Q about XDs - explain the action to me

This is a discussion on Q about XDs - explain the action to me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading an old Guns and Ammo and they listed the XD's as a "single action". I've also seen them described as a striker ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By tunes

Thread: Q about XDs - explain the action to me

Distinguished Member

I was reading an old Guns and Ammo and they listed the XD's as a "single action". I've also seen them described as a striker fire.

The same section described Glocks as a double action.

Please enlighten me - why would they be described differently if they are both a striker fire? I've shot (and own) both, maybe I am getting wrapped around the semantics but I would like to learn more.

cg

JD
    Administrator
    The striker of the XD is fully cocked by the cycling of the slide, the Glock is partially cocked by the cycling of the slide, and then cocked the rest of the way and release by pulling the trigger.

For the XD, pulling the trigger causes one action, the release of the striker, for the Glock, pulling the trigger causes two actions, the completed cocking cycle and the release of the striker.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks. I'll have to shoot them side by side and think about that as I go.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The striker of the XD is fully cocked by the cycling of the slide, the Glock is partially cocked by the cycling of the slide, and then cocked the rest of the way and release by pulling the trigger.

For the XD, pulling the trigger causes one action, the release of the striker, for the Glock, pulling the trigger causes two actions, the completed cocking cycle and the release of the striker.
    +1!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

For me I find the triggers feel similar on XD and Glock. I have an XD9 and XD45, both in 4" Service configuration. The reasons I chose XD over Glock broke down to performance and ergonomics for me.

First, I shot better with the XD.
    Second, I found the XD more comfortable.

The XD has a 1911 inspired 18 degree angle, which is the natural pointing angle of your hand, while the Glock has a 21 degree angle, which feels wrong to me. Using point of aim I shoot high with a Glock every time. With the XD it's right on. Somehow the XD grip feels slightly less square than a Glock to me.

I believe the pointing angle is substantive but this is mostly personal preference.

Also- some people have seemed a little worried about carrying the XD since it has the striker already cocked and it just needs to be released by the trigger. I'm not worried by this as I carry it fully enclosed in a holster, and not ghangsta style. The grip safety makes me even less worried.

Cheers,

Tunes
    BugDude likes this.

Like tunes said I also do not shoot as well with the Glock due to the grip angle. Doesn't make it bad, just not right for me. I like the XD also because of the grip safety. That style safety has worked well on the 1911 for some 100 years and adds the extra security to the fully cocked and locked scenario. I haven't read too many (if any) reports of an XD having an AD while re-holstering. There have been numerous with the Glocks as a result of the operator being careless and complacent. It is not the fault of the gun other than the way that the safety is designed. With the Glock being partially cocked, anything that will engage the trigger (shirt, belt, finger, etc.) could fire the gun. With the XD, unless the grip safety is fully depressed, the trigger is locked. The bottom line is that nothing is totally fool proof and it is up to the operator to use the gray matter for ultimate safety.

Sponsored Links