Great Video that Makes a Good Argument for Choosing the Sig P290 over the Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Great Video that Makes a Good Argument for Choosing the Sig P290 over the Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone considering these two guns for purchase should check this video out. It is a very detailed analysis of the pros and cons of both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Great Video that Makes a Good Argument for Choosing the Sig P290 over the Kahr PM9

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Great Video that Makes a Good Argument for Choosing the Sig P290 over the Kahr PM9

Anyone considering these two guns for purchase should check this video out. It is a very detailed analysis of the pros and cons of both of these handguns.

In conclusion, the author explains why he decided to switch from carrying the Kahr PM series to instead carrying the new Sig P290.

2. Remove Ads

Do you have a link or is my computer acting up? :)

The Tactical Wire had a review of the Sig P290. That reviewer noted that his trigger pull gauge ran out at 12.5 lbs, and then the trigger hook bent. I understand having a heavy DAO trigger for safety, but that seems a bit ridiculous. Not sure if his was out of spec, or if they are all like that.

Just to clarify one of this reviewer's points - CT does, in fact, make a laser for the PM series.

Interesting review, but the proof is really in how well they both function.

This reviewer mentions that he carries these in a fanny pack. If he pocket carried, I think the lighter weight of the Kahr would be a factor...the Sig is heavier.

Anyway, thanks for posting. Good to see some of the differences side by side.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; May 13th, 2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: clarity
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Nice review, But I really don't want to buy either gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Seems to me that the reviewer just bought his Sig and was trying to convince himself that he bought a better gun. Frankly there was seam on the rear of the Sig, running right up the center of the back which he completely overlooked. I also think that the trigger on the Kahr is far more important than the fine finish details he boasts about on the Sig. He didn't mention at all he metal rails in the front dust cover area of the Kahr which the slide also rides on.

When you take the guns out to the range to shoot them, which one is going to shoot better? Given that the trigger is the "key" element that you manipulate, I would say the Kahr would win hands down.

I think he's trying to convince himself and others that the Sig is a better gun.

I'm just sayin'.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I think he's trying to convince himself and others that the Sig is a better gun.
    There's a lot of that goin' on in every forum. Both are good guns to the folks who enjoy them. But why tear down one to justify your own choice?

I'd be more curious to know things like...will the Sig chamber the first round properly if you use the overhand or slingshot method, instead of the slide release lever? Can you do a tap-rack drill with a round in the chamber and a full mag without a jam? Will the Sig function properly with the extended mag? (my PM9 chokes with the 7-rd mag, but works fine with the 6-rd mag)

Accuracy? Reliability? How does the weight impact on the ability to pocket carry the gun?

In any case, I'm not in the market for a new handgun, and I'd certainly wait at least a year before getting a new model anything. BTDT.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

GM
    His first two firearms ... it is time to make an expert review
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is an argument for the 290 over the PM9... seems like, from his own analysis, the loser Kahr was in fact the better pistol. Maybe I missed something?

I'll still take my Ruger LC9 over those two. But guns are as personal as shoes. Some fit great for one and not for another. As long as they fit you right and function properly, that's all that matters.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    He really didn't need 20 minutes of video to convince me that he was in the bag for Sig.

That said, the P290 does look like a fine firearm. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    His first two firearms ... it is time to make an expert review
    Actually, he owns about 50 handguns. He shoots a couple of times every week. So he is hardly a novice.

Here is a photo of his original safe:

And here is a photo of the second safe that he bought so he could store his ever increasing collection:

Here is a web page showing his entire handgun collection:

Handgun collection pictures by PlayboyPenguin - Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    I'm having a hard time seeing how this is an argument for the 290 over the PM9... seems like, from his own analysis, the loser Kahr was in fact the better pistol. Maybe I missed something?

You must have overlooked the fact that he said that he was retiring his PM40, and said that he was going to switch to carrying the P290 instead.

In this photo he shows how he carries concealed. His other passion besides guns is cartoons. Here he is standing in front of his extensive collection of Walt Disney figures:

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Do you have a link or is my computer acting up? :)

The video is embedded right in the post. Try refreshing your screen.

Shooting a sig makes a great argument for not owning one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links