Advice on Kahr P380

Advice on Kahr P380

This is a discussion on Advice on Kahr P380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the past months, I decided it would be a good idea to pick up a reliable pocket 380 or 9mm. I went with the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Advice on Kahr P380

Advice on Kahr P380

In the past months, I decided it would be a good idea to pick up a reliable pocket 380 or 9mm. I went with the Kahr P380 and liked everything about it until I took it to the range 3-4 times. Aside from the fact it hurts to shoot, I am not sure I can trust the gun. I have now taken 400 rounds through it with on average 6-10 FTF and jams per 50/box. I know I could/should contact Kahr (as I did after 200 rds, they said to shoot it more). Right or wrong, I want/need a gun that I 100% trust.

So, unless I have 200 problem free rounds with my Kahr this week-back it goes. I am now thinking pocket-ish 9mm. Thoughts? Thanks. I want something that does not have to have extensive breaking in as I have had w/my HK's and Glocks and 100% trust.

Now that's a little disconcerting............

I'm getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a KAHR purchase.
    I'm trying to decide between the PM9 and the CM9........there's s few others out there about the same size, but there are tons of KAHR owners that are very happy with their little guns.

I know with the KAHR 9's they recommend using "American BRASS".....
    I know that sounds a little nutty to me, but I will stick to the program.

Don't give up, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    In the past months, I decided it would be a good idea to pick up a reliable pocket 380 or 9mm. I went with the Kahr P380 and liked everything about it until I took it to the range 3-4 times. Aside from the fact it hurts to shoot, I am not sure I can trust the gun. I have now taken 400 rounds through it with on average 6-10 FTF and jams per 50/box. I know I could/should contact Kahr (as I did after 200 rds, they said to shoot it more). Right or wrong, I want/need a gun that I 100% trust.

So, unless I have 200 problem free rounds with my Kahr this week-back it goes. I am now thinking pocket-ish 9mm. Thoughts? Thanks. I want something that does not have to have extensive breaking in as I have had w/my HK's and Glocks and 100% trust.
    I had the same issue. Loved the size and was ok with the shootability. Good sights and great DA trigger, but I could not get it to shoot reliably. I had about the same FTF as you. I ended up trading it for a S&W 642 with CT grip. Lost my shirt on the deal but I have a reliable carry gun now.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Whether its right or wrong, the break-in period and recommendations are important. I researched quite a bit with some hesitation, but got the P380 and followed the advice from others on the Kahr forum and it worked out great. I had the FTFs within the first 200 rounds even after racking the slide 500 times, lubing, etc. But after that I have never had a problem. Hope it works out for you!

got a friend that has one. he put around 200 rounds down range so far and has not had any problems. but it was a used one and he does not know the round count before he got it. it could have been a bear and the first owner gave it back to the gun store.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Mine has about 1,100+ rounds through it. I had about the same amount of failures as you for the first few hundred rounds. What I found out is that it's too small for my hands. So I wasn't getting a good enough grip on it and it was my fault. A simple fix, I put a hogue rubber grip sleeve on it to make the surface of the grip larger and a little more mass to hold onto. Shot reliably after that but you do have to use good quality ammo.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Send it back. Kahr will make it right. I had similar problems with mine, but Kahr CS was great and I sent a letter with the pistol detailing the different ammo brands I tried and the number of cleanings, etc. They replaced a lot of parts and had it back in about a week. It has been fine ever since. The couple issues I've had have been operator error. It's a great pistol, but obviously yours needs some going-over at the factory.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Cut a bicycle tube. It`ll make all the difference in the world. Then send it back to Kahr. Their customer service is good. Stop pthrowing good money down the tube. It's tha checkering that hurts. If you think that's bad, wait until you try a PM9 or other small polymer 9. That's why I went with an MK9.

It'll work out and you'll have the best little pocket gun on the market.
    Gideon

I shot another 200 rounds through it today, it did better. Probably 1-2 FTF/E per box. Still hurt my hand. The range owner let me shoot his Sig P238. Really like night and day. Shot 50 rounds, no issues. But the comfort and as a byproduct accuracy was much greater in my hands. So....I made a trade. He gave me $400 for the Kahr (only $60 less than what I paid). Hopefully I will find .380 happiness, otherwise I will chalk it up to experience.

I hear some reliability issues about the P380 but the PM9, CW9, and the new CM9 I only hear good things about reliablility.

Some of the early P380s had issues with non +p ammo (basically non-self defense stuff). If you shot SD ammo they were fine. Kahr made a change to the recoil spring that supposedly fixed that. This is according to a salesman at my LGS. I have no personal experience with the gun as I have an LCP.

Next question - how on earth did you score a P380 for $460.00? Most I've seen were around $7-$800.

VIP Member
    My question was going to be - if it hurt to shoot a tiny .380, why would you swap to a tiny 9mm? My PF-9 was no joy to shoot (understatement), but it worked, and what did I expect in a 9mm that small and light?

P.S. Glad you like the Sig P238. I have been lusting after one since they came out, but have been put off by some of the reported issues. Always nice to see a satisfied customer.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Try this one....you'll like it.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I have had two Kahr's.Spent alot of ammo "breakin them in".Don't have them anymore.I reccomend Ruger LC9.Unless u can afford a solo which i don't know much about other than the trigger felt sweet.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    The Kimber Solo is nice, but very scarce. One of my LGS says that they ordered 40 of the Kimber Solo's and are waiting for them to come in and all 40 of them have already been purchased or people have put money down for them. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Try this one....you'll like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links