.357 or .38

This is a discussion on .357 or .38 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which do you prefer and what model/maker? There are some models where these calibers are interchangeable.. any info on this would be great too! Looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: .357 or .38

.357 or .38

Which do you prefer and what model/maker?

There are some models where these calibers are interchangeable.. any info on this would be great too!

Looking at both, would like to be persuaded one way =)

younggun

2. Remove Ads

A .357 magnum can fire .38 Specials, but it doesn't go the other way, so they aren't completely interchangeable.

Which I prefer depends on the application. For a lightweight, pocket carry revolver, I prefer to stick with just the .38. It is less expensive, ammo is less expensive, and a little bit shorter as I recall. A snub nosed revolver is not a novice's gun, and takes a fair amount of training and practice to become proficient with. The recoil from an airweight snub nose revolver is pretty brutal in .357, and odds are, that a lot of people will not stick with .357 loads for extended training, because of that. I like to train how I fight, so I am not going to train with mild .38's, and then load full housed .357's for carry, that is my opinion.

Once you get away from the pocket carry sized revolvers, I usually see no reason to go with just a .38, as the larger, heavier revolver will help diminish the recoil. So I prefer full sized .357's to .38's, since the .357 can shoot both rounds.

As far as manufacturers, it is hard to go wrong with either Smith and Wesson, or Ruger. Your intended purpose is going to determine the model you want though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    A .357 magnum can fire .38 Specials, but it doesn't go the other way, so they aren't completely interchangeable.

Which I prefer depends on the application. For a lightweight, pocket carry revolver, I prefer to stick with just the .38. It is less expensive, ammo is less expensive, and a little bit shorter as I recall. A snub nosed revolver is not a novice's gun, and takes a fair amount of training and practice to become proficient with. The recoil from an airweight snub nose revolver is pretty brutal in .357, and odds are, that a lot of people will not stick with .357 loads for extended training, because of that. I like to train how I fight, so I am not going to train with mild .38's, and then load full housed .357's for carry, that is my opinion.

Once you get away from the pocket carry sized revolvers, I usually see no reason to go with just a .38, as the larger, heavier revolver will help diminish the recoil. So I prefer full sized .357's to .38's, since the .357 can shoot both rounds.

As far as manufacturers, it is hard to go wrong with either Smith and Wesson, or Ruger. Your intended purpose is going to determine the model you want though.
    ^ What he said.

Go .357 , normally the same price or close to the same model in a .38. The reasons I say this are several
    1) if you decide to shoot .357's you can,
    2) for resale there is a lot more people looking for .357's than .38's and hold their value better. So, it is much easier to sell.
    3) if you shoot .38's , that's fine.... you know the gun will take any .38 ammo you put in it.
    4) there is but a slight weight difference so it's basically a non-factor.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

What he said...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ex Member
    My pocket carry is a S&W Model 38 Airweight in .38 special, 15 ounces. Belt carry is usually a S&W Model 66, or 19, in .357.

Ruger LCR
    Ruger Sp101
    S&W non air weight J-frame

.357 flavor

.3 5 7 in S P-1 0 1
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    Go with .357 mag. , as has been mentioned, you will be able to shoot .38 spcl. through the firearm.
    If this is to be your only handgun for a while, and you will be carrying it before another handgun purchase, buy a 3 inch barrel, .357 mag. from Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Dan Wesson or Colt, if you have deeper pockets and can find one.
    If this is something to shoot, just for target practice, go with at least a 4-6 inch barrel.
    If you are going to be concealed carrying this firearm buy a good quality holster and belt, by De Santis, or any one of the holsters from the advertisers here, @ DC.
    DO NOT BUY A CHEAPER, FLIMSY HOLSTER, which will not adequately support the weight of the firearm.

Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    As the others have said, get the .357. It gives you the option of shooting either round, which the .38 doesn't. As to model, if your looking for a snubbie, the Ruger SP101, if looking for a longer barrel, Ruger GP100.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm definetly sold on 357 caliber now.. I should've explained my target use also
    Use:
    Back up gun, 9 times out of 10 pocket carry
    I am a big fan of the LCR but have seen some imitations (Cobra Shadow)
    Any other models I should check out beside the S&W and Ruger?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Go .357 , normally the same price or close to the same model in a .38. The reasons I say this are several
    1) if you decide to shoot .357's you can,
    2) for resale there is a lot more people looking for .357's than .38's and hold their value better. So, it is much easier to sell.
    3) if you shoot .38's , that's fine.... you know the gun will take any .38 ammo you put in it.
    4) there is but a slight weight difference so it's basically a non-factor.
    Agreed.

I got my .357 from EAA - Windicator. I got the 2" barrel so I could drop it in my pocket. But they offer a 4" that wasn't in stock at the time or I probably would have gotten that instead. I think there wasn't much price difference in the 2"/4". But, my 2" was only $300 AFTER tax.
    Attached Images
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

This is a tougher question than some of the suggested answers indicate. When you do the comparisons, you'll see that you can always get a dedicated .38 that's substantially lighter than it's .357 cousin.

As with anything else, trust but verify: don't take some Internet person's advice as gospel - confirm for yourself.

When you heft and handle the various possibilities, imagine carrying the thing around with you all day on your hip or in a pocket. It's almost a given that if you get a gun in the 24 oz. or heavier class, eventually you'll be shopping for something lighter.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

.357 Magnum is a stout round. Lots of recoil and muzzle flip and flash out of a snubnosed revolver. The slightly larger and heavier SP101 handles the round well, but it is a tad too large and heavy for pocket carry. An Airweight (alloy frame) model will be smaller and lighter, but may be BRUTAL to shoot depending on your tolerance for recoil. That may be a deciding factor for Airweight in .38 for a pocket gun. I typically love .357 Magnum, but I do have a S&W 442 .38+P for pocket carry and a SP101 .357 Magnum for IWB and OWB carry.
    younggun likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Ruger LCR comes in .357 now. It's heavier than the .38 version and recoil is jarring, even with the recoil reducing grip. But it's certainly compact enough for pocket carry. It takes getting used to if you've gotten accustomed to .38's.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links