Glock 26 and lead bullets - Page 3

Glock 26 and lead bullets

This is a discussion on Glock 26 and lead bullets within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock Guys like you and I clean our guns often (I do after every outing), but not everyone is like ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Glock 26 and lead bullets

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Guys like you and I clean our guns often (I do after every outing), but not everyone is like us. There are quite a few ignorant people out there, and when you mix it will all the Glock folklore about being bullet proof and never needing to be clean or lubed is where you could have issues.
    Yup, that's a good point and that's why Glock doesn't recommend shooting lead because of all the ignorant people

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Clean my Glock after outings......I shoulda thought of that...

But seriously, how many lead bullets can one fire before the barrel would be fouled to the point of potential failures?
    That greatly depends on how soft the lead your shooting is.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Too hard lead can also cause leading. Leading is not caused by the simple passing of the bullet through the barrel. It is caused by the melting of the base of the bullet. This melting is necassary for proper seal of the bullet to barrel, allowing it reach peak velocity.
    If the base is too soft, it melts and becomes excessive. It the lead is to hard, the hot gas will blow by and around the bullet causing melting along the sides of the bullet allowing excessive leading.
    Bullets loaded at a velocity between 750-900 fps should be ok. However, without knowing the BHN of the lead, this is an educated guess at best.

The concept applies no matter the barrel type. If you do not understand lead bullets and how they work, leave them alone. If you do, and can chron your reloads, and mix your own lead, and know what you are doing, then you can shoot lead out of anything.

Glock and others put these warnings out there to protect idiots from themselves.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I shot lead out of a G17 for years,usually 100 rounds at a time or less then cleaned it,I wouldn't recommend shooting jacketed bullets after lead until you have thoroughly cleaned it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Too hard lead can also cause leading. Leading is not caused by the simple passing of the bullet through the barrel. It is caused by the melting of the base of the bullet. This melting is necassary for proper seal of the bullet to barrel, allowing it reach peak velocity.
    If the base is too soft, it melts and becomes excessive. It the lead is to hard, the hot gas will blow by and around the bullet causing melting along the sides of the bullet allowing excessive leading.
    Bullets loaded at a velocity between 750-900 fps should be ok. However, without knowing the BHN of the lead, this is an educated guess at best.

The concept applies no matter the barrel type. If you do not understand lead bullets and how they work, leave them alone. If you do, and can chron your reloads, and mix your own lead, and know what you are doing, then you can shoot lead out of anything.

Glock and others put these warnings out there to protect idiots from themselves.
    I've seen enough reloads from novice reloaders at ranges to understand why IIRC all gun manufacturers state that shooting reloads will void the warranty,
    One thing I will do when seeing somebody struggling with reloads is offer to help them out with their equipment and give some hands on instruction to further the sport and then they too can pass on their knowledge to the next generation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

[QUOTE=dukalmighty;1933953]I've seen enough reloads from novice reloaders at ranges to understand why IIRC all gun manufacturers state that shooting reloads will void the warranty,
    One thing I will do when seeing somebody struggling with reloads is offer to help them out with their equipment and give some hands on instruction to further the sport and then they too can pass on their knowledge to the next generation[/Q

I agree with this. However, one must have specific knowledge of the components, and composition of the bullet to give helpful information. Anything less is spitting into the wind.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I shot lead out of a G17 for years,usually 100 rounds at a time or less then cleaned it,I wouldn't recommend shooting jacketed bullets after lead until you have thoroughly cleaned it
    Thank you dukalmighty for providing some sort of an answer to my question without including the words ignorant and/or idiot in your reply. I think I'll continue to follow Glock's recommendation of shooting jacketed ammo since my range sessions are often times well over 100 rounds.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I am sorry that you took my responses personally, as the words ignnorant and idiot were used as a generalization of certain groups and not singular. I'm glad you found the knowledge you wee looking for .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links