Joining the 1911 club!

This is a discussion on Joining the 1911 club! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just put my new 1911 commander on layaway. Should be able to pick it up Friday. The LGS I am buying it from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Joining the 1911 club!

Joining the 1911 club!

So I just put my new 1911 commander on layaway. Should be able to pick it up Friday. The LGS I am buying it from are no good swindlers and will never get my business again, but they are the only place that had the one I wanted (and could afford).

It is an American Classic 2 Commander Model in Hard Chrome. It will become my new carry weapon and I am looking forward to it.

Yea, I know, I know, it is a cheap POS from the Philipines but it was the only one in my price range I liked (didn't care for the looks of the RIA or Citadel) and the finish on this one is REALLY nice!

So we'll see. Ultimately I still have my Dan Wesson fund running, but until then, this will have to do.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Don't knock 1911s from the Philippines. They make some good guns over there.

Heck, I still find myself carrying my RIA more than any other gun.

Anyway, congrats on the new addition! I like those American Classics. I'm pretty tempted to get one just like yours, though I'd likely change out a few things, like the extended slide stop and that crazy looking hammer. Other than that, it looks good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Don't knock 1911s from the Philippines. They make some good guns over there.

Heck, I still find myself carrying my RIA more than any other gun.

Anyway, congrats on the new addition! I like those American Classics. I'm pretty tempted to get one just like yours, though I'd likely change out a few things, like the extended slide stop and that crazy looking hammer. Other than that, it looks good to go!
    I hope mine proves as reliable. It is my only gun and full time carry weapon. Yea, I was told they added the stupid criss cross thing in the hammer to avoid legal issues in copying other people. Either way, that crap is coming out as soon as it gets home. Dremel time!

Also ordering some new grips. The gun feels top notch to me, but the grips are kinda crappy IMO.

GM
    Looks good! Congrats and enjoy yours first 1911
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Congrats. I'm very fond of my cheap Philippine 1911. It runs every bit as good as a Springer that cost twice as much.

Administrator
    The shooters that have been buying them are reporting that they are functioning just fine right out of the box.
    They do sport a forged slide & barrel. That's a plus.
    The few on-line reviews I've read have all been positive with regard to functional reliability and accuracy.
    It also actually comes factory furnished with a very good quality magazne. I think (not sure) that it's an ACT mag....if I remember correctly.
    The sights are fine.
    The hammer is totally fonkey looking but, if everything else is OK then it can be easily lived with.
    That particular slide stop I could live without & I'd switch it out for an Ed Brown & the second thing I would do would be to hack the extension off the thumb safety but, that is just me and my personal quirk - I hate the extended thumb safeties.
    Congrats. Shoot it in good health.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun, and welcome to the world of the 1911.
    AZDaven likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Looks good to me. I do like the looks better than the RIA, I don't know if it IS better, but it looks sexier anyway.

Congrats on new 1911.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Congrats! Wish I had one
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Enjoy the purchase. I am still on the 1911 fence. The cocked hammer scares me. The gun hand feel is great. Someday.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    Enjoy the purchase. I am still on the 1911 fence. The cocked hammer scares me. The gun hand feel is great. Someday.
    The best way to get over that is to carry and handle an EMPTY 1911 in Condition 1 for a few days/weeks/whatever. When you realize that it still hasn't "gone off", you should no longer have any concerns about carrying it exactly the same, except with a round in the chamber.

Welcome to the 1911 club. Nice purchase.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    Used to me too. Might want a to try the CZ p01 like I did. It has a hammer and is carried "half cocked" and got me comfortable carrying that way. But trust me, this 1911 isn't going off unless you mean it. Thumb safety and grip safety = no AD.

Thanks to all who commented. I will keep you all updated as I shoot it and customize it. Thanks QKShooter for the slide change idea, I think I will do that, but grips first.

Congrats on a great looking 1911...enjoy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links