Want new 1911, Springfield or Colt? - Page 2

Want new 1911, Springfield or Colt?

This is a discussion on Want new 1911, Springfield or Colt? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky Attachment 25043 know SA offers a lifetime warranty , no idea on Colt. Colt does also. Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want new 1911, Springfield or Colt?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Attachment 25043 know SA offers a lifetime warranty , no idea on Colt.
    Colt does also. Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Customer Services > Repair & Refinish > Limited Lifetime Service
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Colt without a doubt. I'd stay with a Government model, for your first 1911. You can't buy just one. Since the grip length is the same between the Government and the Commander, there's not much difference in concealability but the Gov't model will shoot much softer with the 5" barrel.

Colt is the original and what everyone else has copied...
    I have to agree on the above. Holsters--wow--there are tons of choices. You need to narrow down what you are looking for--IWB, OWB, leather, kydex, etc. Other brands--I have a couple of STIs and they make a fine 1911 pistol and a few are in your price range.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

How about the new Ruger. Yes Colt did the original but the current Colt is not the original!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    How about the new Ruger. Yes Colt did the original but the current Colt is not the original!
    You are suggesting that he buy an up proven RUGER over a Colt or Springer? How long has it been out, a month? We are talking about 1911's here, there have been many to try and fail.

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You are suggesting that he buy an up proven RUGER over a Colt or Springer? How long has it been out, a month? We are talking about 1911's here, there have been many to try and fail.

Got to agree here. The Ruger is just to new. Not thoroughly vetted out. Go with either the Colt or Springfield. Both are great.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

OD*
    Yes Colt did the original but the current Colt is not the original!
    Could you elaborate on that thought?

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Colt fixed the few things that pushed me toward Springfield for general recommendations, mainly the grip safety on the XSE line, 2011 models will have an upswept beavertial grip safety that was absent on most Colts but was standard on SA's Loaded Models....
    Am I the only one who thinks the standard grip safety is more than satisfactory on any 1911a1 model out there? I've got meaty hands but have never had an issue with "hammer bite". Maybe I haven't fired 100,000's of rounds enough?
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

This is what I mean by Colt not being the original Colt. Different ownership. "In 1994, the assets of Colt were purchased by Zilkha & Co, a financial group owned by Donald Zilkha. " I have a Springfiled 1911 Loaded Parkerized edition and love the gun. However, I really like the Ruger gun and have no qualms about purchasing a "new" 1911. Ruger has a great record of customer service and the people that they put on this project have a strong 1911 background. I can get one for about $640.00 OTD and I can't touch a Colt or a Springfield with the same type of components for less than about $900.00 to about $1,200.00. And, all of the parts are made right here in the USA. Obviously time will tell, but I am not afraid of trying a Ruger because I know that they will support it.

If I had a $1000 and I was to get a 1911 it would be a Colt. But if I was to buy any 45 for a $1000 I would get a HK45c.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I would be happy with either a Springer or a Colt. In fact, both are on my short "wish list." Already have a Kimber, and would like to have at least one from each of what I consider the "Big Three" 1911 manufacturers. I've seen Springer Loaded models online for less than $800 (before tax & shipping.)
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the standard grip safety is more than satisfactory on any 1911a1 model out there? I've got meaty hands but have never had an issue with "hammer bite". Maybe I haven't fired 100,000's of rounds enough?
    It's not necessarily meaty hands that cause an issue, but long thumbs. On a standard thumb safety, I have to adjust my grip to disengage the safety with my thumb. The pad of my hand ends up on a standard safety. But an extended safety allows be to actually flick it with my thumb without changing my grip.

OD*
    This is what I mean by Colt not being the original Colt. Different ownership. "In 1994, the assets of Colt were purchased by Zilkha & Co, a financial group owned by Donald Zilkha. "
    And the same can be said of Remington (sold in 1888), Winchester (sold in 1931), Marlin (sold in 1915), Springfield Armory (closed in 1968, sold the rights to the name in 1974), and even Ruger, who went public in 1969, publicly traded companies have many new owners.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    And the same can be said of Remington (sold in 1888), Winchester (sold in 1931), Marlin (sold in 1915), Springfield Armory (closed in 1968, sold the rights to the name in 1974), and even Ruger, who went public in 1969, publicly traded companies have many new owners.
    100% correct! The only difference is some companys don't go to trash and some do! Winchester is nothing like it was and the same could be said for most, but Colt to there credit with some other companies over the years has stayed with quality and I have to respect them for that.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Colt had some rough years in the mid-80's, I still have GM made in 86 that was rather "rough" when bought new, but the glory has returned, imho.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
    Colt had some rough years in the mid-80's, I still have GM made in 86 that was rather "rough" when bought new, but the glory has returned, imho.
    Yeah, that was the start of their 4 year strike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links