Glock 26 and lead bullets

This is a discussion on Glock 26 and lead bullets within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I reload for all my guns and cast the bullets for them. Recently I bought my wife a S&W 913 in 9mm. I plan on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Glock 26 and lead bullets

I reload for all my guns and cast the bullets for them. Recently I bought my wife a S&W 913 in 9mm. I plan on reloading and casting, strickly practice ammo, for it but it's the only 9mm I have so I've been kicking the idea around about getting a pocket 9mm.
    I pocket carry a P3at everywhere. Wear nothing other than Wrangler cargo pants and the lil" .380 with it's pocket holster ride very comfortably and secure. But it's the only .380 I have so to save money and time the 9mm idea looks better.
    Been looking at the Pf9, LC9 and used Glock 26. These are in my price range of 450 and under. Looked at the Springfield subcompact but hate the way it looks plus it seems to big for a pocket carry. Course the Glock 26 may be as well. Haven't had a chance to try one in my pocket. Have the PF9 and LC9 and the both fit well.
    Here's the thing on the Glock. I've heard you can't shoot lead bullets in the barrels. Is that true? Heard of an aftermarket barrel that you can with but not willing to put out an extra expense on it. Opinions or comments?

Get a Lone Wolf Barrel about $110 and shoot all the lead you want or stick to jacketed ammo as per Glock.

If you use a gas checked bullet, it will be ok with the stock barrel. Having said that, I find it easier to buy and load cheaper plated bullets for practice ammo.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I do know that Glock does not use conventional land and grove rifling. They use polygonal rifling. This may be the reason they don't recommend lead bullets. Also lead bullets tend to dirty the gun up faster, and with a semi auto that cca cause problems in functioning.
    joker1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The poloygonal rifling in a Glock barrel is what makes it so accurate. But the lead will fill the shallow rifling and can cause a KABOOM. I personally am not a fan of aftermarket parts in my Glocks. The stock barrels perform the best in Glocks from what I've read. Others have had good experience w/ lone wolf.

If it were me, I would get the 26 and use jacketed ammo.
    joker1, Snatale42 and TomInJax like this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I reload everything I shoot for practice in my handguns, and all my rifle ammo.

Either get an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling, or use plated bullets. Shooting lead bullets in a Glock factory barrel is a bad idea.

I use Berry's 115g plated round nose bullets - I buy them by the thousand direct from Berry's. I just took delivery of my third thousand so far this year.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    How about getting a S&W M&P9c and don't worry about the lead bullets. They EAT EVERYTHING......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

i have been shooting lead out of my glocks and hk 40's, all poly rifleing... i have been doing it since 1993.. no issues other then you NEED to cleen the lead out at least every 200 rounds or less... the factory barrels lead up fast... get the lone wolf barrel if you dont want to deal with that

Just clean the barrel like Ring said. Glock has kind of built a following with the "maintainence free" mind-set, and using jacketed ammo, Glocks are excellent in that regard. But, if you just take care of them as you would any regular gun, you should be fine. Also watch your brass. I don't like to use 9mm Luger over 4 times due to the pressures involved, escpecially in a Glock.

no lead in glocks, period! as someone suggested if you want to shoot reloads or lead through a glock get a replacement barrel like a lonewolf barrel. search the internet and they can be found for around $100

Once more, put a gas check on the bullet and fire away.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well the gas check or replacement barrel aren't practical for me. I'll just throw the Glock out of the equation and decide on one of the other 2 guns. Like I said, wasn't even sure how practical it would be for pocket carry anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    How about getting a S&W M&P9c and don't worry about the lead bullets. They EAT EVERYTHING......
    But it's not a GLOCK...

I just had to!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Cas Cowboy View Post
    Well the gas check or replacement barrel aren't practical for me. I'll just throw the Glock out of the equation and decide on one of the other 2 guns. Like I said, wasn't even sure how practical it would be for pocket carry anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Good idea, the G26 is too big to pocket carry anyway IMO.
    Don,t get me wrong ,I love my G26 but its not a pocket gun.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    But it's not a GLOCK...

I just had to!
    Can't miss either way. They are both superb. My only point for the suggestion is that it makes economic sense as he will get the same type of gun without needing an after market barrel to shoot lead.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links