Advice on Kahr P380 - Page 2

Advice on Kahr P380

This is a discussion on Advice on Kahr P380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Kahr P3834 about 6 months ago. I was sick about it until I found out what ammo it prefers. I cleaned it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Advice on Kahr P380

Kahr 380 is moody

I bought a Kahr P3834 about 6 months ago. I was sick about it until I found out what ammo it prefers. I cleaned it racked it 500 times oiled it etc etc etc...before firing it. I own a colt govt 380 that will shoot anything a sig 238 that is a real problem child, and a real german walther pp that is the one that I prefer.
    Anyway back to the Kahr. I had many misfires until I found out that my particular gun likes pmg gold dot, speer lawman for the range/plinking. I have shot 1200 rounds through it. It doesn't get consistent until about 500 rounds. Now I love the gun. It's not perfect, but its like a bad child....You need to know how to make it act right. I'm glad that I didn't sell it at a pawn shop (which i almost did)......My 2 cents worth...

ExGM likes this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

I have a P380 and a PM9. Break in was no issue and have not had a single issue with either. I shoot Speer Lawman most of the time. Can not remember a single FTE/FTF on either gun. I have read so many comments on this forum from those who love Kahrs. Guess it is like anything. You can get a bad one every now and then. Ammo can have a lot to do with it and I did not see the type used mentioned here.

OH well I guess it does not matter anyhow as you sold it.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

P380 Problems (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    In the past months, I decided it would be a good idea to pick up a reliable pocket 380 or 9mm. I went with the Kahr P380 and liked everything about it until I took it to the range 3-4 times. Aside from the fact it hurts to shoot, I am not sure I can trust the gun. I have now taken 400 rounds through it with on average 6-10 FTF and jams per 50/box. I know I could/should contact Kahr (as I did after 200 rds, they said to shoot it more). Right or wrong, I want/need a gun that I 100% trust.

So, unless I have 200 problem free rounds with my Kahr this week-back it goes. I am now thinking pocket-ish 9mm. Thoughts? Thanks. I want something that does not have to have extensive breaking in as I have had w/my HK's and Glocks and 100% trust.
    To follow up with the above discussion, prior to purchasing a .380 auto last year my research indicated that all .380 autos seem to have similar problems because of the nature of miniaturizing the pistol's internal mechanisms and small recoil energy of the .380 cartridge. I nevertheless purchased the P380 because there was less negative publicity than the other .380 autos on the market. During the 400 round "break-in" period I experienced a lot of FTF problems with FMJ cartridges that had rounded nose bullets (ammo that you typically shoot at the range). The problem was less noticeable with JHP cartridges with bullets that were more pointed (Hornady, Winchester - the cartridges that are used for concealed carry and MUST WORK 100% of the time). After 500 rounds on the odometer I took the P380 to a gunsmith who polished the feed ramp, ejector, etc. to determine if this would stop the FTF problems. Upon receipt of the now-tuned up P380 I was anxious to see if the FTF problems were a thing of the past. After shooting 50 rounds of FMJ ammo I can say that the problems are still present in the P380.

The purpose of a concealed weapon is to defend yourself in a life or death situation. In a high-stress, crisis-filled situation a person can not be worried about the reliability of his firearm. The additional time it would take to clear a jam might be the difference between you living or dying. I am getting rid of my P380 and looking at the Kahr PM9 as a replacement. My research indicates that this is the most reliable mini-9mm on the market. I looked at the Diamondback DB9 because of it's slightly smaller size but (once again) it seems to have reliability issues. I wish Glock manufactured a single stack mini-9mm but until they do the PM9 will have to do. Glock Firearms R&D, are you reading this???

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    In the past months, I decided it would be a good idea to pick up a reliable pocket 380 or 9mm. I went with the Kahr P380 and liked everything about it until I took it to the range 3-4 times. Aside from the fact it hurts to shoot, I am not sure I can trust the gun. I have now taken 400 rounds through it with on average 6-10 FTF and jams per 50/box. I know I could/should contact Kahr (as I did after 200 rds, they said to shoot it more). Right or wrong, I want/need a gun that I 100% trust.

So, unless I have 200 problem free rounds with my Kahr this week-back it goes. I am now thinking pocket-ish 9mm. Thoughts? Thanks. I want something that does not have to have extensive breaking in as I have had w/my HK's and Glocks and 100% trust.
    I can only relate my experience with the same firearm...... Mine was not reliable from the beginning and never reached the reliability I require of a firearm even AFTER going back to Kahr. Finally sold mine....... After nearly 1,000 rounds, it still jammed at least twice per box of ammunition. Needless to say that I have a very bad taste in my mouth for Kahr products and will not own another..... They told me to keep shooting mine also, but I think 1,000 rounds is past what one would expect to be a typical break-in period. Good luck with yours....
    ExGM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gberk View Post
    To follow up with the above discussion, prior to purchasing a .380 auto last year my research indicated that all .380 autos seem to have similar problems because of the nature of miniaturizing the pistol's internal mechanisms and small recoil energy of the .380 cartridge. I nevertheless purchased the P380 because there was less negative publicity than the other .380 autos on the market. During the 400 round "break-in" period I experienced a lot of FTF problems with FMJ cartridges that had rounded nose bullets (ammo that you typically shoot at the range). The problem was less noticeable with JHP cartridges with bullets that were more pointed (Hornady, Winchester - the cartridges that are used for concealed carry and MUST WORK 100% of the time). After 500 rounds on the odometer I took the P380 to a gunsmith who polished the feed ramp, ejector, etc. to determine if this would stop the FTF problems. Upon receipt of the now-tuned up P380 I was anxious to see if the FTF problems were a thing of the past. After shooting 50 rounds of FMJ ammo I can say that the problems are still present in the P380.

The purpose of a concealed weapon is to defend yourself in a life or death situation. In a high-stress, crisis-filled situation a person can not be worried about the reliability of his firearm. The additional time it would take to clear a jam might be the difference between you living or dying. I am getting rid of my P380 and looking at the Kahr PM9 as a replacement. My research indicates that this is the most reliable mini-9mm on the market. I looked at the Diamondback DB9 because of it's slightly smaller size but (once again) it seems to have reliability issues. I wish Glock manufactured a single stack mini-9mm but until they do the PM9 will have to do. Glock Firearms R&D, are you reading this???
    Sooooo where ya selling it at? Armslist? Gunbroker?

Kahr P380 Unreliable

Quote Originally Posted by drewski1325 View Post
    Sooooo where ya selling it at? Armslist? Gunbroker?
    Buyer beware. I wish I had read the forum threads about the Kahr P 380 before I purchased this worthless piece of junk. I was intrigued by its size and the fact that my local gun shop recommended this hand gun.

However, it has not functioned properly since day one. BTW-I am an experienced hand gun owner. The misfires were unacceptable, sorry but after 500 rounds of various Ammo this gun is should be more than broken in. I've seen other posts mentioning the quality and tight tolerances of the Kahr. I have read about the "limp wristing" and releasing the slide by using the lever...But what good is a weapon the misfires 1% of the time yet alone 40%-50% of the time that I get with this useless piece of scrap iron. No way am I going to carry this thing.

Yes I have sent it back to the factory where they said that they cleaned it, replaced the barrel ??? and fired six mags through it w/o failure... No freakn way unless they have some sort of magic bullets. Now in addition to the misfires it is "stove-piping" rounds.

I have returned this handgun to the manufacturer for the second time and upon its return I will be selling it. Unfortunately is doesn't sound like my local gun shop where I purchased this thing (with their recommendation) is going to stand by it.

Buyer beware... shame on Kahr... this issue has been going on for years.

Sincerely,
    Ticked off Kahr owner!
    ExGM likes this.

To each his own.
    If your looking for a 380 the Glock 42 became available in the States recently I have had the opportunity to shoot it. While I am Glock biased this gun is still a great 380, it has real sights and shoots great. Rumor is Glock will make this gun in 9mm after they sell a million 380's or in about a year. The size is nice but could use a magazine extension.
    If it's a 9mm then grab a Glock 26.
    Just my 2 cents.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by shooter8571 View Post
    To each his own.
    If your looking for a 380 the Glock 42 became available in the States recently I have had the opportunity to shoot it. While I am Glock biased this gun is still a great 380, it has real sights and shoots great. Rumor is Glock will make this gun in 9mm after they sell a million 380's or in about a year. The size is nice but could use a magazine extension.
    If it's a 9mm then grab a Glock 26.
    Just my 2 cents.

Jack

Thanks for the input. I will definately do the "due diligence" sp? on my next purchase of a reliable .380. I'm usually a stickler for doing my research but I relied on my dealers expertise..."fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me." Not planning on that happening again. I
    ExGM likes this.

If I'm ever in a situation where I have to protect myself or my family a gun that fires most of the time doesn't cut it.
    ExGM likes this.

Kahrs are always a love or hate deal. I have a CM9 that was reliable from the start and grabbed a CW380 a few months ago that took a little breaking in and now has no issues with anything I've tried. I know other people have big issues, but I'm happy with them.

Same problem here. 3 times to factory to no avail. What a piece of junk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by str8freccia View Post
    Buyer beware. I wish I had read the forum threads about the Kahr P 380 before I purchased this worthless piece of junk. I was intrigued by its size and the fact that my local gun shop recommended this hand gun.

However, it has not functioned properly since day one. BTW-I am an experienced hand gun owner. The misfires were unacceptable, sorry but after 500 rounds of various Ammo this gun is should be more than broken in. I've seen other posts mentioning the quality and tight tolerances of the Kahr. I have read about the "limp wristing" and releasing the slide by using the lever...But what good is a weapon the misfires 1% of the time yet alone 40%-50% of the time that I get with this useless piece of scrap iron. No way am I going to carry this thing.

Yes I have sent it back to the factory where they said that they cleaned it, replaced the barrel ??? and fired six mags through it w/o failure... No freakn way unless they have some sort of magic bullets. Now in addition to the misfires it is "stove-piping" rounds.

I have returned this handgun to the manufacturer for the second time and upon its return I will be selling it. Unfortunately is doesn't sound like my local gun shop where I purchased this thing (with their recommendation) is going to stand by it.

Buyer beware... shame on Kahr... this issue has been going on for years.

Sincerely,
    Ticked off Kahr owner!
    Send it to me. I'll bet I can get it to work.
    Doghandler and than137 like this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Had a CM9 and was totally disappointed. Didn't like the fact that there was a break in period and picky with some ammo. Never did get it to work reliable even after the break in period. Maybe the expectations are just too high to have something that's reliable straight out of the box. I'm now back looking at the CW380 but really worry about the same break in period and not being reliable

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Send it to me. I'll bet I can get it to work.
    Man you are raining on my parade! LOL I wanna buy it dirt cheap and make it run then sell it for a profit. I have found it very easy to get "problem" Kahrs to run correctly.

M1Abrams don't worry about it. You are missing out on a great little weapon if you pass up the CW380. I have one and run it hard. No issues. Just go to KahrTalk Home and educate yourself before you shoot it. The tech section has great information and will keep you from having a problem but if you do the guys there will help you trouble shoot. Just remember these are micro pistols they are not like larger pistols. If you do not want to take the time to learn about them don't bother getting one. You probably won't be happy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links