Is the Glock 36 reliable?

This is a discussion on Is the Glock 36 reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering one of these and was wondering how reliable these are compared to other Glocks? I know they had some issues very early on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is the Glock 36 reliable?

I'm considering one of these and was wondering how reliable these are compared to other Glocks? I know they had some issues very early on when this gun first came out,but what's the verdict on current production models?

For those here who own a G36 how has it performed for you?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

AFAIK all glocks are about the same and they are known to be very reliable.
    while nothing is 100% glocks come pretty close. The rare problems with glocks are usually caused by operator error such as FTE's caused by limp wristing or even Kabooms caused by using lead ammo.
    glocks are known for eating thousands of rounds with minimal maintenance, glocks are not for everyone
    you should try and find a range where you can rent one and see if it works for you.

I've shot two. The first was a range gun that had seen plenty of abuse and neglect. It shot perfectly every time for 200 rounds.

I have my own which is pampered and has never had a single issue in 550 rounds. It has been more reliable than my previous Glock 30sf, which didn't like being loaded 10+1.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I'm considering one of these and was wondering how reliable these are compared to other Glocks? I know they had some issues very early on when this gun first came out,but what's the verdict on current production models?

For those here who own a G36 how has it performed for you?

VIP Member
    Mine has been flawless in several THOUSAND rounds. The early ones had some issues, but whatever those were, Glock seems to have worked them out. Just watch your grip. Some find it easy to limp wrist the G36. Just remember you are shooting a compact. 45. There will be some recoil. It isn't a .22.

It is a great gun. Just my opinion.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have a Police Trade in 36 that I found a good deal on. I've only managed to have it to the range once, for about 100 rounds, and it had two failures during that range trip.

However, it came with two magazines, one is a stock magazine, one has a Pierce +1 extension on it, and both malfunctions were with the Pierce. With the stock magazine it ran fine. I have a few more stock magazines on the way for it, and plan on getting over 300 rounds through it in the coming month to get it to a level that I am comfortable with so it can work its way into my carry rotation.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool

Mine has been flawless after about 500 rounds of FMJ, Speer Golden Saber and WW Ranger. Glocks fit my hand well and are the most reliable semi-auto handguns I have ever owned so I have nothing but praise for them.

As Glockman10mm has said : "I trust my life with them". Same here.

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have had mine for about 2 years and it is my primary carry gun. It has around 3k rounds thru it and the only 2 times it has not gone bang for me were with 2 rounds with bad primers that didn't fire in 2 other guns either. It is comfortable to carry all day and is more accurate than I am. It runs fmj rounds and every HP round I have tried without any problems. Try it out if you can and I think you will be happy with it.

Being thinking of getting one myself.

Read that if you put the extension on the mag. and don't add new spring to push the 45acp round you can expect misfeeds.

No idea where to find new mag springs with more strength, may be best to just stick with factory mags as delivered from glock.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Question for those who EDC G36, what IWB holster works best for you?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I have a Police Trade in 36 that I found a good deal on. I've only managed to have it to the range once, for about 100 rounds, and it had two failures during that range trip.

However, it came with two magazines, one is a stock magazine, one has a Pierce +1 extension on it, and both malfunctions were with the Pierce. With the stock magazine it ran fine. I have a few more stock magazines on the way for it, and plan on getting over 300 rounds through it in the coming month to get it to a level that I am comfortable with so it can work its way into my carry rotation.
    I added the Pierce +1 for my G 36 and I had 2 failures with it as well. For some reason (that I forget why now), I took off the Pierce +1 and have not had a single hicup with it since.(300+ rounds) I really don't know if it was me or the Pierce +1, but now that I see you had same thing...... BTW, It is in my carry rotation as I write this. I really like the G 36.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Question for those who EDC G36, what IWB holster works best for you?
    I use the Side Guard Quick Clip holster and Mag holder. Quality at a resonable price. Mine is zero cant carried appendix.

photo.JPG
    click to enlarge

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/QuickClip.htm
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I had one and sold it because if I did not hold it right it would have FTF and while this was caused by limp wristing
    I never had this my G30 (also a .45 cal)
    I,ve owned 6 or 8 glocks over the years and the G36 is the only model that I had any trouble.
    As someone else said , rent one and try it out, if it works for you , go for it , if not try the G30.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Great thread. Thinking of getting one as well.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    I added the Pierce +1 for my G 36 and I had 2 failures with it as well. For some reason (that I forget why now), I took off the Pierce +1 and have not had a single hicup with it since.(300+ rounds) I really don't know if it was me or the Pierce +1, but now that I see you had same thing...... BTW, It is in my carry rotation as I write this. I really like the G 36.
    My stock mag ran fine, it was only the extended one. I actually plan on taking the extension of, but need to find the pieces to do so. Honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference in accuracy with or without the extra room to grip, so I am fine with the stock magazines.

Mine is going to get carried in a High Noon Alter Ego, I haven't tried it out yet, but assume it should be pretty awesome. The Public Secret also tends to get good reviews.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Over two thousand rounds, four different types of ammo, not one problem. I don't baby it, either. Some people do get pinched in the pinky by this gun - another good reason to try one first.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links