Kahr trigger question >>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Kahr trigger question >>>>>>> within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking of picking up a Kahr PM9 and have been looking at them at gun shows and local gun shops over the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kahr trigger question >>>>>>>

Kahr trigger question >>>>>>>

I have been thinking of picking up a Kahr PM9 and have been looking at them at gun shows and local gun shops over the last year. My question is does anyone else think that the trigger on the Kahrs feel kind of spongy ??? I mean it feels light and clean, but still spongy. I currenty also have a Keltec PF9 and many people complain about the Keltec PF9's trigger being gritty but mine is actually nice and not spongy. It is not as light and clean as the Kahr but to me all of the Kahr PM9's that I have tried their triggers seems to feel spongy if that makes sense. Let me know what you all think or experience. God Bless

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    It is "spongy" when compared to a Glock, but I think its on par or better than most DAO pistols. My only complaint is that the reset is long, but thats not an issue once you are used to it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got four Kahrs and I get your characterization as "spongy"; kind of like my Glocks without the crisp reset at the halfway mark. I think you'll get used to the feel and appreciate the smoothness. The only thing I liked about my pf9 was the ability to sort-of stage the trigger easily and I've found I can so the same thing with the Kahr after a little experience. As accurate and as shootable as the are, Kahrs are self-defense weapons, point-and-shoot guns.

I think the more you shoot the gun the less of an issue you will have with the trigger. You may also want to check out the CM9, basically the same gun as the PM9 and considerably cheaper. I think the only difference is the type of rifling, the PM9 barrel has polygonal rifleing and the CM9 is standard type, the other difference is the laser etching on the slide.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Spongy is not the word I'd use. To me, the Kahr trigger is very "linear" and constant in feel. No stage, no creep, just a little long. Not a target trigger, but the Kahr triggers have good qualities for a carry gun.
    mr surveyor likes this.

Thanks everyone for your replies. You all are correct in that I will get used to the trigger. When I first purchased my Keltec PF9 I thought I would not get used to the trigger, but after about 500 rounds I actually like it, especially for a carry gun. I would like to try and purchase a CM9 but I have not seen any in my area. So I can either wait or just purchase a PM9. God Bless

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    I think the more you shoot the gun the less of an issue you will have with the trigger. You may also want to check out the CM9, basically the same gun as the PM9 and considerably cheaper. I think the only difference is the type of rifling, the PM9 barrel has polygonal rifleing and the CM9 is standard type, the other difference is the laser etching on the slide.
    Don't forget MIM parts instead of machined, front sight is pinned instead of dovetailed, it ships with one mag vs. two (no big deal). But, if you never intend on changing the sights and MIM or fancy laser engraving doesnt bother you, you can save 200 bucks with the CM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really enjoy the trigger on the Kahrs. If I've been shooting one of my other guns and then pick up the Kahr, sometimes I don't think it's cocked when I pull on the trigger because it is so light and smooth. Then of course it goes bang and I get that "oh yeah" feeling.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Spongy is not the word I'd use. To me, the Kahr trigger is very "linear" and constant in feel. No stage, no creep, just a little long. Not a target trigger, but the Kahr triggers have good qualities for a carry gun.
    This describes it pretty well.

Another comparison I've heard is that of a hand staple gun, only lighter. Very smooth, but I have a little trouble getting used to it, shooting mainly single actions. But for its purpose, it does well.

would not describe the Kahr trigger pull as "spongy" at all,very smooth and constant with a nice crisp break..

Yes..... I know exactly what you mean.... and "spongy" is about the only word I could use to describe it too. I haven't figured out if I like it or not, so far.... it's a -1.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have a K9....... once you get the "hang" of the trigger..... you will love it

I think you may be comparing the striker pull of the Kahr to the hammer pull of the KT. You feel the compression of two different kinds of springs. I never did like the spoongy feel of striker fire pistols until the SA triggers came about.

Longtrain

Distinguished Member
    I like the Khar trigger, but it would be great with a little shorter pull.

The Kel Tek trigger is not that much different from the Kahr. My son bought a KT and I ws able to compare it to my PM9. The KT does have a little longer trigger pull IMO. It really was not gritty and at least this gun was surprisingly smooth. The Kahr trigger is a little shorter pull and very smooth. Neither trigger pull seemed to stack or get harder to pull as you increased the pull. Both were excellent.
    I would like to see the pull shorter for both pistols. The problem I was running into was the last little bit of both pulls is at a weak point in relation to finger strengtrh. It is hard to pull through that last bit smoothly, especially is you are attempting to stage the pull to any degree.
    Also, the lasst part of the pull tends to put my index finger into contact with my off hand grip in I am not careful.
    That being said, I have been able to over come both issues to my satisfaction.
    Best wishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links