Got to shoot the 'new' P229 at the range today...

This is a discussion on Got to shoot the 'new' P229 at the range today... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; JIC everybody isn't up to speed on what's been happening at Sig: A short time back, Sig introduced an E2 version of their P229/6 series ...

Thread: Got to shoot the 'new' P229 at the range today...

Senior Moderator

Got to shoot the 'new' P229 at the range today...

JIC everybody isn't up to speed on what's been happening at Sig: A short time back, Sig introduced an E2 version of their P229/6 series pistols. Distinguishing features are a short trigger, a short reset trigger, an enhanced grip (read smaller and shorter reach to the trigger), a slimmer slide with a long external extractor (don't know why all guns don't have long extractors), and a slightly new frame.

Other than the ergonomic grip, the most significant change to the 9mm frame was to use the P229 40 cal frame. The difference in the prior 9mm P229 frame and the P229 .40/.357 P229 is the width of the magazine channel. The .40/.357 frame has a wider magazine channel starting just below the magazine catch. Hence a .40/.357 mag would not fit a 9mm frame, however, a 9mm mag would fit a .40/.357 frame but would be loose below the mag catch. I haven’t tried the straight walled 9mm mag in my E2, other than to confirm it fits, but I have been told that the older style mags will function in the newer frame. I would not trust that for SD.

Now all frames are the same and because the 9mm mag channel is wider, and it uses the .40/.357 style mag, you can get two more 9mm rounds in the mag, bringing the mag capacity up to 15 rounds. For whatever it’s worth, that brings the compact P229 capacity up to par with the G19 and some of the other compact size guns.

My friend at Shooter’s Depot that was kind enough to let me shoot his new P229, “Shoot it all you want.”, was his words, said his grips were Hogues. I don’t know if that’s what came on it, or he put them on it, but it felt really good. The true E2 grip feels just a bit small to me, and I notice that because my hand wraps on the grip a bit differently, I tend to pull the gun to the left just a bit if I don’t watch what I’m doing.

The gun had the short trigger, but not the SRT setup. I generally don’t like the short trigger, but didn’t notice it so much in this gun. In consideration of the generous offer, I only shot the gun 5 times. The first two shots (3 yards) was one hole, the same hole, not touching or cloverleafs, etc. – just one indistinguishable hole. The next three widened out the hole a bit, but was still just one bigger hole, so the gun appears to be very accurate. On to the trigger.

I only shot the P229 in the SA mode since I only intended to shoot 5 shots through it. It had about the worst SA trigger I’ve ever shot. It was obvious from the first shot. The pull weight was fine; the creep was simply awful as was the pull to break distance. On the first shot, I actually paused and reset the hammer, because I thought something wasn’t right. I remember thinking, when is this thing going to break! I could actually feel the trigger travel – not like my expectation of a SA Sig trigger at all. What I felt was a drag akin to pulling something across 320 grit sand paper. I hope that’s not the norm! I suspect the creep will smooth out some with just shooting it, but the length is not going to get shorter.

Other than the trigger feel and pull length, I really, really like the new ‘classic’ Sig. IMO, this is Sig’s best work yet in the classic line. The grip will be more compatible with more people and the short trigger will help shooters with shorter reach. I didn’t weigh the P229, but I have weighed my E2 which is essentially the same gun, and it weighs 1 oz less than the prior classic format. Not much, but some help, and with the additional two rounds in the mag, it still shouldn’t be as heavy as the 13 round prior classic.

The slide is narrower. It will fit in a P226 holster although the P226 holster would be a bit longer than necessary, but still that’s a good thing – one holster for two guns.

The sights are a bit different too. Instead of the dot and post that P226/9s used to come with, they now have a three dot set up – a step backwards if you ask me, but that’s the way it is nonetheless. The rear sight is now ‘protected’, i.e. it has sides that extend upward beyond the top of the rear sight, I presume to protect the sight. Not sure what it’s being protected from however. I do not like that feature; it reminds me of the G34/35 rear sights – I don’t like them either – at all – they’re confusing, at least to me anyway, but then what would I know, I only shoot about 1000 rounds a month. Hmmm, and I’m behind this month due to closing out the semester at school, but school is over for the summer so guess where I’m going shortly?

I like the ‘new’ classic format – a lot! But honestly, the SA trigger would keep me from buying (or trading) for one – it’s just sub-par. However, if I had a chance to shoot, or even handle a DAK model and it was typical, the SA trigger wouldn’t be an issue; I’d take the DAK over the DA/SA without a second thought! Hmmm, in fact, why don’t I see if Sig has a conversion kit for the E2 to convert it to a DAK. I doubt it though for two reasons, one, the E2 was a transient/transition gun and two, the E2 and the new classic requires a different hammer strut design and I haven’t seen a kit for the DAK system yet.

Good job Sig! Well except for the SA trigger and the three dot sight system! If they fix that, that would give a whole new meaning to ‘Glock Perfection’.

Tangle
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Interesting and thorough review.
    Do you have any thoughts as to why the SA trigger pull is so inferior to earlier 'Classics'?
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Interesting and thorough review.
    Do you have any thoughts as to why the SA trigger pull is so inferior to earlier 'Classics'?
    No, I really don't know how that could be. I'm hoping it's just this one gun. I'm not aware of any trigger configuration changes that would cause what I experienced. Other than a redesigned hammer strut and the SRT, I'm not aware of any trigger group changes and this gun didn't have the SRT. Puzzling.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Good review. Thanks for sharing
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Links