ATTN: SP101 Club: DAO or keep the hammer...that is the question

This is a discussion on ATTN: SP101 Club: DAO or keep the hammer...that is the question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice pics, willieboy. Hopefully, my SP101 will look like yours when it gets back from Gemini Customs. By the way, I have two "WWP" t- ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: ATTN: SP101 Club: DAO or keep the hammer...that is the question

Nice pics, willieboy. Hopefully, my SP101 will look like yours when it gets back from Gemini Customs. By the way, I have two "WWP" t- shirts I got at our local Cracker Barrel. I don't know what % goes to the Wounded Warrior Project, but I hope it is a goodly amount. God Bless.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Nice pics, willieboy. Hopefully, my SP101 will look like yours when it gets back from Gemini Customs. By the way, I have two "WWP" t- shirts I got at our local Cracker Barrel. I don't know what % goes to the Wounded Warrior Project, but I hope it is a goodly amount. God Bless.
    Thanks Philly Boy. If I can drift from the thread's topic for a short story, you might enjoy it. I started putting up the WWP logo as an avatar in an efffort to raise awareness of the organization. Lo and behold, one of our guys in IRAQ went to the forum, saw my avatar, and sent me an email. He thanked me for the support and said the Wounder Warrior Project was the "real Deal." He said whenever our guys need anything in the sandbox, the WWP is there to provide it. Made me feel good to know my modest contributions were doing some good. Our guys/gals need all the support we can give them.

God bless you too buddy.

Great post. By the way, is that South Texas in N.J. or South Texas and N.J.? Used to swim at Cape May, N.J. as a kid--- loved it!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Hah! It's South Texas and NJ. I live in Texas after being evicted from Chicago before coming here. The NJ connection is that I was conceived at Fort Dix in NJ during WW2.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I don't have a Ruger but have two S&W J-frames.
    I prefer the option of a hammer, even if shrouded, and drawing one from my pocket has never been a problem.

One of the reasons that I went with a .357 is for the versatility. Heavy .357 rounds, medium .357 rounds, heavy .38 +P rounds, and lower plinking style .38 rounds.

In keeping with versatility, I opted for the hammer, also. I really wanted that single action option. Additionally, a nice looking revolver like the SP101 needs a hammer to complete the picture It just doesn't look the same.

Looks: hammer
    Options: hammer

Another reason that I wanted a hammered version, is because I have a hammerless 442 already. After carrying both in various different ways, the hammer presents no concealment problem, but offers another shooting option. I've carried both in the pocket; no problem there. I've carried both IWB, AIWB and crossdray IWB; no problems.

When I'm practicing self-defense, I always shoot DAO. But, there are lots of times that I just want to shoot for fun, and then the hammer is a good time to play with.

On a side note; you've been promising to get the SP101 for quite a while, are you getting closer, yet?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    KEEP THE HAMMER! REVOLVERS ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE HAMMERS!!!!! You need single action to pick off a snakes head in the woods. Or shoot turtles floating in the river. Got to have my hammer on my 3 inch SP101.
    Says the guy with the hammerless sp101 as his avatar.

My Mom and Pop have the SP101 in the .327 fed round, which only has the option of a hammer. Like some others have said, having the SA option is FUN, if nothing else. I'm with the other 90% of the guys that say "hammer" is the way to go.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Another vote to keep the hammer. Lots of good reasons shown above. I like the option of single action, even if it's only target practice at 25+ yards.
    Steve

I took mine off! After doing so I had my local smith do I nice trigger job for me. 4lb. and smooth and sweet. I did not have any trouble getting use to it. And for the general looks, I think it looks great that way. Works for me!!!

Thanks Willieboy for your kind comments. I was the fortunate one, in that I served with some real American heroes! As for that 101...SWEET! Teddy Jacobsen has a great rep and he looks like he didn't disappoint with your revolver. Enjoy that beautiful Ruger !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    Says the guy with the hammerless sp101 as his avatar.

My Mom and Pop have the SP101 in the .327 fed round, which only has the option of a hammer. Like some others have said, having the SA option is FUN, if nothing else. I'm with the other 90% of the guys that say "hammer" is the way to go.
    Crap... your right my avatar doesent have a hammer. But you can tell that aint my SP because it still has those crappy Ruger grips.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Just want to say that I have opted to have Gemini Customs do a job on my .327 and, if you check out the website, you will see how great it looks without the hammer! It's probably just me, but I think the hammerless look is cool and, as others have pointed out, a real situation will not have you taking time to fire single action: pull & shoot! Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    My SP is only used for IWB carry, and only carried for defensive purposes.
    For that reason, I have the bobbed hammer.
    Should I ever engage someone with my revolver...it will be using a double action trigger pull, so why not go bobbed hammer?
    Train like you fight.
    Some have replied that their hammer does not snag on clothing when drawing from under concealment garments... under duress... I would not want to gamble that, as the SP has a very sharp-edged hammer.
    Either option can work... if you train hard enough.

Good to know they grow smart folks up there in Vermont ! Lived in N. Maine for seven years and they grow some smart ones up there, too!

I like the hammer on mine. I don't carry in my pocket, so the hammer doesn't bother me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links