Thinking about a XD .45 Compact

This is a discussion on Thinking about a XD .45 Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally by myself a new gun in the summer. I get a crap ton of overtime and a new firearm is my present to ...

Thread: Thinking about a XD .45 Compact

I normally by myself a new gun in the summer. I get a crap ton of overtime and a new firearm is my present to my self for working 70-80 hours a week for 2 months. Last year it was my AR of which I am still extremely happy with. This year it's going to be a multi role pistol. I found a place pretty close that does IDPA and rifle/pistol tactical matches that I would like to start competing in. I have always been interested in doing it but didn't think there was anywhere close. So first off the roles I would like this pistol to fill

-40 Percent night stand gun
    -40 Percent rifle/pistol match gun
    -20 Percent carry gun

My first idea was to go with a CCO style 1911. I ended up deciding against this for a couple reasons. First and foremost no one makes a (affordable) one I like. The closest is the Kimber compact carry II and while I don't mind it being a Kimber I do mind it being mirror shined stainless steel. Secondly I'm not sure if I have the time to devote to training to becoming proficient with a SA pistol with a safety that I could comfortably wield it safely in the stress of a defensive situation or a match.

This led me to a G19. This option fills all the criteria. The only thing is that I prefer .357 or .45 for a defensive round. Ammo cost between 9mm and .45 is negligible for me as I can get (within reason) all the ammo I need from my dad. The G19 is also slightly longer in the handle which when your my size and refuse to buy close a size to large makes a difference in the concealment factor. Although this gun would not be primary EDC it would still be carried on occasion. The G19 isn't off the table as a option, it's just my 2nd choice to...

The XD .45 compact. I have to admit, I have pretty much NO experience with the XD line. I just know what I have read and what I gleaned from holding one a couple of times. I owned a M&P45c for a while which is a similar configuration. I liked it except for a couple of things. First was that the trigger sucked. It was about as crisp as a can of wet cat food. It also only held 8 rounds. It's not that I don't think 8 rounds is enough but it was a pretty thick and heavy gun for only having that capacity. I sold it and haven't missed it. I do however miss the configuration.

The configuration being a shortened handle, auto loading, 4 inch barrel .45. The handle size is perfect for me. I have small hands so I can still get a full grip on it but there's no "wasted handle". It also aids greatly in concealment. The XD Compact hold 10 rounds which improves on the 8 rounds of my former M&P45c. It also has (What I consider to be) a better trigger. It fills all three of the roles I want it to fill. My local range unfortunately doesn't have one to rent so my sole source of information is you guys and just looking for info on the net.

What do you think about the XD .45 Compact? Have you owned or shot one? Anything I am over looking? Give me your opinion!

I've also been eyeing a G36 for sometime but it just doesn't strike me as a "match gun" .
    Last edited by Rollo; May 12th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Rollo, I've had my XD .45 Compact for over 3 years and it was the 1st gun I carried when I got my carry permit in January 09. I didn't have a problem carrying the XD during the winter months, but it didn't take me long to decide it's not the best option for (Memphis) summer carry. It's fairly heavy when loaded with 11 rounds of 230 gr .45's.

I now shoot it more at the range than carry it and it currently resides as my nightstand gun.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Rollo, I've had my XD .45 Compact for over 3 years and it was the 1st gun I carried when I got my carry permit in January 09. I didn't have a problem carrying the XD during the winter months, but it didn't take me long to decide it's not the best option for (Memphis) summer carry. It's fairly heavy when loaded with 11 rounds of 230 gr .45's.

I now shoot it more at the range than carry it and it currently resides as my nightstand gun.

The weight is definitely something I looked at. At 29oz unloaded and probably 34-36 loaded it's pretty hefty. It doesn't concern me as much as it's not going to be a primary carry gun, only a occasional carry with primary duty being night stand and matches. Thanks for your thoughts!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I don't have a .45 compact but I did have a .45 Tactical and a 9mm Sub Compact. I would say go for it XD's are great guns my only complaint was the slop in the factory trigger, but a springer precision trigger job fixed that right up.

But are you sure your hand does not drop below the mag well at all? I ask because I actually shot my sub compact in a match and I ended up with a few blood blisters on my hand by getting pinched during a reload. And the short handle does slow you down with reloads a little bit. But then again I have giant meat hooks for hands.

If it does drop below the mag well at all I would suggest a service model XD45 or the XDM. If not, you should be good to go!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

XD45 Compact is a good choice. Agreed it is a bit heavy but since it would be primarily a nightstand/Match gun that isn't an issue. Also agree that it has a better trigger out of the box compared to the M&P. Not great mind you but still better. You could shoot 2 divisions in IDPA; ESP and CDP.

You also have the option of using the 13rd mags which would be a plus for a nightstand load out or to carry as a spare mag during CC. Pearce grip are available extensions if you need just a bit extra grip without using a full size mag. I opted for this with my XDSC.

Now what barrel length 4" or 5"? Personally I chose 4" primarily for comfort while carrying. I picked up an XDm .45 as well since I got a good price and it also uses the same 13rd mags.

I really like my XD45 compact. I must admit, I travel a lot for my job and I just bought the gun three months ago so I have only shot it on one occasion. I did previously have a full size XD45 that a friend begged me to sell him until I acquiesced, which is why when I came across the compact model at a good price, I jumped on it. I put 300-400 rounds through it and I remembered why I missed my XD45. It became my nightstand gun. I typically conceal my G27, G23, or G30, because I have Fobus paddle holsters for them, but when I do get a chance, I am going to get a nice holster to conceal my XD45 compact because I really like the feel of the XD and like to have additional options when I carry.

I have an XD45c. I like it, but I guess I have nothing to compare to it. It's my primary carry and HD gun.

I did some measurements a while back. I found 36.7 oz with the compact (10rd) magazine + 1 (chamber round). 230 gr. Gold Dot, standard pressure.

With a fully loaded 13 round (full sized) magazine + 1 , it's a bit under 39.9 oz.

Not that light, but I like it all the same. It's heavier than your SP-101 unloaded, but then again, you are getting more capacity... if that's worth something to ya.

The XD trigger is better than the others from what I hear, but it's definitely no 1911. Luckily, the trigger can be improved in the aftermarket, something that I dno't believe is possible with the MP 45. I still have the stock trigger. At the moment, I can't quite justify a trigger job, since the stock trigger is fine once you get used to it. Right now I think I'd rather spend that money on one of the new pocket 9s coming out onto the market.

I have had my XD40sc for several years and I absolutely love it. Shoots like a large gun, carries like a small one. I want another .45 in a platform other than a 1911 and I'm leaning towards a XD or XDm. I think I like the plain jane XD better than the XDm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I've had mine for about a year now and like everything about it. Shoots great, carries easily and I haven't had any problems with it. Plus you get SA customer service.
    XD45c, XD9sc, LCP

Rollo, I don't believe the xdm subcompact is out in 45 yet. But if you have a chance, check out a 40 cal. The ergonomics were much better for me than the plain xds.
    They have a better barrel...and a better trigger. Just food for thought.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Hi Rollo,

I have no experience with the XD Compacts, but I have an XDm .40 that I can't find fault with. One thing I notice about the XD's (and a lot of other people have remarked on, too), is that they're 'natural pointers' - seems that it doesn't take as much practice to bring POA and POI together pretty consistently.

Sounds to me, though, like you need a Kahr CW45! Dunno about 'match gun' use, but for nightstand or carry, it looks like it'd fit the bill perfectly.

Regards,
    Jim

I had a good looking bi-tone rifle but traded it for a hunting rifle last fall. It as an excellent gun that I wouldn't mind having back.

The only thing I didn't like was that the recoil spring was very strong and my wife had trouble racking the slide. (I want her to be able to easily handle any gun I have.) She can easily handle the Glock 23 I replaced it with.

I have the 4" Service model that has the "normal" longer handle and 13 rounds in the mag by default. It is indeed a bit heavy for an everyday carry, although I've made it work so far. The trigger is definitely no 1911, but it is just as pointable. The thing I like the most about this gun is the way it shoots. I find follow-on shots only barely more challenging than with my XD9 4" Service.

The recoil spring is stiffer than a comparable Glock, but does loosen up a bit over time. Try having your wife push on the frame of the pistol instead of trying to pull the slide. The stiffer spring is useful if you shoot heavier loads more often, like +P.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Slightly OT but FWIW, I have a XD40 that I simply can not find a single negative issue with. Shoots great and has been 100% reliable. I have a bit more in it than I should but after shooting it a lot I have zero remorse. I suspect the XD45 to be very similar.

My best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links