.

3) Firing Pin Block.

4) Sights. Fast, sure target acquisition from standard 3-dot system. Notched rear sight is dovetailed to slide. Blade front sight is integral with slide.

5) Ambidextrous Safety. Easily accessible by the thumb for right or left handed shooters.

6) Reversible Magazine Release. Button to accommodate right or left handed shooters.

7) Durable Frame. An anodized alloy offers superior corrosion resistance. Matte black finish is non-reflective.

8) Combat-Style Trigger Guard. Provides support for a two hand grip and offers an enlarged opening for easy access with gloves.

9) Double Action Trigger. The first round is full double-action mode, and the second and all subsequent rounds are fired single-action.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    With respect I say,most ladies don't want things to be overly complecated. My wife hates switches,and gizmo's. The women that come thru my class are for the most part the same. Slide releases,decockers,thumb safetys,mag releases,bbl tilt up releases(small Beretta's)and the like,are very confuseing to them. My wife will only hunt with a single shot rifle.

With this I would suggest a "J" frame Smith(or the like). Would add, a Ti version, but you mentioned recoil. Remember,you can't have max power and min recoil. You gotta end up somewhere in between.

Maybe a "J" frame in .32H&R Mag. If .38 Spec., then reduced(NON +P) loads. My wife has a .32 and will shoot it all day at the range. Taurus also makes one.

That said,would highly reccommend a small revo. Pls let us know what she settles on. -------

I had the same problem with my fiance, so I had her try a S&W airweight loaded with .38 special. The thing I realized about revolvers especially small ones are the grip are usually much thinner than a typical doublestack semi. When these thin grips hit the palm of your hand, it can be slight uncomfortable. Also, the smaller/lighter a gun is, the more it will recoil, period. I would personally stay away from revolvers because anything large enought to be comfortable will probably be too large to conceal. I would probably go with something that is a 9mm (I peronally don't carry anything chambered in less than 9mm), but large enough to get a fairly good grip on. I would suggest these:

-Glock 19, 26
    -H&K USP Compact 9mm
    -Kimber Pro Carry II 9mm
    -Springfield XD Sub compact 9mm (it comes with a full size grip extension)

Also, Kimber is now making a Ultra sized 9mm called the Aegis II. I haven't heard much about it, but I may be getting one for my fiance to replace the H&K USPc that I gave her. Here's the website: http://www.kimberamerica.com/press/2...mm-aegis-2.php

Happy Hunting, and I know how important it is to know that your significant other is safe even at those rare moments when you can't be there, so best of luck!
    Last edited by GlockinItUp; July 26th, 2006 at 05:31 PM.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links