New Grips Don't Fit Properly

This is a discussion on New Grips Don't Fit Properly within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok......I need some knowledgable help here. I recently bought a S&W 65-5 that came with a set of Hogue Rubber Finger Groove grips. I prefer ...

Thread: New Grips Don't Fit Properly

Angry New Grips Don't Fit Properly

Ok......I need some knowledgable help here. I recently bought a S&W 65-5 that came with a set of Hogue Rubber Finger Groove grips. I prefer a nice set of wood grips on such a bueatiful gun, so I went to one of my local gunstores known to keep a large selection of grips and some nice wood grips as well. I found a pair that are marked for a K frame S&W for $30.00 in a generic bag with the label in it. I put them on and they fit almost perfectly....almost!! When the grip is fully seated, the top of the back is still sticking out past the frame about 3/32" and there is a small gap between the back of the trigger guard and the front of the grip where it should be making contact. I guess my question is.....do wood grips need to be fitted to the gun. I would think not but these are my first aftermarket wood grips I have ever purchased. I usually go for the rubber.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

2. Remove Ads

I have often had to do very minor fitting when putting wood grips on a S&W. Sometimes it's just opening the pin (locating) hole slightly in the back of one grip so it will tilt a little differently. The grip often sits over a screw head in the frame or something and the back of the grip needs relieved.
    All the things I've done have been with the back side of the grip panel, as I didn't want to get into the finish on the wood.
    Again, I've only done very minor fitting -- but always had good luck.

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like quite a discrepancy, particularly top of backstrap area as described.

I have made grips and ''tweaked'' one or two slightly but this seems a lot to have to modify. Careful wood removal is not too tricky but the problem usually comes when trying to match the finish. Not really sure what to suggest without seeing them.

The 65-5 is I think without checking a round butt - previous dash #'s being square butt.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Tex, open the grips up and lay the frame in one grip-panel, and check where the wood is "pressing" the frame up/back. Scribe with a sharp pencil, and carefully Dremel, or use an Xacto knife. Repeat on opposite side.

As long as you have wood to work with, you could take out a shade more than you have to, and "bed" it, if you have some Acraglass around.

Well I decided to keep these gorgeous grips and gently modify them to fit. I like the way they turned out.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

VIP Member
    They're nice!

I think you got a fair deal.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links