Want new 1911, Springfield or Colt?

This is a discussion on Want new 1911, Springfield or Colt? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at 1911's in 45acp, the Springfield Champion 4" is one that I have my eye on. The intended use is range and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am looking at 1911's in 45acp, the Springfield Champion 4" is one that I have my eye on. The intended use is range and some carry, sights are important, trigger and cost plan to stay under $1,000.00.

I will admit that I have never owned a 1911, so cock and lock will take some getting use to, as well as a safety to actuate. I am open to other style of guns with the DA/SA options such as a Sig, H&K, F&N and CZ.

Questions:

Best brand reliability?
    Best bang for buck?
    4" or 5" and why?
    Features that are important?
    CCW what holsters for concealment?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am looking at 1911's in 45acp, the Springfield Champion 4" is one that I have my eye on. The intended use is range and some carry, sights are important, trigger and cost plan to stay under $1,000.00.

I will admit that I have never owned a 1911, so cock and lock will take some getting use to, as well as a safety to actuate. I am open to other style of guns with the DA/SA options such as a Sig, H&K, F&N and CZ.

Questions:

Best brand reliability?
    Best bang for buck?
    4" or 5" and why?
    Colt fixed the few things that pushed me toward Springfield for general recommendations, mainly the grip safety on the XSE line, 2011 models will have an upswept beavertial grip safety that was absent on most Colts but was standard on SA's Loaded Models. As you're looking at 4"ish models, I would go Colt as I dislike needed extra tools and gadgets in my guns. Springfield Champions have more complicated take down due to the guide rod assy. and also feature that annoying lock in the mainspring housing (an easy fix to get rid off it), the SA does not have mechanical firing pin safety but the Colt does, the Colt style firing pin safety does not bother me as much as others.

Brand reliability? SA and Colt are both known for pretty good products.

4" vs 5" pending on your body type one or the other may be more comfortable, 4" guns tend to dig into my hip bones as I carry at more of a 3 o'clock position. For me the 5" gun is more comfortable, for others the 4" gun is more comfortable and for shorter persons easier to draw, my wife who's about 5'3 or 5'4 can have trouble clearing a mid-ride holster before her hand can't go any higher.

Features that are important are about the same between an XSE and Springfield Loaded, both some with Novak or Novak style sights, have generous beavertail safeties, elongated safeties and good out of the box triggers (I personally find that most put too much focus on the trigger)

Regarding other makes/models. I've had a Sig P220 Single Action Only (SAO) and it is my belief that when it comes to SAO style guns, the 1911 is still king, pending some more tinkering I may be changing my tune as the HK45 continues to impress me. I like the Sig, but it's overall traits out of the box could have been so much better with a little more work from Sig.

I've rented a few CZs and I like them, but the DA trigger on them could be better, I find that the Sig DA trigger to be better, in terms of DA/SA in .45ACP, you just can't beat the Sig P220 in its traditional format. Regarding the HK, I'm getting along well with my HK45 despite a couple of late nights trying to convert it to LEM, but that was all my fault and not the gun. As for the FN, I have not shot one yet, one of my Co-workers has an FNX in .40 and he likes it, but the overall finish didn't seem to be in the same category as Sig, HK, or even CZ, but all of them have different options for finishes so that's not quite a fair comparison.

I'd probably narrow it down to the Colt XSE Commander or the Sig P220/220SAO, the HK's are nice, but may run over $1K pending on variables.

Are you looking only at .45s or other calibers as well as that will heavily alter possibilities. CZ only has the one .45 (not counting Dan Wessons) and it's a full size gun.

As for holsters, when it comes to the 1911, or even holsters in general, I prefer Milt Sparks.

Distinguished Member
    Best brand reliability?
    In terms of reliability, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. But I do know that Springfield has excellent customer service, should the unexpected happen. I cannot attest to Colt's CS, however.

Best bang for buck?
    I personally think the Springfield Loaded series is one of the best values in 1911s in terms of features. At that price range, very few brands will have all of the features of the Loaded series (i.e. night sights). They also tend to be less expensive than Colts.

4" or 5" and why?
    If you're looking at Colt v. Springfield, it will actually by 4" or 4.25" or 5". Colt has the 5" government and the 4.25" Commander with bushing. Springfield has 5" gov't and 4" bushingless bull barrel. Personally, I think this one goes to Colt. I prefer bushing barrels, so the Colt Commander has the advantage of a shorter length than the full-size models, but still the easy take-down of a bushing barrel with GI guide rod.

If you're looking for maximum concealability, the 4" Springfield will have the edge. For maximum accuracy and muzzle velocity, 5" is better in general.

This is purely subjective. For me, the biggest necessity will be present in both brands: reliability. But as to doo-dads; I would prefer night sights, so that goes to the Springer. But I prefer bushing barrels, so one point for Colt. Both have anything else I would want (extended thumb safety, beavertail), but it's easier to switch sights than whole uppers, so on important features, I give it to the Colt for my tastes.

Any holster maker worth their salt will accomodate any of these models. Which holster you get is completely dependent on your personal needs (body shape, ease of draw, deep concealment, leather vs kydex, etc)

And you know, a Colt is a Colt. It's the original, and the centennial, no less!

If it were me........................I would go with a Government model (5") with a bushing first. I bought a Springfield Champion first and now I only have a Government and Commander with bushings. 1911s with bushings are my preference because they are much easier to take down. You don't have to have a special tool or gismo to capture the recoil spring so you can take the thing apart. That's just my preference. Both companies make fine Government 1911s, and their customer service is some of the best. You can carry a 5" model just as easy as you can a 4" model, and the 5" will be a little bit nicer to shoot at the range because of the extra weight. 5" models tend to be the most reliable, but a Springer 4" Champion is a fine weapon and you hardly hear of any problems with them. You don't have an easy decision to make. Good Luck!
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

VIP Member
    Questions:

1. Best brand reliability?
    2. Best bang for buck?
    3. 4" or 5" and why?
    4. Features that are important?
    5. CCW what holsters for concealment?
    1. Either will be reliable.

2. Springfield Loaded.

3. 4.25". The Colt is a Commander length - 4.25" and it is much easier to take down than the 4" Springer. If you carry this much, you will appreciate the Commander size, but I don't think Colt bobs the grips which really aids in carry.

4. For carry - I prefer a single sided safety. This way, if I bump a door frame or other object, the safety cannot be knocked into the fire position. Extended beaver grips and night sights are nice as well.

5. Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro - no doubt about it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Lead Moderator
    AR-1911 008.jpgI own a SA Champ LW. While the manual calls for a small capture clip for take down on the guide rod , I found it is not needed. Either Colt or SA make good guns that are reliable and accurate. I know SA offers a lifetime warranty , no idea on Colt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If it comes down to a tie between the two, then I would recommend for you to buy a Colt. It is after all the 100th year anniversary of the 1911 being adopted by the US Military. Might as well have one from the original maker.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Don't forget the other 1911 makers out there, Kimber very good guns and look at the new 1911 by Ruger, I've heard good reviews about it and both of these are MADE IN AMERICA.

VIP Member
    Both are very good, but If I had my choice it will be a Colt.

1. They (Colt) are the original 1911 manufacturer
    2. Higher resale value
    3. Made in the USA
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Colt without a doubt. I'd stay with a Government model, for your first 1911. You can't buy just one. Since the grip length is the same between the Government and the Commander, there's not much difference in concealability but the Gov't model will shoot much softer with the 5" barrel.

Colt is the original and what everyone else has copied...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

If you're going to consider a Sig Sauer, I'd recommend a P220... it's a nice pistol. Make sure you get one that's a few years old and made in Germany, not Exeter NH...

Sig's quality is reportedly on a downward slide due to budget cuts... their older stuff is bulletproof... their newer stuff is hit or miss in quality and reliability.

I've got a couple old Sigs and they've been flawless. P220 and P6.

Have both, like them both.

I'd say Colt for value retention, and that "Colt" feel.

My son just got a STI Rangerll and a Ruger SR1911- both are wellmade, accurate, and in your price range. I've got a Springfield loaded and a couple of Colts ( 3" however) and haven't had any problems- so the field of choices grows.

Great choices out there, but I have a prejudice in 1911's and it's spelled: C O L T !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

OD*
    Questions:

Best brand reliability?
    Both have been completely reliable for me.

Best bang for buck?
    IMO, Colt offers the best dollar value. Not being a fan of MIM parts, I appreciate the fact the Colt uses the fewest on standard production 1911s.

4" or 5" and why?
    I prefer the full-size Government Model, it is the original design and has preformed quite well for me. Second would be a true Commander size of 4.25", Colt has been making them since 1949 and they have the bugs worked out.

The features that are important to me, may not be important to you. You having never owned a 1911 might not even know what options you need or like, I'd suggest handling as many 1911s with different options and as many different sizes as you can.

What has worked best for me for over 30 years has been the IWB "Summer Special" types, the Milt Sparks VMII or Watch-Six, and out side the belt I prefer the "Askin Avenger" style. Your preferences, and what would work best for you, maybe completely different though.
    Best of luck on your quest.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links