Got to shoot a Kimber Ultra Carry at the range - WOW...

This is a discussion on Got to shoot a Kimber Ultra Carry at the range - WOW... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the indoor range shooting my P250 FS in booth number 5, when heard my name called. It was a guy I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Got to shoot a Kimber Ultra Carry at the range - WOW...

Senior Moderator

I was at the indoor range shooting my P250 FS in booth number 5, when heard my name called. It was a guy I had met, almost in passing, at the range the day before. He placed a Kimber Ultra Carry (I believe that's what it was; I was so eager to shoot it, I didn't take much time for details) on my bench and handed me a full mag of 45s. Well, you don't have to hit me in the head with a 2x4 to get me shooting - soooo....

I inserted the mag, racked the slide and took aim on a three inch orange dot at 7 yards. I really liked the feel and balance of the gun; it was very comfortable in the hand, but the important stuff is still to come. So I aim and start increasing pressure on the trigger. The gun recoils, and a .45 hole appears just off center of the orange target. The trigger was just there and then it was gone! No creep, drag, or percieved travel - just a pressure/force fired shot. One of the nicest SA triggers I've shot. It was just a touch on the heavy side, but I consider it the perfect weight and break for a SD gun.

I also noticed, or more accurately - failed to notice, the expected harsh recoil of a 230 gn .45 in a small 1911 platform, especially after I had been shooting 124 gn 9mm.

I think it was six shots later there was a nice grouping on the target. Then, of course the fight began with him wanting the gun back and me of another mindset.

I have to say, I was very impressed with this gun. I know little about the Kimber Ultra Carry except that it is a very compact, light-weight (28 oz as I recall) with an excellent trigger and for me perfect blade and notch sights. I think the mag holds 7 rounds but it may just be 6.

Well, now what to do? Benton's has a Kimber Ultra Carry for $719. I haven't been to Benton's in a while, it's a beautiful 30 minute drive - OH BOY! Family outing!

I'll loose my shirt in the deal, but I need to trade a gun anyway; that would help a little. Wait a minute - am I seriously contemplating buying a Kimber Ultra Carry? A low capacity 1911? Anybody with any sense reading this? You gonna help me out here or not?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

JD
    Administrator
    It's your money, but I'd look at something else.

VIP Member
    You wont be one of the cool kids anymore if you get a Kimber. I say go for it!

Thumbs up Kimber

I have the Ultra Raptor II and it has been been one heck of a dependable and accurate handgun.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    U.S. Army Veteran

TVJ
    Buy it.

You like it that much.

You have immediate confidence in it.

You have strong positive psychology with it.

Enjoy.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Well I have a Kimberly ultra cdp and love it. They are great guns and fun to shoot. Just break it in with 3-400+ rounds of 230 grain ball ammo and all will be good. Wish I had the raptor ultra as well. Sweet!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I have one it's a very good big bang in a little package. As long as you get good mags for it with good strong springs like the Kimber Tac mags or replace the springs in the wilsons with stronger ones if have or get those you be fine. Mine is also very accurate for me. It's pretty much POA for me 10 yards and under. I carry Ranger T +P 230(which is my favorite for it) in it and Federal HST's. I also carry a couple mags with it and feel very confident for most any social occasion.

You will hear "Internet Operators" talk about reliability, capacity, and the magical spell Kimber casts over their owners to buy their terrible guns that works so good they are probably selling the most 1911..lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Looks nice, but I am looking at a bobbed 4.25" Commander as being the best for my shooting & concealing 1911 needs. To each his own.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Too many reports of issues with Kimber's guns and their customer service for me to risk my money on one...but it's your money.

Are you ok with having a thumb safety? Are you ok with a 500 round break-in period? $$$$

I'm not into trigger feel or ergonomics. I'm into reliability and simplicity (both mechanical and from a manual-of-arms perspective). All my guns are DAO, point and shoot.

Whatever floats your boat, but that's a big boat of money to spend for a nice trigger.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have winter carried an Ultra for several years and never a hick-up. I have shot everything through it at the range inclucding cast bullets, handloads and several brands of JHP. I have Colt, Kimber, Wilson and no name mags for it and they all work. I carry Colt mags every day because they are re-springed to hold 7. I have 2 other friends who carry same and have same results I have. Guns are like trucks, I own a Chev, Dodge, and Ford right now and like them all for the job they were purchased for. For EDC I drive the Chevy as it fits my needs and my butt fits the seat.

I hear folks bashing Kimber and it just rolls off. I have several other 1911's and they all go bang when the switch is pulled, but I carry the Kimber.
    pistola likes this.

Administrator
    Some of my very favorite carry guns of all time was a Springfield micro and a Kimber Pro CPD. Situations beyond my control don't allow me to carry them anymore. They are hard not to like.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nothing wrong with Kimber. My TLE II has been flawless going on four years now...eats everything I feed it. My father-in-law bought a Stainless Compact last year and it has also performed without a hiccup (hope to inherit that one someday.) I hope to eventually own 1911s by Colt and Springfield...but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kimber. Don't believe all the hype and nay-sayers on this forum or any other. (You can find someone to say something bad about anything if you look hard enough!)

If you enjoyed shooting the pistol, chances are you will love owning one...go for it!
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger1911 View Post
    Don't believe all the hype and nay-sayers on this forum or any other. (You can find someone to say something bad about anything if you look hard enough!)
    I wouldn't go so far as to say "don't believe" and you don't have to look very hard to find the problem guns. As I've said before, the number of happy customers is larger than the number of unhappy customers and that's all well and good....unless you're one holding the lemon.

I've had four and that was enough.

los
    I carried an original [1st gen] Ultra Carry for a few years. It served me very well during it's tenure as my primary CCW.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Sounds like Tangle is going to be a new MIMBER MEMBER! Just reMIMBER we told you so!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links