Break-in of Kahr CW9 Range Report w/ Pictures & Accuracy Qs

This is a discussion on Break-in of Kahr CW9 Range Report w/ Pictures & Accuracy Qs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well yesterday I went down to my range and went through roughly 300 rounds to loosen up the new Kahr CW9. My range adventure started ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Break-in of Kahr CW9 Range Report w/ Pictures & Accuracy Qs

Break-in of Kahr CW9 Range Report w/ Pictures & Accuracy Qs

Well yesterday I went down to my range and went through roughly 300 rounds to loosen up the new Kahr CW9. My range adventure started at the Walmart where my new friend Joe and I had a good conversation about guns. I picked up 300 rounds of Federal 115g FMJ's. I also got some CLP and Hoppes #9.

I got to the range and they set me up in the back corner, cool. As probably some of you others here, I am a broke college student and decided to print my own targets from home that I found online. Anyways got the target hung and sent it down to 20ft. The sticky over at KahrTalk recommends to not worry about accuracy until a good 200 rounds. So I started firing away. Everything went well through the first magazine, second magazine, and so on. Whew! I had some fears since I have read a number of posts about peoples new CW9s not feeding properly.

Here is the first target that was 0-50 round count:

Opened up a new box and kept going. The pistol felt great in my hand and was surprised on the lack of recoil. I expected a little more from such a small and light gun.

Im not sure where the target for 50-100 rounds went but here is 100-125:

Looks alright I guess for a novice left handed shooter during the break in period. my point of aim was always dead center if it means anything. I felt good with the gun. It felt good in my hand, seems very accurate, and didnt have one malfunction. At about 200 rounds I decided to try and get some better grouping, slow my breath, work on trigger control, basically go slower. To be honest I have never really tried to see how accurate I could be. I have always gone to the range with my girlfriend or other friends and ended up being the safety teacher then the actual shooter. I began to get frustrated with my grouping. I printed some "cheat sheet" targets that have what you are doing wrong on them. Heres around 250 rounds through the gun and my accuracy from ~25ft.

It seems going low right was a big problem for me. At that point the CW9 was hot and I decided to break out my FNP9 to see if I could do any better with a full size pistol.

Nope. Still have a good amount that managed to get low right on the paper. The more I thought about not have a tighter group the more frustrated I got. At this point the range got pretty crowded and I had a new group out people next to me who thought the range was a playground. I decided to put a new target down range and do 14 shots slooooooowly. I think I might rush myself and that could attribute to my lack of skills. Who knows. Heres the result of slow meticulous shooting:

Better I guess. Lastly I decided to cycle my Gold Speer Dots 124g +P Short Barrel JHPs to make sure they functioned. I lost one of the targets but here is a 5-shot group for the Speer Dots:

Id say it was the best group of the day. Maybe the Federal ammo is just not very accurate. Hopefully some of you guys can chime in on it. All-in-all it was a good day. Im very impressed with the CW9. I forget to add I did cycle some WWB 115 FMJ through without issues as well. Only complaint I have is the cheese grater style grip on the rear of the pistol. At the very end of the day my hand was raw and it still is a bit tender this morning.

2. Remove Ads

Your targets aren't bad for you first turn with the Kahr and fatigue will impact your accuracy after a couple of boxes. My experience with the CW9 was that it took a few range trips to really get used to the small size and long trigger pull. For me it wasn't how many rounds at a time, but the number of trips to the range (with a little dry firing in between). It is amazing how much more accurately I shoot it now than my first couple of range trips. I had on FTF early on, but nothing for the last several hundred rounds (all 124 gr JHP and FMJ).

Range time, range time, range time....
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I'm very new to firearms and the CW9 was on my list for EDC (still waffling). I'd say you did well for the first trip with the CW9. I imagine you will enjoy the gun and have a lot of fun.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog22 View Post
    It seems going low right was a big problem for me.
    For left-handed people low-right is a symptom of recoil anticipation (right-handed people go low-left). Get some snap caps and have a buddy load one or two per magazine at random. If you're anticipating the recoil, you'll see your muzzle dip when the pistol goes click instead of bang. It's pretty common, especially with small, light-weight pistols that are kind of "snappy." You'll see this a lot with snubby revolvers, too. I think it was Rob Pincus on an episode of The Gunfighter Cast podcast that discussed a drill that you can do to get over recoil anticipation.

Follow these steps slowly.
    1. Press the trigger slightly to the rear but DON'T LET THE GUN FIRE.
    2. Press the trigger slightly more to the rear but DON'T LET THE GUN FIRE.
    3. Repeat step 2.

Eventually, the gun will go bang without you anticipating the recoil and the shot should be pretty close to dead on. Keep doing that drill speeding up as you get comfortable until you can do the same thing quickly. If you start hitting low-right as you speed up, start over.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    For left-handed people low-right is a symptom of recoil anticipation (right-handed people go low-left). Get some snap caps and have a buddy load one or two per magazine at random. If you're anticipating the recoil, you'll see your muzzle dip when the pistol goes click instead of bang. It's pretty common, especially with small, light-weight pistols that are kind of "snappy." You'll see this a lot with snubby revolvers, too. I think it was Rob Pincus on an episode of The Gunfighter Cast podcast that discussed a drill that you can do to get over recoil anticipation.

Follow these steps slowly.
    1. Press the trigger slightly to the rear but DON'T LET THE GUN FIRE.
    2. Press the trigger slightly more to the rear but DON'T LET THE GUN FIRE.
    3. Repeat step 2.

Eventually, the gun will go bang without you anticipating the recoil. Keep doing that drill speeding up as you get comfortable until you can do the same thing quickly. If you start hitting low-right as you speed up, start over.
    Thanks! I do need to get some snap caps to practice with. I assumed it was recoil anticipation because at some points I could feel myself flinch a tad as I took up the slack in the long trigger pull.

Very nice report! I really like the Kahr guns. The P and CW series are about the perfect CC guns. I've had a P9 and P40, and they performed very well. Make sure to inspect your mags every once in a while, and clean them too. The mags are usually the culprit if you have feeding issues. Replace them if you find damage.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Good advice gruntingfrog!

Great report! Welcome to the forum and you have chosen an outstanding carry pistol in the Kahr CW9. I love mine. I have down loaded the same Lee left handed target to help improving my shooting. Grip and trigger control are the key. I am still working on my technique. With more than 900 rounds down range I can become frustrated that I am not able to shoot groups with the CW9 that match groups with my Browning Hi-Power or my XD pistols.

Remember the CW9 is a reliable, compact, accurate, light carry pistol! I have that thing on me when the other pistols are to heavy or bulky to conceal! It will do the job at 3 to 7 yards. 15 to 30 yards Maybe not but I am still working to shoot more accurately a decent group at 60 feet.

This post is also on Kahr Talk.

Keep up the good work!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for the report, sounds like fun!

I'm trying to decide a purchase between the CW9, PM9, PF9 and Walther P99c!.......but the CW9 is at the top of this short list!
    Other people have said the CW9 has less recoil than most which is a good thing!........... I think I know what I'm gonna do!
    Thanks!

For what it is worth, 300 rounds is a pretty extended range session. I usually find that for serious shooting, under 1 hour, and under 100 rounds are ideal for me. It's not the quantity of rounds, but the quality of the shots you make that makes a training session worthwhile. Now, if we are talking plinking, busting clays for fun, or full auto's, I will shoot more.

Overall it doesn't look too bad for a trip out with a new gun though.
    Old School likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Get a bicycle inner tube and cut a sleeve for the grip. Wipe the tube grip with some clp and rub that off really well. That grip is perfect! If the sleeve moves around, get a smaller tube. You'll be amazed how good this works and it will help with the way the recoil feels. Great report!
    Gideon

jyo
    I also really like my CW9s (two, one of me, one for wife)---put around 150 rounds thru it today---ran 100%. Regarding the harsh grip---I dislike the slip over rubber covers so I just took a nail file to the sharp edges for a few minutes---problem solved and the grip doesn't look any different.

GM
    Nice firearm! Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

#600 sandpaper on the rear of the grip, will take the bite out of it. Good range report. Good shooting for a 300 round day. I usually stay within 100 rounds, 1 hour.
    Roger

Links