Joining the 1911 club!

This is a discussion on Joining the 1911 club! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't knock those Classics I have heard some good things about them from some of my buddies down at the range. For a budget 1911, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Joining the 1911 club!

VIP Member
    Don't knock those Classics I have heard some good things about them from some of my buddies down at the range. For a budget 1911, its going to be a good shooter for you. Welcome to the 1911 club. You will now see what all the fuss is about. Note even the Dos Equis guy carries one!

smolck, tmoore912 and OD* like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats. I hope you have a blast with it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Congrats on the new addition and welcome to the 1911 club

I've had very good luck with my 1911's from the Philipines. Mine are Rock Islands, but I've heard positive things about the American Classics as well.

Please give us a range report when you get the chance.

Glad I could help take that CZ off your hands and fund your new 1911, You will enjoy it!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Hope to get a range session in Sunday (assuming I get it off layaway by then). Will be sure to report back. Thanks, the 1911 community seems large and friendly, I feel honored to join.

OD*
    Congratulations.

Welcome to the 1911 club.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Cheers sir, welcome to the brotherhood of 1911's! Enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    Enjoy the purchase. I am still on the 1911 fence. The cocked hammer scares me. The gun hand feel is great. Someday.
    I've carried my RIA compact for 2 years in condition 1 (cocked and locked) with no worries. You will trust it after a while.

Congrats to SMOLCK on your 1911, but be careful, these things tend to multiply
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Enjoy.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Well, I picked it up last night. Unfortunately I won't make it to the range today. Maybe tomorrow. Everything is great except it won't feed the first hollow point (common complaint) but I can hand cycle the rest of the mag and they all load and eject fine. I am planning to polish the feed ramp and install and extended mag catch (supposedly that helps). Then break it in real good. I have been carrying it cocked and locked with one in the pipe and have had no issues feeling "weird". Heck, it has more safety's than any gun I have owned to date (last 3 had NO safety's of any kind) so I figure it is safe.

I plan on adding a Kimber ultra carry one day, but for now I will enjoy this one. Wife says I can't buy anymore guns this calendar year so I guess I'll just have to customize this one!

And for those looking for a good 1911, so far I am happy with the fit and finish. Feels solid, carries well too. Even though the 1911 is "bigger" than any gun Ive carried to date, the slim nature of it makes this the most "comfortable" piece of steel I have carried. And I feel extra manly carrying it with 230gr +P ammo (a full 106gr more than my 9mm bullets). I compared the .45 bullet to my 9mm bullets and thought, yea, this is better!

Don't hesitate to buy one of these, they are inexpensive from a price perspective, but far from cheap.

Sweeeet!
    Weteva* Works!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Well, I picked it up last night. Unfortunately I won't make it to the range today. Maybe tomorrow. Everything is great except it won't feed the first hollow point (common complaint) but I can hand cycle the rest of the mag and they all load and eject fine. I am planning to polish the feed ramp and install and extended mag catch (supposedly that helps). Then break it in real good. I have been carrying it cocked and locked with one in the pipe and have had no issues feeling "weird". Heck, it has more safety's than any gun I have owned to date (last 3 had NO safety's of any kind) so I figure it is safe.

I plan on adding a Kimber ultra carry one day, but for now I will enjoy this one. Wife says I can't buy anymore guns this calendar year so I guess I'll just have to customize this one!

And for those looking for a good 1911, so far I am happy with the fit and finish. Feels solid, carries well too. Even though the 1911 is "bigger" than any gun Ive carried to date, the slim nature of it makes this the most "comfortable" piece of steel I have carried. And I feel extra manly carrying it with 230gr +P ammo (a full 106gr more than my 9mm bullets). I compared the .45 bullet to my 9mm bullets and thought, yea, this is better!

Don't hesitate to buy one of these, they are inexpensive from a price perspective, but far from cheap.
    What HP's are you using? Gold Dots tend to be stinkers for some 1911's. Try a HP the is shaped more like a ball bullet. Golden Sabre, Critical Defense, etc...

Luckely my Colt Rail Gun will eat all the HP's I have tried. I never noticed this as I was shooting ball ammo and Critical Defense. Then once I got it back from Colt (They did some custom work for me) I tried some Gold Dots. They worked great.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Welcome to 1911, that's a very nice looking sidearm. Break it in well and afterwards you can have it tuned to your likeing. Congrads.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    What HP's are you using? Gold Dots tend to be stinkers for some 1911's. Try a HP the is shaped more like a ball bullet. Golden Sabre, Critical Defense, etc...

Luckely my Colt Rail Gun will eat all the HP's I have tried. I never noticed this as I was shooting ball ammo and Critical Defense. Then once I got it back from Colt (They did some custom work for me) I tried some Gold Dots. They worked great.
    Academy didn't have Critical Defense (which is what I waned) so I got the TAP FPD instead. Feeds 6 rounds in the magazine flawless. If you have 7 it will sometimes jam, sometimes not. I actually saw Federal makes an expanding full metal jacket (EFMJ) and I will be trying those soon too. I prefer ball ammo types anyways. It is, after all, what a 1911 was designed for. But I am glad to hear the Critical Defense works well too. Why does Hornady not make a 230gr version?

Congrats and welcome to the club....shoot it in good health!
    Libertas Vel Mors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links